Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 PM

154 posts, read 909,891 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the suburbs of Sacramento for way too long. Now I have an 18 month old baby and I don't want to raise her in this over crowded area with no trees, no open space, etc. We're thinking of a move to Chico. We love hot weather and like the college town atmosphere, especially when it's paired with a more rural feel. Anyone have any negatives to share about Chico that I might be unaware of? We are looking for a nice place to raise our daughter, not a hicktown, but not a huge city either. Just some place in the middle. Chico seems beautiful, affordable, and most people there seem to love it. Anyone have input on the area, job market, cost of living, etc? It can't be anymore expensive than here! $1200/mo for a 2 bdrm apt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 05:04 PM

134 posts, read 525,504 times
I lived in Chico for a year while I went to school and I loved it because it reminded me of a homely Midwest town. I don't know how the K-12 system is there though.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:45 AM

117 posts, read 485,868 times
I live in Chico. It's fairly small and boring, but I guess if that's what you like, it's okay. It is a pretty town. Quiet. Housing is still pretty expensive though.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:39 AM

261 posts, read 1,350,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy77 View Post
I have lived in the suburbs of Sacramento for way too long. Now I have an 18 month old baby and I don't want to raise her in this over crowded area with no trees, no open space, etc. We're thinking of a move to Chico. We love hot weather and like the college town atmosphere, especially when it's paired with a more rural feel. Anyone have any negatives to share about Chico that I might be unaware of? We are looking for a nice place to raise our daughter, not a hicktown, but not a huge city either. Just some place in the middle. Chico seems beautiful, affordable, and most people there seem to love it. Anyone have input on the area, job market, cost of living, etc? It can't be anymore expensive than here! $1200/mo for a 2 bdrm apt!
I've always said I love Chico, and I still do. If you are not a big city person as I am, then Chico is a nice alternative. It has everything you need without the big city traffic bad schools and other problems. My only concern for anyone moving there is the job factor. I haven't met a person who lived or lives in Chico that totally hates the place. Therefore people are willing to get paid close to nothing to stay there. So I would strongly recommend moving there with a job that you can rest at night knowing it will be there tomorrow. I know that's a hard thing to do in today's market.

As far as 1200/month rent, that shouldn't be a problem. It might get you a decent house or a really nice apartment with washer/dryer inside, pool and workout room.

As far as beauty, it can't be beat. Anytime of the year, Bidwell park is beautiful. Now, I'm saying this from the perspective of a nature lover and a mountain girl at heart, but Bidwell park is absolutely beautiful all year round for being stuck in the CA valley.

So I say go for it, but just have a job ready.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballer View Post
So I say go for it, but just have a job ready.
I second that. Chico has a service economy, so most of the jobs are low paying and involve using a cash register! The "good" jobs are somewhat hard to come by. I'm sure you'll find one eventually, but it may take awhile.

Housing may be slightly cheaper than in Sac (not that much though), but the jobs also pay less. Most people who live here seem to really like it though. Personally, I don't hate it, but I'm ready for something new (I've lived here since 2001; moved here to go to Chico State and haven't left yet). I'd probably stay if we weren't so far away from the amenities of a major city (the closest larger town is Redding, 1.5 hours away, which is located in a beautiful area but offers NOTHING in the way of culture or excitement and is a fairly crappy place, imho; then we are a little under two hours from Sac).

Old 06-11-2008, 05:35 PM

56 posts, read 226,627 times
Default Just escaped Chico! NEVER looking back!

My husband & I + kids just left Chico & are moving out of state & can NEVER in good standing recomend anyone moving to Chico. There is a HUGE homeless problem, ALOT of crime, we now have drive by shootings, murder happens..... every couple weeks and stabbings at least every weekend. OH and I can't forget to mention HOME INVASIONS!! LOTS & LOTS of home invasions. Also a big drug problem in Chico. People need to realize Chico is NO Longer the sweet little town that it was in its day. My husband & I both went to college in Chico & he was born & raised there. He thought he'd never want to leave. But it has REALLY changed & it no longer is a safe good place to raise a family. It is full of spoiled college students who wreck the town for the community. SO tired of walking to church on Sunday & trying to hide & avoid vomit from my children.
From homeless to drugs & crime.............. thats what stands out most in this town. AVOID it like the plague. OH & housing is still pretty expensive... so you pay alot to live in filth behind locked doors. If I were you I would look into moving to Loomis.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyballer View Post

As far as 1200/month rent, that shouldn't be a problem. It might get you a decent house or a really nice apartment with washer/dryer inside, pool and workout room.
1,200 will get you a two bedroom apartment. But for a decent home you are looking at at least 1,650 & thats for a 3 bedroom 2 bath VERY little yard.

But like I said............. I couldn't get out fast enough.
Traffic IS bad these days. Chico has TRAFFIC reports now! lol Which may not sound like much but my husband grew up iin this town & LOVED it until about 5 ish yrs ago He can not believe how this town has grown & whats its become. Its a city council nightmare mess. The homeless, college students & criminals run the town. Families live around them.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:51 PM

Default ok..... one last thing........

I think its fairly obvious I HATE the town with a PASSION............. BUT CNN actually did a report on Chico CA. last yr being the NUMBER 1 OVER PRICED real estate market in the country. Little CHICO........... the # 1 over priced real estate in the country! AMAZING. My husband told me & I actually had to go look it up to be sure because I couldn't believe someplace as big as CNN would even know about Chico CA. But it was true. It may not be as expensive as Sac. I don't know............... but DON'T fool yourself into thinking its inexpensive like in the 80's. Those days are gone And while listings are not selling before the sign gets put out anymore...... they still are selling & the prices are still expensive...... not enough to make you want to say what the #@!% but enough to make you feel like you got screwed.!
Look around on realtor.com to get an idea.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:46 PM

Okay, simmer down! Chico isn't great, but it is NOT that bad.

You make this place sound like South Central or something. Chico is a low crime area. Anyone can Google it and find out. The only place I really do not recommend is downtown, especially in the "streets" (the avenues are better) near the University. Yes, there are home invasions but from what I've seen they are crimes of opportunity; for instance, someone will leave their door hanging open and someone will steal their stuff. Big surprise. There are also alot of burglaries downtown near the university during school breaks, because theives know most of the students aren't home.

As for housing, yes, it is overpriced. However, $1200 can definitely get you a (somewhat decent) house or a nice apartment. I pay $900 per month for a 3 bedroom (+loft) farmhouse with a large front yard and smaller backyard. It even has trees. Granted, it's an old (100+ years) house, but it's been refurbished and is quite comfortable. My house is probably one of the best deals I've found in Chico, acutally, but you'll have more choices with $1200.

Bottom line: use your $1200 per month to live away from the University, lock your doors like any intelligent person, and you will be fine here.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 29,025 times
Default Sad to be leaving Chico

My husband and I grew up in Chico and our families still live here. We have left and returned several times for school, jobs and adventure. We returned to Chico when our daughter was 2 1/2 years old, because it is such a fabulous place to raise kids. I am reallly not sure where the last poster lives, but we have not experienced any of her description.

Chico has a very family oriented community and most of the schools are very good. The reason houses are so expensive is because people are willing to pay more for the quality of life offered here.

I am sad to say that we will be moving this summer because my husband was layed-off from a local Engineering firm and has accepted a great job in Reno (where we moved from 11 years ago). The good news is that our house has appreciated greatly in value (yeah! for Chico's #1 highest home values rating as noted by previous poster).

My recommendation is that gypsy77 come visit Chico on a Saturday morning: go to the Saturday farmers' market, take a walk through Bidwell park and take a dip in the creek. Look for housing North or East of downtown (away from the college area), visit Greatschools.net to investigate the area schools. If you can get a good paying job in this town it is a wonderful place to live and raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento