U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-21-2008, 12:30 PM

34 posts, read 115,839 times
Default What makes Folsom "nicer" or "better" than Roseville?

We are looking for a 3 bdrm family home for under 325k in Folsom or Roseville. Everyone that I talk to seems to like Folsom the best, and say that it is nicer than Roseville because of the foothills and smaller size of the city.

We went driving around Folsom last weekend, and I wasn't really as impressed as I thought that I'd be. Maybe it was because there aren't many homes in our price range there, and so we were in older neighborhoods. But in general, Folsom seemed a lot like Roseville to me. I didn't get any type of "small town" feeling. Are there some key differences that I'm missing? Aren't the schools good in both places? I'm just wondering if there is a good reason to consider Folsom when the homes are so much more affordable in Roseville.

I think that both are about the same distance away from my husband's work in Carmichael.

Thanks for any opinions!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 12:36 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,184,009 times
I was there a couple of weekends ago and also did a drive through part of Folsom (think maybe I missed something) traffic was horrible and I just wanted out of there. I used to Live in Rocklin and spent a lot of time in roseville, I like R&R (my new term for rocklin and roseville).

To me -- I think -- the big difference and selling point would be the precense of the lake in folsom and the river path. Otherwise I would probably prefer to stay in more familiar stomping grounds that I also think are a little less congested (could be wrong on that but its been my experience).

Old 02-21-2008, 12:38 PM

13,390 posts, read 15,237,474 times
Folsom is adjacent to El Dorado Hills and Granite Bay, two of the top addresses in metro Sacramento. Roseville has some seedier sides to the city, while the majority of Folsom is quite nice.

Both are good choices though.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:04 PM

105 posts, read 331,600 times
If you plan to buy in Roseville get ready to tack on an extra 5% for it being a declining market. http://www.pmi-us.com/guidelinechanges/media/pmi_distressmktspolicy.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-21-2008, 05:22 PM

96 posts, read 306,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cag25 View Post
We are looking for a 3 bdrm family home for under 325k in Folsom or Roseville. Everyone that I talk to seems to like Folsom the best, and say that it is nicer than Roseville because of the foothills and smaller size of the city.

We went driving around Folsom last weekend, and I wasn't really as impressed as I thought that I'd be. Maybe it was because there aren't many homes in our price range there, and so we were in older neighborhoods. But in general, Folsom seemed a lot like Roseville to me. I didn't get any type of "small town" feeling. Are there some key differences that I'm missing? Aren't the schools good in both places? I'm just wondering if there is a good reason to consider Folsom when the homes are so much more affordable in Roseville.

I think that both are about the same distance away from my husband's work in Carmichael.

Thanks for any opinions!
There's a reason why people you talk to like Folsom over Roseville and that's because it is better in almost everyway (IMO). We're a smaller community, our homes are newer, our shopping places are close and newer, our schools-especially elementary-are ranked higher that R'ville's, we have the lake, we have many, many parks, a bicycling path that runs the entire length and width of the city, and, I kinda hate to say it because I don't want to sound like a snob, but, we have fewer trashy residents when compared to Roseville. Folsom's major employer is Intel so a lot of our families are of the professional white-collar variety.

I think it's funny when people say they drove through Folsom-once (and probably on a weekend)-and said they couldn't believe the traffic. This is funny because I avoid R&R like the plague because of their traffic problems. If you live in Folsom you don't have to drive more than 5 miles to get to restaurants, shopping, doctor's, dentist, etc.

I lived in Granite Bay (close to R&R) a few years ago and we had to drive everywhere to get anywhere. We had a 20 minute commute just to get to the dang freeway. In Folsom I'm on the freeway in 1 minute 55 seconds, no joke.

As for buying a home in this price range: unless you can get a good deal on a home, like a foreclosure, you'd have to be stupid to buy right now. Folsom is one of the last places to have foreclosures (there's no more than 30 here) so prices are just beginning to fall. Look at a foreclosure map for R&R and you'll find triple the amount of f-closures. Just wait two years and you'll have a nice home for dirt cheap.

Commuting to Carmichael will be a pain no matter where you choose to live. You could save yourself a lot of headache and move to a nice part of Fair Oaks. If you have kids though Folsom schools can't be beat.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:20 PM

810 posts, read 2,602,995 times
I actually prefer Roseville... but I suppose that the arguments in favor of Folsom would be:
-Smaller
-Everything's closer
-doesn't take 30 minutes to drive from one side of town to the other
-The worst parts of Roseville are seedier than the worst parts of Folsom
-Folsom has some parts that are just as nice as Granite Bay, whereas Roseville has more of a "cap" on how fancy it gets, due to the fact that it developed right next to Granite Bay, thus "segregating" the areas a little more, so Folsom has a better "cross section" of incomes I suppose.

It's a nice feature of Roseville (or bad, depending on how you think) that you never need to go to other towns to get anything done. Every store has a (possibly several) Roseville locations, and a regional mall.

Every day that passes, however, the two become more similar with Folsom's development.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:25 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,184,009 times
you are right, though I am sure I drove through or around folsom and granite bay lots of times without even consciously thinking about where I was when I was living there. I really was suprised at the traffic but it was rush hour on friday. For me, the fact there is water there is the MAJOR draw, otherwise they are very similiar to me. Also, Roseville's "seedy" parts to me actually seem more...well cultural!

I lived in a part of Rocklin that was closer to Lincoln, and I never encountered the Roseville traffic that much unless I went to the mall or Sacramento, so it was nicer for me in that regard (or rather, my experience of the place anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
There's a reason why people you talk to like Folsom over Roseville and that's because it is better in almost everyway (IMO). We're a smaller community, our homes are newer, our shopping places are close and newer, our schools-especially elementary-are ranked higher that R'ville's, we have the lake, we have many, many parks, a bicycling path that runs the entire length and width of the city, and, I kinda hate to say it because I don't want to sound like a snob, but, we have fewer trashy residents when compared to Roseville. Folsom's major employer is Intel so a lot of our families are of the professional white-collar variety.

I think it's funny when people say they drove through Folsom-once (and probably on a weekend)-and said they couldn't believe the traffic. This is funny because I avoid R&R like the plague because of their traffic problems. If you live in Folsom you don't have to drive more than 5 miles to get to restaurants, shopping, doctor's, dentist, etc.

I lived in Granite Bay (close to R&R) a few years ago and we had to drive everywhere to get anywhere. We had a 20 minute commute just to get to the dang freeway. In Folsom I'm on the freeway in 1 minute 55 seconds, no joke.

As for buying a home in this price range: unless you can get a good deal on a home, like a foreclosure, you'd have to be stupid to buy right now. Folsom is one of the last places to have foreclosures (there's no more than 30 here) so prices are just beginning to fall. Look at a foreclosure map for R&R and you'll find triple the amount of f-closures. Just wait two years and you'll have a nice home for dirt cheap.

Commuting to Carmichael will be a pain no matter where you choose to live. You could save yourself a lot of headache and move to a nice part of Fair Oaks. If you have kids though Folsom schools can't be beat.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:36 AM

34 posts, read 115,839 times
It's nice to hear the different opinions, thanks.

NorCalMan-- We wouldn't mind waiting to buy a home, but I haven't been too sure if prices will really fall much in Folsom. It seems like everyone wants to live there, which makes it so competitive to buy. Do you think that Folsom will have a lot of foreclosures coming up, too, that will bring prices down?

We were hoping that the commute to Carmichael from Folsom would be okay if we took side streets to Madison and then took that down to Carmichael.

We thought about Fair Oaks a little bit, but I'm just not sure about the schools or activities for children there. Plus, all the ugly worn-down shopping centers all over are kind of depressing.

Thanks again!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:55 AM

12 posts, read 45,583 times
The schools, I think, are better in Folsom.

I like shopping better in Folsom. The people seem a little friendlier.

I think the commute to Carmichael from Folsom would be much easier.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:42 PM

96 posts, read 306,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cag25 View Post
It's nice to hear the different opinions, thanks.

NorCalMan-- We wouldn't mind waiting to buy a home, but I haven't been too sure if prices will really fall much in Folsom. It seems like everyone wants to live there, which makes it so competitive to buy. Do you think that Folsom will have a lot of foreclosures coming up, too, that will bring prices down?

We were hoping that the commute to Carmichael from Folsom would be okay if we took side streets to Madison and then took that down to Carmichael.

We thought about Fair Oaks a little bit, but I'm just not sure about the schools or activities for children there. Plus, all the ugly worn-down shopping centers all over are kind of depressing.

Thanks again!
Hello,
I don't really know if f-closure's are going to pick up in Folsom. I think, though, that Folsom really isn't all that different from other parts of the country with respect to sub prime loans and such. Within three streets of where I live there are five homes in f-closure along with at least 6 homes for sale. Many of these for sale homes are sitting empty as the grass is dead and newspapers are piling up. It's funny though, only one of those f-closure homes have a sign out front that says "bank owned". So I think there are more f-closures than we know about.
I think it's only a matter of time before Folsom home prices decline more. The average income in Folsom three years ago was $78K. Even though that's a nice salary it doesn't mean you can buy a home worth $400K without either putting 20% down or getting a subprime loan. Even with great credit no one now can get a 100% financed loan for a $400K house on $78K a year. So this means people are going to have to start putting down payments on the table. But who has $80K for a down payment on a $400K home? Prices are gonna fall, the big question is how far will they fall? At this point it's hard to tell because this f-closure mess is far from over.

As for commuting to Carmichael. I would only take Madison Ave if I lived close to it like in the American River Canyon area of Folsom or near old town Folsom. If you live in, say, a newer area like the Parkway or Empire Ranch it's better to hop on the freeway and take Hwy 50 to Sunrise; Sunrise either to Madison, or, Sunrise to Fair Oaks Blvd to wherever in Carmichael.

Fair Oaks is older (my in-laws live there and my wife went to high school at Del Campo) but it is an area (along with Citrus Heights) that has a lot more F-closures. Citrus Heights especially is an investors dream right now. Again, it all comes down to environment. The schools in Folsom are the newest in Sac County. My high school in Sacto is over 50 years old and looks like a cold war relic when compared to Vista Del Lago (the new H.S. in Folsom). You're right about the store fronts in the Fair Oaks area, it's all very old and strip mall-ish. We decided to move to Folsom in spite of the longer commute to work because the schools and teachers are top notch, the stores are much, much nicer and the people are nicer too. You can always tell what an area will be like based on how many kids in a school qualify for free or reduced lunches. At Russell Ranch elementary in Folsom, three percent of the kids qualify, at Citrus Heights elementary that figure is 43%. At Garfield Elementary in Carmichael (where I actually attended many, many years ago) that figure is 55%. Even though I went to Garfield, sending my child there isn't even within the realm of possibility now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento