Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 10:33 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times

Advertisements

If you own a home in Arden-Arcade, Carmichael, Fair Oaks, Citrus Heights: there's a property tax increase on the ballot but it's not obviously stated as such.

The San Juan School District wants to borrow $750 million for school facilities (after having borrowed $350 million in 2012), according to the ballot summary. What it doesn't say is the tax needed for pay for it: $60 per $100,000 of assessed valuation. This is buried on the bottom of Page 5 of the full text of the bond measure. For a typical modest home assessed at $325,000 that's an extra $195 per year added to your property taxes. This $195/year is on top of $503/year that $325k homeowner is currently paying for previous school bond borrowing.

I won't argue here for a Yes or No vote. However, I do think the ballot summary is misleading because it fails to mention there's a property tax increase and is not just an authorization to borrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 10:01 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Well color me dumb, I read it never saw the details about the increase in property tax. I have a grandson in the school district so I probably would have voted yes anyway, but I am very peeved about the deception. There is an elementary school that is only used for administrative purposes, there are never more than three or four cars parked in the lot. I hope my tax money doesn't go toward repairing unused schools

Old 10-29-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Well color me dumb, I read it never saw the details about the increase in property tax. I have a grandson in the school district so I probably would have voted yes anyway, but I am very peeved about the deception...
Here's how San Juan Measure P's ballot summary should have been written:

"...shall San Juan Unified School District issue $750,000,000 in bonds at legal rates, requiring annual independent financial audits, citizens oversight, and keeping all funds local, with an estimated property tax increase of $60 per $100,000 of assessed value?"

I think the County is being very deceptive and dishonest for not including the last part in the ballot summary. Unfortunately there are voters who don't take time to read the ballot pamphlet and make quick judgments solely on the basis of the brief ballot summary.

Measure M in Elk Grove uses the same trick to hide a $38 per $100k property tax increase as well.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:02 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Here's how San Juan Measure P's ballot summary should have been written:

"...shall San Juan Unified School District issue $750,000,000 in bonds at legal rates, requiring annual independent financial audits, citizens oversight, and keeping all funds local, with an estimated property tax increase of $60 per $100,000 of assessed value?"

I think the County is being very deceptive and dishonest for not including the last part in the ballot summary. Unfortunately there are voters who don't take time to read the ballot pamphlet and make quick judgments solely on the basis of the brief ballot summary.

Measure M in Elk Grove uses the same trick to hide a $38 per $100k property tax increase as well.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:30 PM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Well color me dumb, I read it never saw the details about the increase in property tax. I have a grandson in the school district so I probably would have voted yes anyway, but I am very peeved about the deception. There is an elementary school that is only used for administrative purposes, there are never more than three or four cars parked in the lot. I hope my tax money doesn't go toward repairing unused schools
What deception? It's very clear.

You can go to the BOLD, LARGE, CENTER heading that says TAX RATE STATEMENT
Quote:
The best estimate of the highest tax rate which would be required to be levied to fund this bond issue,
based on estimated assessed valuations available at the time of filing of this statement, is 6 cents per $100 ($60
per $100,000) of assessed valuation beginning in fiscal year 2017-2018.
Much ado about nothing. I mean, where did you figure the money was going to come from? It's a school bond requiring voter approval. You really shouldn't have to read to know it's a property tax increase. If you're just not very knowledgeable about how those things work --and not everyone is, that's fine. -- you can read then where it in very clear, concise language states what the maximum expected tax implication would be. It's also explicitly stated that it is a tax on page 1, with the details being carefully hidden under the large, bold, center heading entitled TAX RATE STATEMENT.

Last edited by Malloric; 11-02-2016 at 04:44 PM..

Old 11-02-2016, 07:47 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I did not see it, ok? I'm not saying it wasn't there but clearly I'm not the only one who didn't see it or the OP wouldn't have started a thread about it.

Old 11-03-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
2sleepy seems like an intelligent and reasonable person -- if he or she didn't understand there was a tax increase, how many thousands of other voters missed it too?

Here is the exact ballot wording for Measure P: "San Juan Unified School District Classroom Repair/Student Safety Measure. To repair/upgrade all schools by: repairing aging/deteriorating classrooms/bathrooms/leaky roofs/plumbing/drinking fountains/water pipes/electrical wiring; upgrading classroom technology, math/science/computer labs, vocational education classrooms, and outdated fire safety/security systems; removing asbestos/lead paint; and, repairing, constructing, and acquiring educational facilities/equipment, shall San Juan Unified School District issue $750,000,000 in bonds at legal rates, requiring annual independent financial audits, citizens oversight, and keeping all funds local?"

Nowhere on the ballot itself does it say that the voter's property taxes will be increased if Measure P passes. The same is true for Measure M in Elk Grove.

There are a lot of people out there who don't have time or inclination to read the 230 page ballot pamphlet. Some voters just skim the ballot descriptions. Also, it should not be assumed that all voters know that a local bond measure is financed by a supplemental property tax. For these voters Measure M and P are hidden tax increases.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:13 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Quote:
If you own a home in Arden-Arcade, Carmichael, Fair Oaks, Citrus Heights: there's a property tax increase on the ballot but it's not obviously stated as such.

The San Juan School District wants to borrow $750 million for school facilities (after having borrowed $350 million in 2012), according to the ballot summary. What it doesn't say is the tax needed for pay for it: $60 per $100,000 of assessed valuation. This is buried on the bottom of Page 5 of the full text of the bond measure. For a typical modest home assessed at $325,000 that's an extra $195 per year added to your property taxes. This $195/year is on top of $503/year that $325k homeowner is currently paying for previous school bond borrowing.

I won't argue here for a Yes or No vote. However, I do think the ballot summary is misleading because it fails to mention there's a property tax increase and is not just an authorization to borrow.
Thanks for this informative post. Those thieves are sneaky aren't they? I say no to any tax increases. How much of that money is really going to helping the students? They probably pocket 8 out of the 10 dollars they take from you and spend the remaining 2 dollars helping students. Nothing will change. Public employee union members will drive nice cars and live the life while student performance will continue to decline.

Last edited by davidt1; 11-04-2016 at 10:32 AM..

Old 11-07-2016, 06:26 PM

21,881 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Also, it should not be assumed that all voters know that a local bond measure is financed by a supplemental property tax. For these voters Measure M and P are hidden tax increases.
Or can be expected to inform themselves beyond a two-sentence summary. And yes, it's boilerplate language. There's hundreds of such measures with slight variations of the same language deviously tricking ignorant and lazy voters into voting for a bond because they've never looked at their property tax bills ever in their lives.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:25 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,456,262 times
I just paid my property tax bill today. It included a $187 assessment for San Juan Unified, a $25 assessment for Los Rios College District, $49 for Mission Oaks Park District and various fees.

I remember the vote for the Mission Oaks one. They started it because they lost their county funding (when the Car Tax was dropped)--my car tags went down $12 and my property tax went up $49.

I remember lots of school bonds that have already passed--where did the money for them all go? And we started the Lottery to fund the schools.

I'm wondering if our schools have joined the cast of The Money Pit--cause nothing ever seems to get better no matter how much money we throw at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento