Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 07:56 AM

5 posts, read 14,341 times

Advertisements

I've been living in an aprtment for years. Firstly, under my old manager, he covered water and sewer included in the rent. After that, the new manager come and started asking for water with $30/person and also telling us to setup an account online thru a website to pay for that.

I don't know if this new manager is trying to pick out our money or not but the bill he sends us clearly states "Bill Not From City of Sacramento." I talk to a person and he said if it is not coming from Sacto, this could be a scam.

The bill also has an PO BOX. An acknowled person told me that I should not pay the bill because of the mail box (PO BOX.)

The new manager also does not release new leases or such. He just gives us a notice that the building LLC now does not cover the water. I doubt about it and smell phishing like:
1) asking people to setup their own account on a website to pay the bill
2) bill from another state
3) PO BOX...
4) A fix price on people water use without odometer

How about your apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 11:00 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
What does your lease say?

Old 02-24-2017, 12:02 PM

711 posts, read 688,515 times
I would start by contacting the Sacramento Renters Helpline: Renters Helpline

This does sound suspiciously like a scam.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:16 PM

251 posts, read 376,149 times
Does your apartment have a leasing office on site that you can go and verify the information?

Old 02-25-2017, 02:58 AM

5 posts, read 14,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
What does your lease say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekjones View Post
Does your apartment have a leasing office on site that you can go and verify the information?
They do have a basic website for contact, information and photo gallery but it does not say anything about this utility billing contract.

Before they sent us a paper saying this
Quote:
"Dear Resident, NAME-OF-3rd-Party Billing Service, Inc. will be our utility billing contractor....
Information for mail the payment and a website for it" in brief!!!
They had asked us to bring our SMUD and PG&E comes to them to do some stuff I don't even know!

And if we have questions, we must call the 3rd party (the paper does not say anything to my current apartment infomation.)

Old 04-27-2017, 12:11 AM

113 posts, read 159,490 times
The short answer is yes, a landlord can charge whatever he wants.. as long as it's clearly stated in the lease agreement. Yours says that water and sewer should be included. Is your lease up? Are you month to month? If you are still in a yearly lease agreement, they can't charge you for these additional utilities.

I don't think it sounds fishy, but I do think you need to have a conversation with your landlord. You should only be paying what was agreed upon in the lease agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento