U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 64,466 times
Question whats the best city to live in sacramento?

My husband is getting relocated to Sacramento. We have a 6 month old and another on the way. We're coming from southern ca, we're health food nuts, love outdoor activities, and are all about saving the environment. His office will be in Rancho Cordova, I've read reviews about the city and don't think it fits our life style. We're looking for a safe area with good schools and not a long commute from my husbands job. I'll take all the advice I can get. Please Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 02:56 PM

111 posts, read 311,483 times
Yea Rancho is a pretty icky town. Try Folsom, Folsom is damn nice, not to far. About 10-15 miles on 50. lots of wilderness...."away from it all"...small town vibe. Carmichael, Citrus Heights, fair oaks, orangevale are more "strip mall" towns...they're across 50 on the other side of rancho. Id try Folsom thatd be my number one if i was raisin a family up here. el dorado and granite bay are nice....but thatd be quite the commute during rush hour.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:44 PM

3,177 posts, read 9,837,531 times
What is nice to one person could very well be unacceptable to another.

Are you looking at public schools? What is your budget to buy a home?

The liberal part of Sac is in Midtown - and maybe east sac and land park. The nice areas (Roseville, Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Granite Bay) that are the clean yuppie suburbs don't sound like what you are looking for.

To me (because I've been in your spot since I think like you) You are at that point in your parenting where you will notice "good schools and Safe area" (example: Roseville, Folsom)are different than the lifestyle of "liberal, enviromental, kitchy" (ex: Midtown, Davis)

I would live in Midtown if I didn't have kids (and actually did til my son turned 3) - but it has awful schools

You could try Davis - whic sounds like it would fit your bill - but you would have a hell of a commute

Old 02-25-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
What is nice to one person could very well be unacceptable to another.

Are you looking at public schools? What is your budget to buy a home?

The liberal part of Sac is in Midtown - and maybe east sac and land park. The nice areas (Roseville, Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Granite Bay) that are the clean yuppie suburbs don't sound like what you are looking for.

To me (because I've been in your spot since I think like you) You are at that point in your parenting where you will notice "good schools and Safe area" (example: Roseville, Folsom)are different than the lifestyle of "liberal, enviromental, kitchy" (ex: Midtown, Davis)

I would live in Midtown if I didn't have kids (and actually did til my son turned 3) - but it has awful schools

You could try Davis - whic sounds like it would fit your bill - but you would have a hell of a commute
Thanks For your help, your absolutely right We've never lived in the suburbs, it's not something we know. right now I'm open to both public and private schools, our buying budget is in the 300,000. Was it a hard transition from a liberal lifestyle to a suburban one?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:16 PM

13,408 posts, read 15,565,311 times
With a budget in the 300,000 range, Folsom will be a challenge. You may want to consider Mather area or Capital Village in the newer southern area of Rancho Cordova.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
With a budget in the 300,000 range, Folsom will be a challenge. You may want to consider Mather area or Capital Village in the newer southern area of Rancho Cordova.

I found some really affordable houses in the west sacramento area and in pulsar county are those decent areas to live in with a family??? Thanks for your opinions!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:40 AM

13,408 posts, read 15,565,311 times
I assume you mean Placer County, and that area is very large. Most areas near Sacramento are very nice, but the commute to Rancho Cordova could be very time consuming.

West Sacramento may eventually be a nice place to live, they have certainly expended some efforts to upgrade the area. However, the vast majority is still a bit "dicey" and I would probably choose areas like Citrus Heights or Carmichael over West Sac at this time.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I assume you mean Placer County, and that area is very large. Most areas near Sacramento are very nice, but the commute to Rancho Cordova could be very time consuming.

West Sacramento may eventually be a nice place to live, they have certainly expended some efforts to upgrade the area. However, the vast majority is still a bit "dicey" and I would probably choose areas like Citrus Heights or Carmichael over West Sac at this time.
I checked out davis and loved it the prices for homes are much higher. i was told the commute to rancho cordova is rough how rough are we talking about exactly?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:19 AM

3,177 posts, read 9,837,531 times
You have to cross downtown and then all the way on the 50 - which is a bear! Without traffic, it's a good 40 minutes, with traffic it could take 90 minutes or more

I moved from Sacramento to Seattle (gotta have my liberal eco-friendly lifestyle) but it's not working out for me, I loved Sacramento and the heat and it's too cloudy and damn cold here all year...it's creepy

We are thinking of moving back to Sac, but either Davis or if it's Sac then we need to look into private schools....which are hard to get into

So I haven't done suburbs yet - but I can tell it might happen, since I will sacrifice for my kids to have them in the clean nice schools

300K won't buy you too much unless you go into the likes of Carmichael, Citrus Heights, West Sac etc....but man, those places are icky in my opinion. My friend lives there and although the elementary is pretty good (San Juan School District) the house and the neighborhood suck...si don't have anyone convince you to move there...it's not what you are looking for.

But as I said, you are in the parenting stage of yourlife where you need to decide - Do you move to a place that YOU prefer or to a yuppie neighborhood for the schools and safety for your children...

Old 02-26-2008, 03:17 PM

154 posts, read 579,179 times
The cost of houses around here has dropped considerably. Check out a local list of foreclosure houses too! You may find something now for $300k that was probably $450k not too long ago. Rancho Cordova is yucky. I wouldn't live there with babies to raise. Try Rocklin or Lincoln, they aren't "downtown" Sac, but they are both nice place to raise kids and buy a house. (They are in the suburbs though) The cost of houses around here is so much less than it was a year or two ago. You guys are moving here at the perfect time to buy! Good luck! Welcome to Sac!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento