Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:42 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,412 times

Advertisements

While we are on this topic, what the hell is it with Sacramento and the bachelor's degree requirements? It seems like any employer a step above the big box stores requires a degree here while the same positions in other parts of the country, even Los Angeles, might require an associate's degree, if they require one at all. I'm working on the degree, and I should have it done by the end of the year. However, this one issue has kept me unemployed or stuck in temporary jobs. It's not like this area has a high percentage of people with degrees, which is around 30%, even with all the colleges nearby. It just doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 01:20 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,636,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
I don't think the State does drug tests unless the job actually involves some level of safety, such as operating heavy equipment.
Actually, due to the state "drug free work environment", quite a few state government departments can (and will) order drug tests for "reasonable suspicion" that an employee is not complying with the drug free workplace regulation. In some departments, even positions like administrative assistant fall under these guidelines.

So, while it is true that you do not need a drug test for every single state job to get hired (although there are quite a few positions that you will) and also true that not every state employee is regularly drug tested after hire, in many departments and positions, you can be ordered to take a drug test if they suspect its an issue after you start working in many state government departments.

Again, if you're a regular drug user, a civil service job at the state or federal level may not be a good fit for this reason. Better to look elsewhere if a drug free work place is going to be an issue. Some municipalities and many private firms, for instance, are a little more lax.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-20-2017 at 01:30 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinbloob757 View Post
I was browsing state jobs in Sacramento County and decided a while back I wanted to become an Office Technician, but noticed that pay isn't so great. So, to make it easier I'm looking for a job with the following qualifications:

1. State Job in Sacramento County

2. Office Oriented

3. $50,000 - $100,000 annual pay

4. Little or no presentation requirements in front of an audience. If it's presenting for 3 or 4 people it's fine.

5. No random drug test, pre-employment is fine. No pre-employment drug test is even better.

6. No College Degree Necessary.

7. Not much experience, mostly just passing the state job examination and or getting a certificate or two in something (not a college degree) like typing perhaps.

Thank You!
Pardon me while I stifle my laughter. With luck you might be able to find a position as an Office Assistant (OA) but that's about all I think you might be qualified for. Being "stuck" in a clerical position you'll find it very difficult to achieve higher paying positions without increasing your education.

Aspirations are all good and well but you have to be realistic. As a retired Manager II, if you came before me for an interview, if you even qualified for one, it's doubtful I'd find you to be a viable candidate for a job, especially if you displayed/articulated visions of grandeur unrealistically. Entitlement attitudes don't play well.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
While we are on this topic, what the hell is it with Sacramento and the bachelor's degree requirements? It seems like any employer a step above the big box stores requires a degree here while the same positions in other parts of the country, even Los Angeles, might require an associate's degree, if they require one at all. I'm working on the degree, and I should have it done by the end of the year. However, this one issue has kept me unemployed or stuck in temporary jobs. It's not like this area has a high percentage of people with degrees, which is around 30%, even with all the colleges nearby. It just doesn't make sense.
There are still many people with college degrees vying for jobs. It's all about being competitive.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:42 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Pardon me while I stifle my laughter. With luck you might be able to find a position as an Office Assistant (OA) but that's about all I think you might be qualified for. Being "stuck" in a clerical position you'll find it very difficult to achieve higher paying positions without increasing your education.

Aspirations are all good and well but you have to be realistic. As a retired Manager II, if you came before me for an interview, if you even qualified for one, it's doubtful I'd find you to be a viable candidate for a job, especially if you displayed/articulated visions of grandeur unrealistically. Entitlement attitudes don't play well.
Agreed, and as a retired public sector supervisor if I had an employee who showed up stoned or had any appearance of using drugs I would make sure they never passed probation and making THAT happen does not require a drug test.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:50 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Not all jobs require a degree, but jobs paying $100,000 a year usually do. You can get trainee jobs with the State, but you will probably earn less than 30k a year but some of those have promotional paths that don't require a degree. My son is a public sector CPA and he has people in his office with no degree, or with a two year degree and after working in those positions for a number of years they can substitute their experience for a bachelor's degree. That can take them to a good paying job, but to move past that into a supervisory position they would still need a bachelor's degree.

Alternatively if you lower your 'expectations' apply to city and county agencies, get a job as a public works aide, or a police dispatch trainee. Or if you have demonstrable mechanical abilities apply for caltrans.

If you can make a decision to leave the drugs alone, apply for Dept. of Corrections, it's the best job in California for a person without a degree, you can easily earn $70,000 - $90,000 a year without having an ounce of common sense.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:59 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,412 times
Quote:
There are still many people with college degrees vying for jobs. It's all about being competitive.
But, employers are complaining they can't find educated, qualified people. This "problem" varies by geographic region. Locally, I see many jobs that shouldn't require a degree that require one, and the same type of jobs don't require degrees in other areas, according to the job postings.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:35 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,836,360 times
Quote:
Pardon me while I stifle my laughter.
I had the same reaction.

I was actually thinking the OP should look at a trade school. Doing something dirty most people dont want to do. Plumbers make great money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento