Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Couple with children moving from Seattle back to Sacramento; seeking advice on where to live, good schools, not cookie cutter, 400k housing budget

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:58 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times

Advertisements

Dulnno if anyone knows my story (the Seattle board sure does), I might be jumping the gun here

But I'm very depressed here in Seattle. And re are many reasons why I've stayed here nearly 4 years, but I need to move back.

My husband gave me the green flag to go ahead and "just look" for jobs (I'm the bigger breadwinner) in the Sacramento area. Especially now that house prices are dropping.

Now where do I live? I lived in Midtown for 8 years, but I have kids now...it's where I love to be...but the schools suck. East Sac is good(not great like the yuppie areas) , land park is okay (I don't like the middle school)

We would move to Davis (my husband's favorite option) but the houses aren't what we are looking for - and pricey!

We aren't very yuppie, and although Roseville, Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Granite Bay are all very nice areas, they are too cookie cutter for us...

But do I move us there? I've thought about Auburn, since it's more evergreeny like Seattle, but can't remember the commute (Hey Remember when Auburn had the only In and Out burger?)

Where to move to...hmmmm. I'm at a loss. I don't want to move my kids somewhere that's WORSE...I want it to be wonderful. Oh and did I mention my Mother in Law lives with us - we need to either bring her with or buy her a condo....

PS - I can't move to Elk Grove - that's where my ex lives (my son's dad) because he and I get along well! Too well for his wife. She hates me and makes his life hell when I'm around. She was the only happy person to see me move to seattle

We will have about $125K per year and selling our home for about 550K, but would like to buy a house for 400K. My dream would be 4 bedrooms (or 3 bedrooms with an extra room like den or loft etc) and 2 baths, at least 2000 sqft. But I don't think it's findable yet...I need the house prices to drop more

I did find this house in Auburn and it's perfect!
ZipRealty, Inc. - Sign In (http://www.ziprealty.com/buy_a_home/logged_in/search/my_home_detail.jsp?listing_num=70126441&property_t ype=SFR&mls=mls_sacramento&cKey=x53mbffz&source=MF MLS - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 09:42 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,466 times
Well I cant help you, as you know, I too am looking to possibly move to Sac. But I wish you the best of luck! I'm sure you'll find something that'll suit your needs.

--formerly DragonOfillFaith

Old 02-03-2008, 10:00 AM

815 posts, read 2,699,378 times
My co-worker just bought a small home with her partner in River Park. It was a two bedroom, two bath fixer upper and she paid just a little over 500k, which I thought was a pretty good deal considering how nice the area is. Although, I haven't seen the house yet. She goes to Sac State part time and can walk to school which she loves!
Best of luck with your housing search and your ultimate move. I know how unpleasant life in Seattle has been for you and how much you've been craving that California sunshine. Sounds like this is exactly what you need!!

Old 02-03-2008, 10:41 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Dulnno if anyone knows my story (the Seattle board sure does), I might be jumping the gun here

But I'm very depressed here in Seattle. And re are many reasons why I've stayed here nearly 4 years, but I need to move back.

My husband gave me the green flag to go ahead and "just look" for jobs (I'm the bigger breadwinner) in the Sacramento area. Especially now that house prices are dropping.

Now where do I live? I lived in Midtown for 8 years, but I have kids now...it's where I love to be...but the schools suck. East Sac is good(not great like the yuppie areas) , land park is okay (I don't like the middle school)

We would move to Davis (my husband's favorite option) but the houses aren't what we are looking for - and pricey!

We aren't very yuppie, and although Roseville, Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Granite Bay are all very nice areas, they are too cookie cutter for us...

But do I move us there? I've thought about Auburn, since it's more evergreeny like Seattle, but can't remember the commute (Hey Remember when Auburn had the only In and Out burger?)

Where to move to...hmmmm. I'm at a loss. I don't want to move my kids somewhere that's WORSE...I want it to be wonderful. Oh and did I mention my Mother in Law lives with us - we need to either bring her with or buy her a condo....

PS - I can't move to Elk Grove - that's where my ex lives (my son's dad) because he and I get along well! Too well for his wife. She hates me and makes his life hell when I'm around. She was the only happy person to see me move to seattle

We will have about $125K per year and selling our home for about 550K, but would like to buy a house for 400K. My dream would be 4 bedrooms (or 3 bedrooms with an extra room like den or loft etc) and 2 baths, at least 2000 sqft. But I don't think it's findable yet...I need the house prices to drop more

I did find this house in Auburn and it's perfect!
ZipRealty, Inc. - Sign In (http://www.ziprealty.com/buy_a_home/logged_in/search/my_home_detail.jsp?listing_num=70126441&property_t ype=SFR&mls=mls_sacramento&cKey=x53mbffz&source=MF MLS - broken link)
As you know, every area has pros and cons. Even with the info you provide, it is difficult for us to guess your levels of priorities or gradations of choice. Let me suggest that you post two lists. On the first list, try to prioritize the attributes you desire. List the MOST important at the top and move toward things you want, but would be willing to compromise on. On the second list, place areas that you absolutely would avoid (like Elk Grove) and move down to "acceptable".

Without the above data, we are more likely to recommend areas that we like because they fit OUR needs, but maybe not yours. For example, if "easy commute" were your highest priority, and your job is in SAC, then Auburn moves down the list. Your post is filled with good info, i.e. target price range, mother-in-law in tow, avoid the ex's area. However, it doesn't tell us if you would trade off one for another. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:35 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,701,853 times
YOu are right - I should start up a list.

As I tell my Sac friends - if it was just me in my life - I would have moved back a long time ago and moved right back to Midtown. Period. That's where I'd want to be.

But now with Kids and a husband - I have to consider everyone else. Which is why I haven't moved back - everyone is happy in Seattle but me.

I'll make a list and get back to everyone. I left Sacramento without kids, and lived a "single without kids" life there (okay my son was 2 when we left but at that age you don't think about schools yet) It's a new ball of wax now

PS - how long is the commute say from Auburn to Rancho Cordova (ohhh I know it's far, I just can't remember how far ith traffic)

And I'm from SO Cal and Sacramento, I know what the traffic is like and where. But since I lived in Midtown I was 20 minutes away from any job.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:09 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
YOu are right - I should start up a list.

As I tell my Sac friends - if it was just me in my life - I would have moved back a long time ago and moved right back to Midtown. Period. That's where I'd want to be.

But now with Kids and a husband - I have to consider everyone else. Which is why I haven't moved back - everyone is happy in Seattle but me.

I'll make a list and get back to everyone. I left Sacramento without kids, and lived a "single without kids" life there (okay my son was 2 when we left but at that age you don't think about schools yet) It's a new ball of wax now

PS - how long is the commute say from Auburn to Rancho Cordova (ohhh I know it's far, I just can't remember how far ith traffic)

And I'm from SO Cal and Sacramento, I know what the traffic is like and where. But since I lived in Midtown I was 20 minutes away from any job.
Depends on where the house is in Auburn and where the job is in Rancho Cordova, but I would say a minimum of an hour each way. If you are on the other side of Auburn up 49 toward Grass Valley, and it is peak hours you could be close to two hours each way. If you go all the way down 80 to downtown and take 50 to Rancho Cordova, it's going the long way around. If you come down to Roseville and take Douglas or East Roseville Parkway to Sunrise or Hazel, it is shorter, but you have a lot of surface street traffic. In the four years since you have been gone, Roseville has exploded with subdivisions and traffic has gotten much worse.

If you have a good job in Rancho Cordova, I would consider a house closer to your work, maybe Folsom or Gold River. El Dorado Hills is close, and even though it doesn't have the same "feel" as Midtown, there are services that a CityGirl may find necessary (since you liked Midtown). You won't get the restaurants, coffee bistros, etc. similar to Midtown if you go semi-rural like Placerville. In Folsom or Gold River, you will have to shop carefully to stay within your price target, and you may have to swallow your aversion to "cookie-cutter" neighborhoods. However, I have made long commutes in LA and Chicago as a trade off for a job I loved, and after a while it just wasn't worth the stress in the car.

If you are serious about moving, get your husband to fly down with you for a three or four day weekend. You can gauge both your attitudes about certain areas, and YOU get a bonus weekend out of Seattle. Good luck.

PS Sorry I can't comment on schools. When I was in high school there were only 25 letters in the alphabet and we still had the 13 colonies.

Last edited by GLS; 02-03-2008 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: Addendum

Old 02-05-2008, 01:03 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Default Miracles Can Happen

I, for one, am very happy for you!

The Pacific Northwest isn't for everyone and I'd say after 4 years you have certainly given it the old college try. Besides, just think of all the stories you can tell of your life in the Washington Wilderness once you are back in California.

If anyone other than you were posting... I would be cautious and pose the question... can you really ever go back and does that place you remember so well even exist anymore?

In your case, I KNOW this is not a problem... the weather in Sacramento is still the same as you remember and Washington weather will probably always stay the same as it is now.

I once posted something to the effect about WA weather, "For some, there is no better place and others can't wait to get out of this place"

Please keep this thread going by posting you experiences relocating back to Sacramento... this is City-Data after all...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-05-2008 at 01:21 AM..

Old 02-05-2008, 10:06 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
I'm moving back to Sacramento too after a 4 year absence....I loved Auburn by the way and did not find the commute that bad at all to Sacramento, but like you will also be working in Rancho Cordova (different than last time, so different circumstances). I have been thinking about Auburn also but worry about the commute specifically to Rancho Cordova. (I'm single and 30 by the way, but I tend to like places that are in a more natural setting, I also like the city it just doesn't tug at my heart strings as much). So actually I would like to ask you (since I never spent a lot of time there) what is it about Mid-town that you like so much? (maybe the reasoning will help you to decide what you want to do!? and help me understand!) Can anyone describe what makes it desirable to some and undesirable to others?

Anyway, all that aside, I really think Auburn is a great choice and a great compromise if you are getting the whole family to move with you!

Old 02-05-2008, 01:09 PM

325 posts, read 1,473,443 times
Have you thought about Fair Oaks? There are some great areas in Fair Oaks and my friends, both teachers, moved there about two-three years ago and they were excited about the schools their kids would be attending.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:10 PM

433 posts, read 2,356,498 times
CityGirl72

I think you should reconsider Folsom. Those cookie-cutter neighborhoods you remember are now under shady trees and quite nice. More restaurants etc. here now. Schools are great. Recreation has always been good here. And now with the Folsom light rail trains make a connection to Rancho, Sac State, Midtown and Downtown easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento