Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 04:39 PM

14 posts, read 16,247 times

Advertisements

Hey,

My husband and I are currently living in the Phoenix Metro Area. I am originally from SoCal and he is from Germany. We lived up in the San Bernardino mountains for about 5 years and have been in AZ for one year now. One...miserable...hot...year. Why oh why did we think we could handle this heat. Anyway, we have been thinking about transferring jobs and moving back to Cali, among other options. Ive never been up north and really cant just take a trip up there to get a feel for the way things really are. So I'm counting on you guys to give me the honest assessment here. BTW, I have looked at stats and other sites for analytical data like cost of living, crime and weather but I feel like its the quality of life that matters and you can't find that data anywhere but here. Plus, maybe it's just me, but those numbers seem not exactly accurate.

We are studying computer programming online. No kids (so school districts dont matter to us), dont do the bar/club scene, and mainly just want to be in a nice, safe, quiet area that we can afford while finishing our educations and enjoy nature before out careers take us elsewhere.

So here are the questions. Is it worth the move? Can we find entry level jobs relatively easily until we can get jobs in programming? Is it safe? Is it affordable?

Last edited by PinkSnowflake; 11-28-2015 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 08:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I understand needing to move from an area that is too hot. I moved to Redding, CA for a year and had to get out of there. Temps of 100+ for up to 6 months, and no cool down at night. Sacramento can be hot, too, but it normally does cool down at night.

I'm happy to live at the coast now. I live near the OR border and it's mild year-round. I love it. It's nothing like Southern CA, though.

I don't know about jobs. But, affordable places where you can get out of the heat in CA where there are also lots of good tech jobs - are hard to find. Supply and demand.

If you just want to start by looking at areas that are cooler and less expensive than the SF Bay Area, then Sacramento would be a good place to look. You should know, that nearly everywhere in the Central Valley in CA is really hot and does not cool down much at night. The Sacramento area is an exception due to the Delta breeze that comes up from the SF Bay.

I love where I live, but there aren't many jobs up here on the coast. You could check out Eureka, but there's probably a lot of competition there, too.

You haven't shared what type of work you do now, so nobody can advise you on whether or not you'd find work in your current professions. That would be helpful. Perhaps you could find work doing what you do now in a smaller, more affordable town on the coast, finish your educations, and then look at moving for your programmer jobs later.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:45 PM

920 posts, read 931,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSnowflake View Post
Hey,

My husband and I are currently living in the Phoenix Metro Area. I am originally from SoCal and he is from Germany. We lived up in the San Bernardino mountains for about 5 years and have been in AZ for one year now. One...miserable...hot...year. Why oh why did we think we could handle this heat. Anyway, we have been thinking about transferring jobs and moving back to Cali, among other options. Ive never been up north and really cant just take a trip up there to get a feel for the way things really are. So I'm counting on you guys to give me the honest assessment here. BTW, I have looked at stats and other sites for analytical data like cost of living, crime and weather but I feel like its the quality of life that matters and you can't find that data anywhere but here. Plus, maybe it's just me, but those numbers seem not exactly accurate.

We are studying computer programming online. No kids (so school districts dont matter to us), dont do the bar/club scene, and mainly just want to be in a nice, safe, quiet area that we can afford while finishing our educations and enjoy nature before out careers take us elsewhere.

So here are the questions. Is it worth the move? Can we find entry level jobs relatively easily until we can get jobs in programming? Is it safe? Is it affordable?
Overall in the Northern California area, much of it has very bad air.I would ensure the air quality is REALLY GOOD by comparing numbers to various cities. Ours is brown much of the time, even on days they say it is safe. Which obviously, they are lying.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:01 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSnowflake View Post
Hey,

Is there a specific reason it needs to be California? You didn't specify any opposition to any particular weather besides extreme heat. Outside of the great weather areas of the state, most of the rest of the state can be replicated other places of the US without the tax burden or red tape of California's monstrous government.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:34 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,654 times
Move someplace that you both like. If you lived in San Bernardino before and you liked it, move back if you get a chance. There's nothing worse than being stuck in a place you don't like. 1 year is enough time to gauge whether you like a place or not.
As for safe and affordable? That is all relative. What are your budgets? What do you call safe vs unsafe?

Old 11-29-2015, 12:41 AM

6,900 posts, read 8,271,145 times
I love living in Sacramento. Easily the best balanced quality of life in California. Much less crowded than SD, LA, Bay Area. Income adjusted for housing puts Sac clearly above anywhere in SoCal. Air quality is much better than LA/San Berdo.

May 2015 - Start of the warm season.

High Temps: Sacramento

70's - 22 days
80's - 7 days
90's - 1 day (actual temp 92F) - feels like temp was below 89F

Low Temps (mornings and nights) : Sacramento

All 31 days in the LOW to mid 50's. - Sacramento Mornings are very comfortable in the warm season, unlike Phoenix.

All Good air days in Sacramento.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-29-2015 at 12:49 AM..

Old 11-29-2015, 12:55 AM

6,900 posts, read 8,271,145 times
August 2015:
Number of Days of 100F +

Sacramento: 5 days

Las Vegas: 26 days

Phoenix: 30 days

Old 11-29-2015, 09:00 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Is there a specific reason it needs to be California? You didn't specify any opposition to any particular weather besides extreme heat. Outside of the great weather areas of the state, most of the rest of the state can be replicated other places of the US without the tax burden or red tape of California's monstrous government.

That's reason enough. Living someplace where you have to go from the A/C house to the A/C car to the A/C store and avoiding being outsider for many, many months is no way to live.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:46 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
That's reason enough. Living someplace where you have to go from the A/C house to the A/C car to the A/C store and avoiding being outsider for many, many months is no way to live.
I don't disagree. Until the OP specifically states a particular weather choice, we remain unknowing. For all we know, they may love the snow. We know they hate the extreme heat is all.There are plenty of areas around the US that are excellent and safe places to live that aren't in California. The OP has stated that they are interested in nature. Colorado, Utah, Washington, etc all come to mind before Sacramento.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:51 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
First off, look at the difference in taxes. Income + property. Property tax in Cali is OK, but income tax is killer. I'd never be a CA resident for that reason alone. Northern CA is very nice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento