Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 05:25 PM

27 posts, read 38,408 times

Advertisements

Might sound crazy, but we have never been to this city! We are considering moving here for several reasons. Is this is safe part of town? My husband and I are an interracial couple and were are looking for a diverse place to live. We quickly found Sacramento and got excited; however, we learned about the crime rates. I love that sac is close to several, of what I consider, vacations spots. Not sure what the weather is like in this area so that would be great to know too. Any information would be great. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 06:53 PM

264 posts, read 412,309 times
Roseville's a boring Sacramento suburb, this video posted a while ago pretty much sums it up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGfKCcV2XXo

Old 01-26-2017, 10:00 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,643,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Roseville's a boring Sacramento suburb, this video posted a while ago pretty much sums it up
lol @ the video.

But roseville has some of the nicest restaurants and tons of shopping.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
LOL.. love the video!! Well, where would a good area be for an early 30 couple with two kids? That doesn't sound like a fun life to me! However, I need a very safe area.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:41 AM

40 posts, read 70,990 times
OMG, the video is so funny and so very true (except we don't like Applebees

ProudMomx2: have you visited Roseville yet?

Old 01-27-2017, 10:36 AM

264 posts, read 412,309 times
You gotta give a budget and general work place (where you'll commute to) for us to give proper recommendations.

Roseville may be a burb with a small town area, but it's still only 20-30 mins to downtown Sac if you need to go get dinner, catch a traveling Broadway show, go see a King's game, etc. A daily commute however isn't very fun, it's more like 1hour +/- during traffic.

It is getting very congested and crowded though, like a lot of Sacramento over past few years.

Sac is overall a pretty safe city, areas you'd want to avoid are probably North Highlands and maybe parts of South Sacramento.

You really need to visit for a few days, or get a short term rental first, to see what works best for you and probably primarily to minimize commute to work. Traffic takes getting used to compared to Kansas and best to circumvent it altogether.

There are very few "segregated" neighborhoods here, and a lot of the look and feel can vary from one street to the next if you live closer to downtown. Some older wealthier area are of course more white, like E. Sac, Folsom, EDH, Granite Bay. However, Sac is overall very diverse, I would say almost 25% Asian-ish, 25% White-ish, 25% Black-ish, 25% Brown-ish overall, and many neighborhoods reflect this. Because of the diversity, it's definitely one of more inclusive cities I've lived in.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
You gotta give a budget and general work place (where you'll commute to) for us to give proper recommendations.

Roseville may be a burb with a small town area, but it's still only 20-30 mins to downtown Sac if you need to go get dinner, catch a traveling Broadway show, go see a King's game, etc. A daily commute however isn't very fun, it's more like 1hour +/- during traffic.

It is getting very congested and crowded though, like a lot of Sacramento over past few years.

Sac is overall a pretty safe city, areas you'd want to avoid are probably North Highlands and maybe parts of South Sacramento.

You really need to visit for a few days, or get a short term rental first, to see what works best for you and probably primarily to minimize commute to work. Traffic takes getting used to compared to Kansas and best to circumvent it altogether.

There are very few "segregated" neighborhoods here, and a lot of the look and feel can vary from one street to the next if you live closer to downtown. Some older wealthier area are of course more white, like E. Sac, Folsom, EDH, Granite Bay. However, Sac is overall very diverse, I would say almost 25% Asian-ish, 25% White-ish, 25% Black-ish, 25% Brown-ish overall, and many neighborhoods reflect this. Because of the diversity, it's definitely one of more inclusive cities I've lived in.
Thank you! Well, my husband works from home so.. no drive to worry about. I suppose I am surprised to hear that Sac is a fairly safe city. I think the internet makes it look like there is a lot of crime. Unfortunately, we don't have enough time to visit first so we are going in blind. While it is kinda scary, it is somewhat exciting. Are you from Kansas?

Old 01-27-2017, 12:07 PM

Also, we aren't looking to spend over 2000 for rent as of now. Have no problem living in a small apartment as long as it is in a good area. Our children are multicultural, so we love diversity.

Old 01-27-2017, 02:32 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,809,830 times
Quote:
The neighborhood pictures look like East Sac or Elmhurst.
But hey, if we are going to reference stereotypes, this pretty much rules out all the burbs - Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Granite Bay, Elk Grove.....

I think it's well known, the closer to the city core, the greater the diversity. So, it really depends on what is more important to the OP

Old 01-27-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
The neighborhood pictures look like East Sac or Elmhurst.
But hey, if we are going to reference stereotypes, this pretty much rules out all the burbs - Roseville, Rocklin, Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Granite Bay, Elk Grove.....

I think it's well known, the closer to the city core, the greater the diversity. So, it really depends on what is more important to the OP
This is true and of all states ( I think). It is my hope that people there are somewhat enlightened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento