U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,646 times

Advertisements

Good Morning Sacramento,
I understand that this is a tall order. I am looking to buy a house for myself (single male) with a $200K budget. For reference, which Sacramento neighborhood would you say is the safest in that budget bracket?
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 10:56 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,241,893 times
For that budget, you could probably find a condo in a decent neighborhood such as South Land Park, Pocket/Greenhaven, North Natomas and College Glen. I live in South Land Park and a 2 bed/2 bath upstairs condo just came on the market for $179K. But for a house, it would be challenging to find something within your budget in a relatively safe and decent neighborhood within Sacramento proper.

Last edited by sacreole; 10-17-2016 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-18-2016, 01:24 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,167,315 times
You are about 6 years too late for that price in a good neighborhood, especially for a house. You might be able to buy a very small home, condo, or small townhouse for that price. Check Realtor.com

Old 10-18-2016, 02:40 PM

26 posts, read 51,910 times
If you're able to pay an HOA, the Mill at Broadway has 1/1 condos (Courts 1 model). I don't think their HOA is too steep, brand new homes right outside of downtown.

For a good neighborhood though, you're pretty much looking at a condo with that budget, as others have suggested. You'll notice that many in that budget are in Oak Park, south of Broadway. That whole neighborhood is changing, but central Oak Park is still quite rough around the edges.

EDIT: You might want to look at the area around Howe Ave/ Fair Oaks Blvd, some very nice streets in that area with condos, if you're lucky.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:41 PM

254 posts, read 345,102 times
You'll probably want to stay away from condo's at that price point. Most condos below $200k have hoa's around ~ $200-300/month and most won't go FHA. To give you an idea a $200k home will have about the same mortgage as a $150k condo with $300/m hoa.

As for where you can get a house in that price range look into 95823, 95820, 95824, 95822, 95838, 95660, 95815, 95817, 95828.

The best thing to do is if you are living in the area now just drive by the neighborhoods and see if they work for YOU!

Old 10-18-2016, 07:28 PM

475 posts, read 569,430 times
sacramento was easy to get a single fam home in a newly built neighborhood all new for 200.... 6 years ago. now it has risen . fresno was like this a few years ago and there too is climbing. but still good values. older homes in sac can still be had for 200, but if getting brand new is not that far away, aim for it.
but honestly, dont waste your money buying a condo if you have 200K to spend. save up a bit more, buy yourself a single family detached home.

get a home that is difficult to get in say the bay area. where you need to make a fortune just to get a condo or townhome there, get yourself a real detached single family home in sac. its one of the reasons why many move away to own a home like that.

this place is pretty much soldout but i know they had plans for cheaper when it just released. not in sac, but in the area.

Cobblestone Community - Plumas Lake, CA | KB Home

that was the cheapest single family BRAND NEW detached homes i found in the sac area.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:43 AM

41,182 posts, read 22,661,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
Cobblestone Community - Plumas Lake, CA | KB Home
that was the cheapest single family BRAND NEW detached homes i found in the sac area.
I don't think most people would consider Plumas lake to be in the Sacramento area.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:46 PM

475 posts, read 569,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think most people would consider Plumas lake to be in the Sacramento area.
lol im not from the sac area, but KBhomes sure does classify it to be in the sacramento area:

kbhome.xxx/new-homes-sacramento-central-valley/cobblestone]Cobblestone Community - Plumas Lake, CA | KB Home

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

maybe sacramento metro area? haha. how is that area by the way. I considered it when the community was announced but i looked at the map and seems to be not much around. id have to drive to do anything or buy anything.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:26 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,241,893 times
Plumas Lake is located in Yuba County between Marysville and Sacramento. It's definitely an exurban bedroom community. The only retail is a Walgreens and a convenience store. It would be considered part of the Yuba City Metropolitan Statistical Area but also part of the Greater Sacramento Area for regional planning purposes.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:07 PM

491 posts, read 779,541 times
At this time, maybe a Condo in Natomas or Elk Grove would be around that price range... both areas have decent parts and parts that have had incidents in the past. You can still get a condo in Folsom for mid-200's but there may be multiple offers making it harder to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento