U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-26-2008, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 8,763 times
Hi,
Lived in Orangevale for 14 years. Only time I heard "white trash was at a grocery store in Folsom from a high school student talking to her mom." About those trucks with offensive statements on them, they were probably from another town or city. Unfortunately, there is racism everywhere (subtle and blatant).
Observation: A house does not a home make. I did not realize that I was missing out living in Orangevale.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 06:35 PM

3,854 posts, read 5,741,132 times
I'm going to say no. Grew up in that area and use to drive that street at night. No shootings, no problems.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:33 AM

26 posts, read 60,248 times
Living in Orangevale and Fair Oaks can depend on what side of the street you live on. Orangevale is a bit more of a rural feel and can have larger lots. There's nice little pockets of homes in all of these 'burb's.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,061 times
Red face Orangevale is great

I'm surprised anyone would consider Orangevale to be bad. It's a lovely semi-rural setting far enough east of Sacramento to be out of the city, but close enough in for commuting. Orangevale averages the largest building lots in all of Sacramento county. There are many, many 1 acre plus lots especially north of Central Avenue. Folsom is just across the bridge, Sunrise mall and marketplace is very close and the Galleria in Roseville is not a far drive. The schools are excellent and the people are friendly. Many people from the surrounding areas open-enroll their children in our schools. I would have never have considered any of these qualities to be bad!

Old 06-14-2009, 02:41 PM

6 posts, read 14,376 times
Default Orangevale

What are the bad things about Orangevale? Is it safe???

Old 10-05-2010, 09:10 PM

8 posts, read 14,769 times
I live in Fair Oaks and have never seen racist bumper stickers or gang activity. My daughter goes to Golden Valley and we love it. The program is developmentally appropriate and enriching. Granted it's not for everyone (most won't admit the damaging effects of media on young impressionable minds), but it sure beats the $10k+ annual tuition of Sacramento Waldorf

Old 10-06-2010, 05:37 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,120,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I really like the area around "Rollingwood". It's an upscale suburban area and it's right near the river and walking trails. Other than that, overall, it has a very "white trash" feel. I've seen some scary bumper stickers and stickers strategically placed at the local gas stations regarding "white power" and quotes from Hitler on the backs of trucks. Do all people from Orangevale think this way- of course not, but it certainly turned me off to the area in general. I'm sorry if I offended anyone from Orangevale (I know not everyone is like this) but it's the sort of thing I observed when I lived in neighboring Fair Oaks. Coming from the Bay area, it was so obscure and scary to actually see this sort of blatant racism thing. Maybe I was naive and sheltered?
I see that sort of nasty stuff in Carmichael, Orangevale too. Plenty of wanna-be rednecks around here, not everyone but enough!

Old 10-07-2010, 11:18 AM

612 posts, read 680,858 times
C'mon.... let's get real. 1st of all, I want to say that Orangevale has it's positives. Proximity to river, potential for large lots/horse property/chickens etc, location is positive for possible appreciation should the general area improve. There are some lovely homes in the Orangevale area, and overall, I would not avoid it on account of safety because it really isn't bad. Rural-ish close to jobs= diamond in the rough.

HOWEVER... this area is not all shiny and pretty.

The posters who are claiming that it is not likely to find vehicles, residents, and bumper stickers that epitomise the rebel flag from the deep south are lying to you. There are plenty of these around Orangevale. Also, it is extremely congested and difficult to get to either freeway, generally, on account of all the stoplights heading north or south. Many areas of Orangevale have a run down, trashy feel going on. There are some beautiful homes and lots near the river, and I'm sure the master planned neighborhood that was mentioned is of course, master planned with CC and R's and an HOA to please people who are looking for such a thing, but don't gloss over the facts.
To sum this up, if you are looking for acreage near the city, want to own a horse and can't afford Granite bay, or are looking for a long term investment hoping that an area as a whole will improve, then Orangevale is a decent choice. Also if you find one of the nice pockets, or a home near the river/lake Natoma, I can't see any reason to avoid it. It is hit or miss, a Citrus Heights Carmichael Granite bay Folsom hybrid. As far as people moving there for a waldorf school? Go for it if it means so much for you. I am sure you will make it out alive, it is not a hybrid of Compton Long Beach and Inglewood, we are talking some mellow suburbs of Sac. Do not forget to check you sex offender registry database, however, and be prepared to scope out your neighbor unless you are into hearing nonstop 98 rock at loud decipals and "vehicle maintenance" at all hours. TRUTH!

Old 01-01-2011, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,053 times
I have lived in Orangevale for ten 1/2 years. Crime is low. Schools are excellent. Do the research. I have one boy at Pershing, one boy at Pacific Technology Charter. In terms of state tests, both schools are off the chart high scorers. OV is very handy to shopping. It's a people friendly place. The north area has lots of large lots, animals, livestock, and orchards. We have a few small farms still. Very handy to the foothills.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:26 PM

1,940 posts, read 2,515,299 times
This thing with people in Sacramento making claims that everyone not living in Sacramento is a redneck is becoming absurd. It is the same nonsense you hear in San Francisco wherein everyone living east of the Bay is a gun-toting redneck.

I've never seen redneck bumper stickers in Orangevale. The area is stigmatized because it is overwhelmingly white and they aren't worked up about not having enough of everyone else living among them to meet the desires of crowds with a diversity fetish. The area is overwhelmingly white. So what?

Crime in Orangevale is low, with the exception of the immediate area near Main and Greenback where there are several large low-income apartment complexes.

The area has a few Mexicans and Asians. I don't think I've ever seen a black individual in Orangevale, but that doesn't mean there aren't any living there. The age demographics are older too, with most people in the 30+ age group.

The area has tract homes in many areas south of Greenback. These neighbourhoods range from average to very nice. Especially on Main south of Madison. There is an area near Palisades Park which looks like the neighbourhood has been infested with investors who really aren't interested in anything other than collecting rent. However, this area isn't bad. It would certainly be OK for a starter home. The homes look like they need some good yard work more than anything else. North of Greenback is kind of like the neighbourhoods in Arden, with an older housing stock. Streets don't have sidewalks. It is kind of hilly. The residents are also the type of people who really don't care what their neighbours do, as long as it isn't a nuisance.

The areas up and down Hazel Ave vary from block to block, so it is hard to describe that far western area of Orangeburg.

There is a Winco, CVS Pharmacy, Bel Air Grocery, and several small businesses scattered throughout the area. It is really lacking commerce. People either drive into Citrus Heights to go shopping on Sunrise Blvd, or they drive east on Madison and go into Folsom to shop.

Last edited by KC6ZLV; 01-01-2011 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento