U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 08:41 PM

105 posts, read 438,799 times

Advertisements

Ok I'm running into an issue here. Its feeling like there aren't many houses popping up in Folsom anymore and I'm getting antsy. I really want to stay in Folsom but its taking forever for new listings. We have an offer out on a short sale but short sales are extremely slow, and if for some reason the bank doesn't want to take our offer then all that time has gone wasted.

Semi close to folsom is the anatolia portion of rancho. I know I know, its not close to being the same, but for almost 50% of the price in Folsom you get a huge house. Thats almost enough to have me consider buying over there. These are my pros and cons. Tell me what you think:

pros:
cheap
huge sq footage
most are equipped with granite and upgrades already
central community area w/pools, bball, tennis, work out room, etc.
CHEAP

cons:
not a great school district (but with money saved we could actually do private school)
sunrise blvd traffic
far from groceries (unless you shop at costco)
airport noise
HOA (but it includes cable and the community area)

If there are people that live in anatolia I'd appreciate comments about that area.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 11,037 times
Default No comparison

You got the answer in your post..

There is a reason why Anatolia prices are so cheap. Around 25% houses are empty at this time. It will be a run down area in a few years. Those houses should not be even built, if not for housing bubble.. You are comparing apple to orange..

I am seeing some bad signs (in terms of people and kids) living in Anatolia now. It will be a ghetto in few years..

Buy a smaller house in Folsom and be happy with good schools.

Even with all the money saved in buying at Anatolia, where are you finding good private schools in the area? None.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:19 AM

810 posts, read 3,518,454 times
Think of all the tract house communities and subdivisions out there that have turned bad where you think "this was once a nice, new place... what happened?" Then look at Anatolia. 'nuff said.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:21 AM

702 posts, read 2,199,295 times
We are relocating to Sac from Chicago and looked at Anatolia only because it had a couple of builders we wanted to look at, not because we were considering the community. From an outside perspective I have to agree with other people's observations.

Folsom seems to be a lovely, stable area and from what others have said seems to have good schools. There is a reason for that phrase "location, location, location".

Old 03-04-2008, 09:00 AM

ok very true. sigh, I'll just have to wait out this short sale and cross my fingers.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:49 AM

Oh hey Gotpancit! How are you? It will all work out - the fed is cutting rates again and has been saying how bad the housing market is, so the deals will be available for people who are in a position to take advantage of them. Have you looked at forclosures?

Old 03-04-2008, 01:33 PM

I'm doing good Cali. Just kind of wondering when I can eventually move in to my new home. I think more than half of the houses we have looked at on MLS have been foreclosures. So essentially yes we have been looking at them.

Unfortunately the FED rate cut isn't going to effect the APR on our mortgages much if any. The banks are already hurting for money, so they won't give us the same rate cut they are getting from the FED. They need to make up for all the foreclosures that they have to pay for.

The housing market is pretty bad, but for some reason Folsom isn't getting beat down like the Anatolias, or elk groves or rosevilles. I hope if we do get this house in folsom that the market in folsom will pick up...but not until we get our house .

How is your house hunting going?

Oh and I just heard from a co-worker if you get your loan through Wells fargo today be prepared to come up with 25% down!!!! I don't know if its true, but I know thats who his current mortgage is with. Wells fargo slated ALL of Sacramento as BELOW distressed market. Distressed markets are bad enough where you have to add an additional 5% to your downpayment, but BELOW that is even worse. yikes!

Old 03-04-2008, 01:44 PM

Hi - yes the rate cut wont help mortgage rates but it helps our HELOC and further supports the view that the economy is in trouble.

We have decided for now that Lennar in EDH is going to be the best fit for us - solar, mountain views, nice community etc. We have been talking with them about what they need to hold a lot and they initially said $7,500 down and pass the credit check. Well, that's fine until they came back and said they needed to see the 20% down payment in cash - where did we have it in our account? Of course like most other people it's wrapped up in our home. They don't want a contingency, so we said fine, we would wait. This is especially frustrating because their lendor told us we were fine and they would allow us to have the loan and contingency, but the builder said no and the sales person was between a rock and a hard place. I think time is on our side and I think the homes there are not priced with the current market, so we'll wait until they are prepared to negotiate a little more. If not, we will buy an existing home with a pool and retro fit it with solar.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:05 PM

3 posts, read 22,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpancit View Post
Ok I'm running into an issue here. Its feeling like there aren't many houses popping up in Folsom anymore and I'm getting antsy. I really want to stay in Folsom but its taking forever for new listings. We have an offer out on a short sale but short sales are extremely slow, and if for some reason the bank doesn't want to take our offer then all that time has gone wasted.

Semi close to folsom is the anatolia portion of rancho. I know I know, its not close to being the same, but for almost 50% of the price in Folsom you get a huge house. Thats almost enough to have me consider buying over there. These are my pros and cons. Tell me what you think:

pros:
cheap
huge sq footage
most are equipped with granite and upgrades already
central community area w/pools, bball, tennis, work out room, etc.
CHEAP

cons:
not a great school district (but with money saved we could actually do private school)
sunrise blvd traffic
far from groceries (unless you shop at costco)
airport noise
HOA (but it includes cable and the community area)

If there are people that live in anatolia I'd appreciate comments about that area.

Thanks in advance.
The school district is not a Rancho Cordova School district. It Elk Grove School district which is ranked very high nation wide.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 15,169 times
Wow. People are so sure about what's going to happen in a few years. It must be nice to have special "see into the future" powers. No one knows with any certainty, what Anatolia is going to be like down the road. What you can be sure of is what you see today. Folsom is an established community with all the necessary resources. There isn't much the city doesn't have or if not they're currently building it. Anatolia on the other hand is in a new city, with new city issues, and doesn't have the community resources of an established area. With that said, who can predict what Anatolia will be like in a few years.
I don't even want to give credence to the comments about the kids, people who live in Anatolia because it's not valid. A ghetto? What a crappy comment. If you're going to make statements like this give some valid basis.

FYI - Anatolia kids go to Elk Grove School District not Rancho...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or