Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 12:13 AM
PBK PBK started this thread

6 posts, read 10,322 times

Advertisements

We are a family with four kids (ages 10-16) considering transfering from Phoenix to Sacramento. We moved to AZ from Europe a few years ago, but have found it difficult to make friends here (and have heard similar stories from others). What is the culture like up there? Friendly? Is it hard to make friends? Is it a more "honest say it in your face culture" like the east cost, or "white lie to be nice" culture?

Sorry if these are wierd questions. Just wanting to be ready.

Last edited by PBK; 08-28-2016 at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 04:02 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
I think if you make a concerted effort to make friends in Sacramento, you'll have success. I would suggest becoming involved in various activities such as church, school, neighborhood associations and recreation clubs to meet folks. That what I did when I moved here more than 12 years ago. Sacramento is well defined by its neighborhoods, so we have a number of active neighborhood associations. Recreational opportunities abound with the American River Parkway, greenbelts, soccer clubs and cycling.

Overall, Sacramento has a fairly friendly, low key vibe. It has the feel of a smaller city but with big city amenities. The culture is less frenetic than the Bay Area or Phoenix but it's not "Minnesota or Seattle Nice". It's one of the more ethnically diverse and integrated metro areas in the country. I personally feel its one of the most underrated cities with lots of hidden charm.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBK View Post
Friendly? Is it hard to make friends? Is it a more "honest say it in your face culture" like the east cost, or "white lie to be nice" culture?
All of the above? There is a huge amount of diversity, especially in different neighborhoods. Overall I agree that it is friendly and relaxed.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:13 AM

32 posts, read 66,363 times
Quote:
We are a family with four kids (ages 10-16) considering transfering from Phoenix to Sacramento. We moved to AZ from Europe a few years ago, but have found it difficult to make friends here (and have heard similar stories from others). What is the culture like up there? Friendly? Is it hard to make friends? Is it a more "honest say it in your face culture" like the east cost, or "white lie to be nice" culture?

As others have stated Sacramento is really a diverse area. Do you have an idea of what area you are considering moving to? Every neighborhood has a different vibe, so it depends on where you live. I would concur that getting involved in the community either though a school organization, church, volunteering, etc. would help you meet people and make friends more easily. We relocated here last year and my children had no problem making friends.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:13 AM

84 posts, read 160,024 times
I find Sacramento to be extremely friendly! Much more so than North Carolina, where we had lived for several years before moving here. We're a 30s-40s couple with one kid, for context. It seems that most of the people I meet here are from this area and have strong roots here. In NC many people had moved there from elsewhere (might be the same in AZ). I find that made it harder to make friends as everyone was new and somewhat adrift; also, people tended to move frequently. In Sac it seems that people stay put and are quite welcoming.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:01 AM

505 posts, read 368,586 times
I also find Sacramento notably more welcoming and open than, say, the Bay Area. I've been greeted by total strangers whenever I head up there to visit family; in contrast, Bay Area folk often wear frowns and RBF is the norm down here. Job is talking about relocating to the central valley next year, and I can't wait to leave.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:11 PM

10 posts, read 10,608 times
Quote:

I guess it just depends on your perception. I moved to Sacramento from the east coast. I've experienced on several occasions random people sitting near me at restaurants observing my food and asking what I ordered and just being very pleasant and social. That would have NEVER happened in my native urban southeastern Pennsylvania.

I wouldn't say it's super in-your-face friendly like Texas but it's not totally standoffish like NYC or something. It's just chill and laid back. People generally mind their own business unless you initiate something and people are usually very inviting and approachable. I honestly have no complaints. This place is heaven compared to where I moved here from.

Last edited by JayBear8611; 09-04-2016 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: add on

Old 09-04-2016, 02:37 PM

22 posts, read 43,655 times
I would echo what others have state previously. The greater Sacramento area is very diverse and generally pretty friendly and welcoming. The urban center is relatively small by must city standards and there's a lot of urban sprawl, so specific neighborhoods can vary pretty significantly in terms of "vibe" and "feel". Not to mention you're only a few hours from the Bay Area and a few hours from Tahoe, which makes just about any type of recreation relatively easy to access...and let's not forget Napa, Wine Country!

Old 09-04-2016, 07:52 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Maybe the best word to describe Sacramento, in a very general way with plenty of exceptions, is "mellow." We're not in a hurry for the most part, but not as laid-back as the South. Sometimes things can get a little smarmy, and the East Coast in-your-face act is pretty rare.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:54 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,571,969 times
Ya it is super friendly here. Night and day different from the bay area. It seems like everyday someone on the street strikes up a conversation with me. In fact, if I was a little more introverted I'd probably be uncomfortable with the amount of detail some of these people offer without even knowing me. But I am cool with pretty much everyone, so I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento