Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:48 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhummingbird View Post
I've been trying to get on Section 8 waitlists. I made it onto one. Lol. The demand is really high but then, being still new to all this, maybe I'm not doing searches correctly. I haven't been lucky enough to get my name drawn in a lottery.
What you should be looking for is subsidized senior housing, not Section 8. The buildings are usually located in walkable neighborhoods, usually safe, pleasant areas. Rent is different for each resident, and is determined by the amount of SS income and other financial assets they may or may not have. Utilities are usually included, i.e.--free. A friend of mine qualified for a 1-br. unit, and is paying a grand total of $150 rent, free utilities, and can walk to two grocery stores and 2 pharmacies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 02:14 PM

174 posts, read 221,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What you should be looking for is subsidized senior housing, not Section 8. The buildings are usually located in walkable neighborhoods, usually safe, pleasant areas. Rent is different for each resident, and is determined by the amount of SS income and other financial assets they may or may not have. Utilities are usually included, i.e.--free. A friend of mine qualified for a 1-br. unit, and is paying a grand total of $150 rent, free utilities, and can walk to two grocery stores and 2 pharmacies.

I'm still trying to get clear on what all the terms mean as well as the differences. I *think* I'm applying for subsidized housing. For the most part, these are the 'affordable' tax credit properties with income restrictions.

But there must be something else that you're referring to because I haven't been able to find anything that includes utilities! That's a great situation your friend has! I'd love to find something like that (in a sunny area )

Old 04-09-2016, 03:09 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,222 times
Quote:
I have expanded my search beyond the 55+. I ruled out the Stockton area because of the high crime rate. My brother-in-law has to go to business meetings in the area and warned me away from it. The building does look well maintained in that picture and I appreciate the link.

I've decided to move to Solvang (I decided last week). Unfortunately I can't contact them. I left a message then tried calling them daily ever since. The voice mail message is blank and I haven't been able to leave a message since Tuesday because the voice mailbox is full.

I wrote an email to someone at the corporate office Thursday morning but haven't heard anything back.

I'm trying to find out when the building opens. I was told probably mid-April. This was back in March. I said I would wait to give 30 days notice until I had a solid move-in date.

I've been keeping in touch with them so as not to lose my place in case I did decide to move to Solvang. Now I can't get ahold of anyone which is disconcerting.
I have a relative living in Stockton and she has been a source of what areas of Stockton are OK. The area she owns her home is one of few safe, well kept, neighborhoods there. The link I sent you is for a rental not all that far from her neighborhood.....although, that does not necessarily mean it is a safe & well kept as where she lives.
From your post above, it looks like you have made a decision. I think Solang will work out well for you. Perhaps the person charged with answering the phone and email at that senior complex there is on vacation. Try again next week. Too early to jump to any negative conclusions.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I have a relative living in Stockton and she has been a source of what areas of Stockton are OK. The area she owns her home is one of few safe, well kept, neighborhoods there. The link I sent you is for a rental not all that far from her neighborhood.....although, that does not necessarily mean it is a safe & well kept as where she lives.
From your post above, it looks like you have made a decision. I think Solang will work out well for you. Perhaps the person charged with answering the phone and email at that senior complex there is on vacation. Try again next week. Too early to jump to any negative conclusions.
Thanks Tikka. It's good to know that the rental is in a safe area. It's also really good to hear you have a relative who says there are areas of Stockton that are okay. I'll definitely keep it in mind if for some reason I get a call from Solvang apts and find out I can't move in. I'll also be checking out an apartment complex in Fair Oaks (although there have been some concerning crime reports).

Thanks too for the advice about not jumping to early negative conclusions. I think that's accurate. We'll see what happens next week. I'll keep you posted!

I wish Paradise didn't get so much rainfall. The beauty of that place is still in my mind.

The rents are a bit too high in this area for what I can get. It seems the waiting lists for the apartment complexes with good property management have long waitlists.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:58 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,222 times
Quote:
Thanks Tikka. It's good to know that the rental is in a safe area. It's also really good to hear you have a relative who says there are areas of Stockton that are okay. I'll definitely keep it in mind if for some reason I get a call from Solvang apts and find out I can't move in. I'll also be checking out an apartment complex in Fair Oaks (although there have been some concerning crime reports).

Thanks too for the advice about not jumping to early negative conclusions. I think that's accurate. We'll see what happens next week. I'll keep you posted!

I wish Paradise didn't get so much rainfall. The beauty of that place is still in my mind.

The rents are a bit too high in this area for what I can get. It seems the waiting lists for the apartment complexes with good property management have long waitlists.
Just bear in mind, I stated a "few" safe neighborhoods. As a side note, UOP is "oldest chartered university in California"

I think it what you heard about crime in Fair Oaks is probably credible. The question though is what is the neighborhood that senior complex is located in and relatively close by like ? It's pretty common knowledge the high crime & gang problem in Oakland. There are areas I would never feel safe walking in there and some areas I would even be nervous to drive through in Oakland. One the other hand, there are few neighborhoods in Oakland I have felt comfortable spending time in and exploring on foot and never once felt threatened

Old 04-10-2016, 09:36 AM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
The advantage of the Fair Oaks place is they accept pets. I have a gut feeling they have roaches. There is a big issue with roaches in this whole area for some reason (Davis too).
If the complex is new there shouldn't be roaches. I live in a 60 year old house in Carmichael which is adjacent to Fair Oaks, we have never had any roaches here and none of my neighbors complain of them.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Just bear in mind, I stated a "few" safe neighborhoods. As a side note, UOP is "oldest chartered university in California"

I think it what you heard about crime in Fair Oaks is probably credible. The question though is what is the neighborhood that senior complex is located in and relatively close by like ? It's pretty common knowledge the high crime & gang problem in Oakland. There are areas I would never feel safe walking in there and some areas I would even be nervous to drive through in Oakland. One the other hand, there are few neighborhoods in Oakland I have felt comfortable spending time in and exploring on foot and never once felt threatened
Fair Oaks is not a dangerous place to live.

https://www.crimereports.com/agency/sacsheriff

Old 04-10-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If the complex is new there shouldn't be roaches. I live in a 60 year old house in Carmichael which is adjacent to Fair Oaks, we have never had any roaches here and none of my neighbors complain of them.

This particular complex isn't brand new. It's a very large complex built in 2001. The Solvang complex is the one that is brand new.

Thanks for letting me know Fair Oaks isn't dangerous. There was a review of the apartment complex that said 2 residents were assaulted at gunpoint and a home invasion (3 separate incidents). This was in 2014.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
This particular complex isn't brand new. It's a very large complex built in 2001. The Solvang complex is the one that is brand new.

Thanks for letting me know Fair Oaks isn't dangerous. There was a review of the apartment complex that said 2 residents were assaulted at gunpoint and a home invasion (3 separate incidents). This was in 2014.
Sorry I misunderstood. Regarding those incidents, they are alarming if they are true, that is alarming, but not everything on the sites with reviews of apartment complexes is, so if I were you I would call the Sacramento Sheriff's department and verify it.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Sorry I misunderstood. Regarding those incidents, they are alarming if they are true, that is alarming, but not everything on the sites with reviews of apartment complexes is, so if I were you I would call the Sacramento Sheriff's department and verify it.
Great idea. Thank you. I'll do that. The complex is on Madison Ave near Hazel. I'd been trying to use various crime reporting sites but contacting the sheriff's office would give me more accurate information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento