Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2016, 04:48 PM

12 posts, read 20,213 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Sacramento from Roseville (I know that's backwards, I'm just a city kinda girl). I have systemic lupus erythematosus and have to avoid sun like the plague, even sunscreen only helps a bit, but I would sure love to be able to walk around outside some. So, I really want to live around as many trees as possible.

I'm going to try to find a place downtown or midtown, but from what I understand the places I can afford are not likely to have dishwashers. For medical reasons, I have to cook a lot from scratch and washing dishes by hand, well, there's just not enough hours in the day for that.

So, can someone direct me to other very shady places that aren't scary and are affordable? On light rail would be ideal. I'd love to be as close to downtown as I can get.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 06:07 PM

661 posts, read 686,813 times
We need to know what you can afford before we make suggestions. Arden, Hollywood/Oak/Tahoe Park maybe? All cheaper than the grid and probably will have the most tree cover. You might be able to find a good deal on an older place with a dishwasher in Downtown/Midtown/East Sac/Curtis Park, check craigslist regularly and be ready to jump on places you like. Or better, walk/bike/drive around the grid and write down the details on all of the for rent signs.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:38 PM

Ah, what a dope, rent of course. :-) I can afford about $800-$850. Do you think that rental range may include downtown/midtown places with dishwashers? Hate to be so high maintenance!

And, I will definitely drive around to see what I can see.

Thanks, good advice....

Old 06-24-2016, 10:31 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,222,143 times
$850 or so should be enough for a small place in Midtown but probably not one with a built-in dishwasher. You can buy small dishwashers (suitable for one person) for around $200 that fit on your countertop, maybe not cheap but it could save you more money than what you'd pay for a fancier place with a built-in dishwasher after a couple months. They also use less power and water than a regular dishwasher, saving you money on utilities. Look at the neighborhoods south of R Street: Southside Park, Richmond Grove, Poverty Ridge, Newton Booth. A bit cheaper because they're not quite at the epicenter of Midtown, but still close to everything and very, very tree-lined streets. They're also close to light rail on R Street.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:31 PM

Thanks wburg - Chief Bloviator made me smile - this is great info. Will start driving around and checking it out where and as you and The Flats recommended - really excited about the big adventure and it so helps to have a place to start.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento