Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 05:15 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times

Advertisements

Granite Bay. Some of the best public schools (top scores), close to I-80, right next to Folsom Reservoir for boating. Some of the older areas have mature trees and are not cookie-cutter tracts. Close to all the shopping and restaurants you'd ever want. And going to the airport 3-5 months isn't too bad -- shortcut available by taking Baseline due west to avoid 80 backups.

I would suggest adding another criteria to your list: flooding risk. Granite Bay sits up high and there is no risk. Natomas, Land Park, and the Pocket are all at high risk in a severe flood event. I would not invest in a home in these areas for that reason alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 08:47 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Greenhaven?

Old 12-13-2015, 02:07 PM

139 posts, read 252,747 times
My fiancé and I are having the same issue. We both work downtown and don't want to commute from Roseville/Rocklin/Folsom. We like East Sac and South Land Park but the schools are concerning. Of course Great Schools isn't always accurate. Anyone have experience with the schools in those areas? I've heard McClatchy HS is good if you get into the HISP program. I'm not to familiar with the Sierra Oaks neighborhood, any cons of the area?

Old 12-14-2015, 10:41 AM

572 posts, read 599,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyLF View Post
My fiancé and I are having the same issue. We both work downtown and don't want to commute from Roseville/Rocklin/Folsom. We like East Sac and South Land Park but the schools are concerning. Of course Great Schools isn't always accurate. Anyone have experience with the schools in those areas? I've heard McClatchy HS is good if you get into the HISP program. I'm not to familiar with the Sierra Oaks neighborhood, any cons of the area?
How old are your kids?

I think there are good public elementary school options all over the Sacramento Unified area. That's partly because the schools are smaller and more localized to specific neighborhoods. Also kids generally don't act out as much until middle school age. But I think that's also because more young families are moving into these neighborhoods and becoming more involved with the schools etc.

There are also some interesting charter/lottery school options - especially in South Land Park. I think there is a lot of flux in where kids go to school within Sac Unified. There is a neighborhood assigned school but there are options to request a different school and that is all done based on a lottery system. Some schools are only lottery based - such as the Montessori or Waldorf style schools.

I don't completely understand it all yet. From what I can tell many of the middle and high schools within Sac Unified have some issues apart from a couple of decent ones. McClatchy being considered one of the best around.

If you have little kids or don't have kids yet then it's my opinion you should have a plan for elementary school but not worry too much about the middle and high schools just yet. That's gonna be 10+ years away and a lot can happen in that time. If you like a neighborhood and nice young families are moving in then that is a good sign.

Of course the Rocklin/Folsom/EDH areas will probably always be sought out for their middle/high schools. But that's a long time to be commuting that extra mileage if you really want to be closer to the Sacramento core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento