U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2008, 09:05 AM

9 posts, read 35,331 times
Smile Sacramento or Apple Valley??

My husband and I are relocating to CA from Michigan. He has two job offers to consider, Sacramento or Apple Valley. I'm doing alot of research, they are totally different areas. We are in our 40's, no kids at home, 3 dogs. How can I decide between Sac and being in Northern CA, or Apple Valley, hot and dry? Our first choice is coastal, but job opportunities are few for docs. We are pretty active, sick of being indoors without sun for months at a time. He's closing his practice here, we've sold our house, now have to make the decision. Any guidance would be helpful!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 10:08 AM

3,255 posts, read 4,200,016 times
I think the Sacarmento area is nicer in general. My friends is a reporter in Victorville/Apple Valley and she complains about it constantly. (we are both from illinois). She says the crime and gangs are just ridiculous and she laments that there are few professionals there...I'm sure some of it is just her not wanting to be there cause I have been there and I think it has a lot of nice things about it. But I have also lived in Sacramento and I think it just a nicer place to be in a lot of ways. It is greener, and I think there are just more types of people and more professional jobs which seems to add to the services available in the Sacramento area.

In Victorville you are close to LA and Las Vegas, in Sacramento you are close to San Francisco and Tahoe.....so I guess think about that and which you would like better!! Apple Valley is drier....but Sacramento is still a lot sunnier than Michigan! The winters are nothing...

Old 02-14-2008, 10:12 AM

3,255 posts, read 4,200,016 times
ps. if it is any indication. my friend is considering a job in Stockton, just to get out of Victorville....

Old 02-17-2008, 09:26 PM

68 posts, read 181,995 times
Hands down I would choose Sacramento!!! No offense to the people who live in Apple valley, but yikes. It is hot as heck out there and there is not much out there.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,934 times
I have lived in Apple Valley for 4 years and I'm not very happy here. It's not a bad place, but it's very boring... there is NOTHING to do here and with the lifesyle you described... I think you would be much happier in Sacramento. There is no outdoor life here in Apple Valley... it's just plain desert with rattle snakes in the "outdoor" places and no shade anywhere. The only outdoor thing to do here is dirt bike/ATV riding. We only have one movie theater and no good resturaunts... that's about it. Average high temperature in the summer is between 95 and 105, but can get up to 117 and the lows in the winter are in the upper teens to 25 and usually snows a little once a year. Quite boring here.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:46 AM

9 posts, read 35,331 times
Hadn't thought of the rattlesnakes, yikes! I can tell we would be happier in Sac, I hope it works out that way for us. Being recently kid-free, my husband and I will be trying new outdoor activities to find what we like, and doesn't sound like much to do in Apple Valley. Thank you to those that replied! One thing is for sure, we can't get out of Michigan fast enough...it's dying here. So many people suffering financially, massive foreclosures, high home costs with low wages. It's scary doing a huge move, but we're looking at it as an adventure! I hope to be out of here before the snow melts.

Last edited by kelley4422; 02-20-2008 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: added on

Old 02-20-2008, 05:56 AM

24,618 posts, read 30,058,477 times
Oh dear,
not to knock Apple Valley and I dont live in either, but in my humble opinion, Sacramento is just way more desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento