Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 12:26 PM

9 posts, read 10,948 times

Advertisements

Thank you @ Tolerance999
I'll check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 10:50 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My honey bee80 View Post
Hi, all I'm in my mid thirties, looking to leave Arizona. I'm more so looking for a town with less traffic, yet opportunities to still enjoy myself. I have two dogs and I'm also an minority. I've read on here about people not being open to non- Caucasians. I"ll be working for myself as well.
I know this question has already been answered, but Sacramento is considered one of the most integrated/diverse cities. It's kind a interesting because we were just talking about this on the local folsom facebook room, and folsomites tend to think we are a very diverse community. However, if you ask someone from Sacramento, such as ppl on this forum, they will be quick to say that folsom is very plain vanilla, even though there are other cultures/races that live there. Historically, suburbs tend to be less diverse. A good AA friend originally from Georgia lives in Fair Oaks. She didnt feel comfortable in Folsom. There's plenty of different flavors of communities to choose from here.

The desire for less traffic would not work around here, unless you didnt have to drive into or around Sacramento.

Quote:
Sacreole, I'm Africa -American. I would rather not exceed 100,000 population size.

As far as activities /hobbies, I enjoy live concerts, art museums , and hiking trails. I would also need a local gym near by.

I'd rather have snow than gloomy rain weather.
Regarding the under 100,000 population, you may want to check this out:
low key California coastal cities under 100,000
California (USA): State, Major Cities, Towns & Places - Population Statistics in Maps and Charts (you can sort by population)

Are you ok with heat and fog in the winter? There are many smaller towns in the central san joaquin valley that you may want to consider. Hanford comes to mind. It's a really cute little town. Or some of the foothill towns such as Shaver Lake, Oakhurst, Three Rivers. Here's another resource for towns based on elevations. http://www.totalescape.com/active/camp/elev.html#mtns

Quote:
Since I wasn't able to find a place where I wanted to live, in California. I've been looking at a different area here in Arizona. I'm putting the matter in my Heavenly Father Jehovah's hand's. I'm planning another trip to California in February. I really want a sunny area. I was looking at Long Beach. I have a friend that lives there. Two blocks from the beach and right off of a busy strip. However, her place is small. I also wanted less of a congested area.
I agree with you, explore but put it in God's hands.
There are tons of nice churches around here if that is a criteria.
I have a friend is somewhat similar situation as you. She moved to the superstition mountain area in Arizona, and loves it.
If you like the coast, you may want to take a peak at the San Luis Obispo area, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, anywhere around the central coast will be less populated.

Last edited by caligirlz; 01-24-2016 at 11:00 PM..

Old 01-25-2016, 02:23 AM

175 posts, read 250,313 times
Sacramento crime and traffic are way higher than San Diego and Ventura County.
An exception is Folsom.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:15 AM

9 posts, read 10,948 times
Caligirlz , thank you for your feedback. Truthfully, I haven't experienced fog since I was a child. Of course I didn't have to drive in it. Heat is fine, I just can't handle rain and gloomy weather.

Yes, I will continue to pray about the matter. Along with doing the foot work, and checking out the areas you mentioned.

Tolerance 999 I didn't know Sacramento had more crime than San Diego? ???? Seems backwards. Oh well there's crime everywhere.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:00 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,279,161 times
San Diego County is second in the state of California for violent crime and property crime. Sacramento is fifth for violent crime and seventh for property crime. So, no, what Tolerance999 is saying is not true. Ventura is a lot lower in both categories. I think Tolerance999 often doesn't demonstrate much tolerance for Sacramento, or at least he is misinformed about what life is really like here.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
San Diego County is second in the state of California for violent crime and property crime. Sacramento is fifth for violent crime and seventh for property crime. So, no, what Tolerance999 is saying is not true. Ventura is a lot lower in both categories. I think Tolerance999 often doesn't demonstrate much tolerance for Sacramento, or at least he is misinformed about what life is really like here.
Judgements against other posters are not welcome here.

My comments are based on city data crime scores.

If you wish to dispute city data numbers then please explain how they are miscalculated.

Sacramento and San Francisco are two of the most poorly run cities in the US. They are stuffy, old, gentrifying, liberal cities with billions of dollars going to pensions and none to the potholes and public services to actually house the homeless, which is God's commandment. Leaving homeless on the streets to have to steal for food is in disobedience to the Lord. And I'm not religious. Just saying this because I know right from wrong.

Readers here should look at the suburbs for more proactive and caring local governments, better schools, less crime. Roseville, rocklin, Lincoln, auburn, Folsom, El dorado Hills, Cameron Park, shingle Springs areas......

Or, in the Bay Area there's Monterey. Very nice.

Last edited by Tolerance999; 01-26-2016 at 01:57 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 09:30 AM

I suppose I'm not sure how Sacramento and San Francisco differ in their approach to cities you're more familiar with, like San Diego and Los Angeles, which are of comparable age (technically older), also gentrifying, also liberal, and also have enormous problems with homelessness. Cities like Roseville, Rocklin etcetera also have homeless issues but either ignore them or shove them to Sacramento, where they become Sacramento's problem. Suburban governments aren't more "proactive and caring," they just shovel their problems in the directions of the nearest big city. And besides, places like El Dorado Hills and Cameron Park don't have governments.

And I'm not sure how claiming you're not religious but then criticize people for "disobedience to the Lord" works either. If you're not religious, then what Lord exactly are you referring to? Richard Dawkins?

Your criticisms of Sacramento seem based on your opinions, not on the facts. Now, you are entitled to your opinion--nobody can make you like Sacramento if you don't like it. But you are not entitled to your own facts. Where your assessment of Sacramento, or your comparison of Sacramento to other cities disagrees with the facts, I'm not making a personal attack on you by providing a counter-argument, and making a personal attack is not my intent.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:15 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolerance999 View Post
Judgements against other posters are not welcome here.
My comments are based on city data crime scores.
If you wish to dispute city data numbers then please explain how they are miscalculated.
Sacramento and San Francisco are two of the most poorly run cities in the US. They are stuffy, old, gentrifying, liberal cities with billions of dollars going to pensions and none to the potholes and public services to actually house the homeless, which is God's commandment. Leaving homeless on the streets to have to steal for food is in disobedience to the Lord. And I'm not religious. Just saying this because I know right from wrong. Readers here should look at the suburbs for more proactive and caring local governments, better schools, less crime. Roseville, rocklin, Lincoln, auburn, Folsom, El dorado Hills, Cameron Park, shingle Springs areas......
Are you actually claiming that Roseville, Rocklin etc. are "caring local governments" that house the homeless? Because if that's what you are saying I will tell you right now you are wrong and that unless you can provide some evidence of that you really should qualify that statement as being your opinion.

And the City Data TOS prohibits personal attacks, disagreeing with another poster is not the same as a personal attack.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:40 PM

Roseville's homeless shelters are limited to one small family shelter and one for single men, the latter of which is operated by a church on a semi-legal basis. I found a page purporting to be a list of homeless services for Placer County, but almost all of the shelters and rehab programs are actually in Sacramento, either city or county! Hilarious and typical. List of homeless resources for the City of Roseville California

Even worse is El Dorado County--the only thing I could find was this list of resources for Placerville (which is the biggest city in El Dorado County) and the first homeless shelter it lists is in Roseville, the rest are in Sacramento!

http://www.homelessresourcesca.org/C...acerville.html

Old 01-27-2016, 12:44 AM

Suburbs of Sacramento have lower unemployment, less homeless, and more affordable housing than central Sacramento.

If you wish to try to defend Sacramento to me, it's not going to work since I know of cities with lower city data crime scores and less unemployment such as San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento