Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 08:16 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,998 times

Advertisements

With this season's heavy snows, is No. Cal's water crisis over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 11:59 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
Hard to tell because a lot of snow melted in the rain this week, but it's snowing again.

The NoCal water crisis will never be over because the more it rains, the more water they send out of our resevoirs to the delta and SoCal.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:12 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
I've been getting tons of FB posts from my many friends and acquaintances in Northern California from the foothills where I grew up and in the mountains and it is pretty monumental the amount of rain and snow they are getting right now. Even small local streams are all raging torrents and all the hillsides are interspersed with waterfalls. It is nothing that we haven't seen before but it has been several years and certainly it will go a long away to alleviate the drought and fill up the largest reservoirs for the season.

We will still have dry years and water wars in this state but we are getting smarter with our usage and future planning, and it sure is good to see a nice wet storm path hitting us, though there will be flooding and issues to contend with.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:54 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
Update Sacramento News 10 just reported:

Rain: NorCal and Central as far south as Bakersfield show 400-800% of normal. Northern Bay Area and Sacramento area counties showing the highest percentages.

Rain: Orange and San Diego counties 60-85% of normal.

Reservoirs: All in NorCal: Percent of total capacity, from north to south: Shasta 78%; Oroville 69%; Folsom 64%, New Melones 31%; Don Pedro 84%.

Good news..the storm was not as warm as they thought, more snow dropped than anticipated. I think they are going on 10 feet for this round of storms at the ski resorts. Sacramento has received near 6 inches of rain in the last 5 days. All reservoirs are full even in central California, anyone correct me if I'm wrong about the reservoirs south of Sacramento.

American River full, scary looking, Sacramento River, weirs(Sacramento Weir, Yolo Bypass) are being opened to alleviate pressure in Downtown Sac. Century old 100 foot trees are coming down in Sac.

The Consumes River in south Sacramento which has no flood control(no dams) is at flood stage.

Within the Delta small farms and orchards are flooded and private levees are developing boils which could lead to levee failure. Delta Levee roads are inundated.

Sac is getting pounded with rain as we speak, so I'm sure the foothills are too, usually the foothills get almost twice the rain Sac gets. I-80 was closed most of the day today. A bonafide Blizzard warning in effect in Sierra; we have not had a Blizzard warning in over 5-6 years.

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-10-2017 at 08:32 PM..

Old 01-10-2017, 08:01 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
It will take more than one year of almost normal rain and snow to replenish depleted aquifers, OP. And this level of rain and snow would have to continue in future years. We don't know what's around the corner, but this being a LaNina cycle, it's possible we'll be back to drought after this cycle is finished. We'll see, and hope for the best.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:22 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,998 times
Well, that's great news (despite related flood damage of course.) I hope the farmers/ orchards can give us a bountiful harvest this spring as a result.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:24 AM

248 posts, read 803,411 times
Sacramento River from yesterday 1/10/17 :

The American River, taken from Guy West bridge with the H st bridge in the distance 1/8/17

Old 01-11-2017, 10:40 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Update Sacramento News 10 just reported:

Rain: NorCal and Central as far south as Bakersfield show 400-800% of normal. Northern Bay Area and Sacramento area counties showing the highest percentages.

Rain: Orange and San Diego counties 60-85% of normal.

Reservoirs: All in NorCal: Percent of total capacity, from north to south: Shasta 78%; Oroville 69%; Folsom 64%, New Melones 31%; Don Pedro 84%.

Good news..the storm was not as warm as they thought, more snow dropped than anticipated. I think they are going on 10 feet for this round of storms at the ski resorts. Sacramento has received near 6 inches of rain in the last 5 days. All reservoirs are full even in central California, anyone correct me if I'm wrong about the reservoirs south of Sacramento.

American River full, scary looking, Sacramento River, weirs(Sacramento Weir, Yolo Bypass) are being opened to alleviate pressure in Downtown Sac. Century old 100 foot trees are coming down in Sac.

The Consumes River in south Sacramento which has no flood control(no dams) is at flood stage.

Within the Delta small farms and orchards are flooded and private levees are developing boils which could lead to levee failure. Delta Levee roads are inundated.

Sac is getting pounded with rain as we speak, so I'm sure the foothills are too, usually the foothills get almost twice the rain Sac gets. I-80 was closed most of the day today. A bonafide Blizzard warning in effect in Sierra; we have not had a Blizzard warning in over 5-6 years.
Can you please explain the Sacramento Bypass? I found it on the map. I believe it is similar to a system near where I grew up in New Orleans called the Bonnet Carre spillway where they lift weirs up in a manual fashion, is that correct? However, I don't see where the overflow leads, it looks like to farms. In New Orleans the Bonnet Carre spillway leads to Lake Pontchartrain.

Also, I can't seem to find the Yolo Bypass, can you please point to it? (GPS coordinates would be best)

Old 01-11-2017, 11:42 PM

6,892 posts, read 8,267,952 times
The Yolo Bypass is flat wetlands, sometimes farmland, its one of the lowest points in the Sacramento Valley, practically sea level. It's between Woodland and the Sacramento River on its north end where I-5 travels above it. I-5 is a north-south interstate, except for this part I-5 travels west/east as a raised bridge-like structure over the bypass.

The Yolo Bypass continues south traveling under another raised bridge-like structure which is I-80 which travels west/east roughly between El Macero/Davis and West Sacramento and the bypass continues south into open flat wetlands and farmlands eventually making it's way to the Delta where the Sacramento River meets the Carquinez Straights which leads to San Pablo Bay and San Francisco Bay.

When opened the Sacramento Weir releases water from the Sacramento River into the Yolo Bypass north of West Sacramento and Downtown Sacramento.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:15 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
So is the Yolo Bypass a "preserve" or land that can never be undeveloped due to being in a flood plain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento