Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 11:12 PM

191 posts, read 560,082 times

Advertisements

Hello. My husband & I are considering moving to Folsom. We are in our 40's no kids. Can someone please tell me the pros/cons? What is the weather like in the winter? How about the spring/summer? Does it rain alot? How about snow?

How is the culture? Appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 02:35 AM

8 posts, read 64,214 times
it doesn't snow much or rain much. Folsom is one of my favorite areas to go to near sac. The summers can get hot but in general the weather is amazing. Folsom lake is by far my favorite place to go in california im there just about every day during the summer. Look into old folsom as well there are a couple of historical places scattered through out that area.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:02 PM

791 posts, read 2,958,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherman View Post
Hello. My husband & I are considering moving to Folsom. We are in our 40's no kids. Can someone please tell me the pros/cons? What is the weather like in the winter? How about the spring/summer? Does it rain alot? How about snow?

Folsom is great!! I would move back in a heartbeat
The weather is great, hot summers (I really appreciate those now after living where it is butt cold!), spring is perfect, good amount of rain in the winter but I wouldn't call it a lot, no snow but sometimes fog.
It is a really nice place.Tons of new businesses, great restaurants, and downtown is adorable.Traffic can be pretty bad but I guess that depends on where you are coming from, if you are moving form the bay area it's probably not that bad.
I lived in Folsom and many towns around it and it's really one of my favorites.
The nice part is there is tons of outdoor activities and your not too far from Tahoe either.The only downside for me was no mall, LOL but Roseville isn't far at all and their mall is awesome.
Good luck on your decision!!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:47 PM

105 posts, read 484,411 times
That will soon change. They are building a mall on east bidwill near hwy 50!

you're right though roseville isnt far at all.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:38 PM

141 posts, read 534,850 times
Here's a map of the new mall: http://www.folsomforum.com/docs/Site%20Plan%203-14-07.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpancit View Post
That will soon change. They are building a mall on east bidwill near hwy 50!

you're right though roseville isnt far at all.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:20 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times
I sent you two emails

Feel free to email me anytime

Old 02-01-2008, 09:45 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
I like Folsom quite a bit. Summers are dry, hot in the daytime but cool at night. Winter gets rain perhaps 30-40% of the days between October and April, highs typically in the mid 50's, lows in the upper 30's. Zero snow, you don't have to even think about it. But if you go about an hour east, you will see more snow than anywhere else in the country.

Lot's of shopping, restaurants and entertainment, especially Broadstone Plaza, Broadstone Marketplace, Folsom Gateway and Palladio Mall, all colocated around Iron Point and Bidwell:

Folsom Shopping Guide Including Shopping Malls with Directories.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:51 AM

590 posts, read 931,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSherman View Post

No Snow at all. We usually get most of our rain in December and January. This January was particularly wet when compared to last year where it felt like April in January.
The pros of living in Folsom is that it's a city that is very expensive to live in. The expensive homes keep the riff-raff out and this means we have a low crime rate. The cons of this is we have a fair number of people who have a an elitist attitude and a sense of entitlement(which you'll find in any well-to-do city). We have some of the best schools in all of California with two new schools just this year. The student body come from mostly well-off, professional parents so I think the level of juvenile delinquency is lower than most cities.
Culture? If you're looking for art galleries and fancy restaurants you're not going to find them. Our historic downtown district is mostly little tourist shops and mom and pop style restaurants, which isn't bad actually. You're not going to find a Morton's steak house here but you will find every type of food from good pizza to great breakfast/ lunch diners to excellent Indian food- all presented in a nice setting.

As another person said if you head an hour to the east you'll be in snow heaven. Sierra at Tahoe is the closest ski area-you can be there in 1.5 hours. And an 1.5 hours to the west is the Bay Area.

I will second my concern over the new shopping area that's going in as it will really increase traffic in an already congested area. However it's not going to be your typical mall. There will be a Kaiser, grocery stores and eateries mixed in with the typical mall stores. I'm sure it will be nice when completed and bring in a lot of revenue.
The development that I am most concerned about is the proposed high density housing and business district that might be built on the south side of Hwy 50. They propose 15,000 units be built which will increase the population here by tens of thousands. And with the increase in population comes all the problems it brings-car traffic, smog, too many people in one area.

All in all Folsom is a great place to live, there are many new areas that are away from traffic and away from noise. I would avoid the historic area, unless you like cars zipping through your neighborhood at all times of day. You can't go wrong with the Broadstone and Empire Ranch areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
View detailed profiles of: