U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:33 AM

66 posts, read 54,669 times

Advertisements

Hi there. After months of waiting to see what area would become available first for my husband (and researching a bunch of different places in anticipation) to transfer on a promotion - Philadelphia came open first and we were 95% sure he would be asked to relocate there - and not too excited about it.

Just yesterday we learned that the SMF/SJC/SFO district has become available and we have been wanting to move to CA for a very long time. He hasn't been offered the position official yet but he will start working out there in a few weeks - just booked the flight today. We have family in San Jose, Groveland, Tehachapi and in Oregon and my husband is originally from Simi Valley. I have visited SFO and SJC but actually I have never been to Sacramento!

We are from a semi-upscale suburb of Dallas, near DFW Airport. Daughter will be a junior in high school this fall and our son just graduated from HS and is working. I'm a travel agent with nearly 20 years in the hospitality industry working for a company doing corporate travel and run a leisure agency out of my home on the side. Not sure if my company will keep me on in a telecommute position when we move but if not, I don't plan on going back full time right away. I'd like to find a home based position and continue my home agency as well. My husband will be covering a vast area in the places I mentioned so commuting for him is not a concern. He has to travel regardless.

After a bit of research - literally just a few hours, it is obvious that the most affordable place for us would be in or around Placer County. Our daughter plays high school and competitive water polo and wants to play in college - many of her high school team mates have graduated and signed on with CA colleges - which was her goal as well.

So if you could, please tell me everything you know about these areas - the good and bad? Are there areas of each to avoid? Any particular neighborhoods better than others? We are used to uber-suburban living and from what I can see - Roseville seems to be similar to where we are now and I've only read good things about it. The housing prices are GOOD. I assume our price range would be anywhere from $300k- $500k - looking to downsize from our huge TX house but still have enough room for our 3 dogs and would rather get a home that does not need any immediate work. Property taxes on our current home are almost $7k/year - although I am aware that CA has state taxes, so that might be a wash.

I'd appreciate any information you have on these areas - we are super stoked about the possibility of moving to CA. We have always loved it there and have wanted this for a very, very long time!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 01:57 PM

Wow. I guess I gave too much info?

Old 06-30-2017, 02:16 PM

784 posts, read 682,464 times
Del Oro High (Loomis/Penryn/Newcastle) has a good reputation. You should be able to find something in the $500K range in that area. Try the metrolistpro.com site for listings.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:34 PM

I'm having the hardest time getting a Roseville area realtor to return my messages. I've contacted three and....crickets.....

Any suggestions on a good, patient realtor or office that has experience with company relocation?

Old 06-30-2017, 02:36 PM

311 posts, read 495,875 times
Congratulations on your upcoming move! From what you've described, I think you'd be very happy in Roseville, Rocklin or Folsom. Davis is likely out of your price range. You might consider researching which schools in the area have the best water polo teams. I am sure someone more familiar with these suburbs will come along with some advice!

Old 07-01-2017, 08:57 PM

116 posts, read 258,426 times
CA property tax is officially 1%, but most newer neighborhoods have Mello-Roos measures that add about another 1%. So, 7k would be a tax from a 350k home, and it would be a small house or more likely condo, especially in Davis (houses in Davis are typically 650k/800k/1.2M depending on the size and year).

Old 07-01-2017, 09:43 PM

8,760 posts, read 2,336,698 times
I have a family member who lives in Rocklin, and she loves it. If someone forced me to move back to California (I'm a Bay Area native who has also lived in Southern California and I now live a bit over 200 miles away from you in The Woodlands), I would probably choose Rocklin over anywhere else. I love to ski, and of course Rocklin is closer to Tahoe than is anywhere in the Bay Area. I've done a few charity walks there, and think it's great. My relative stayed in her house after her husband died (she has always had her own well paying career as well), and growing up there, the schools prepared her son well for UCLA. My relative has 3 big dogs and loves taking them for long walks. At one point, another household in my family contemplated moving from the deep south back to California, and they were looking at Granite Bay....overkill, IMO.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:01 PM

663 posts, read 1,552,349 times
Looks like the Sac Polo competitive team practices at Sierra College in Rocklin. Rocklin meets all of your criteria. Home Page - Sacramento Water Polo

Old 07-03-2017, 08:18 AM

Thank you all, I appreciate it. I need to get in touch with a realtor pretty quick to get the ball rolling.

In your opinion - which is more desirable - Rocklin or Roseville?

Old 07-03-2017, 01:24 PM

116 posts, read 258,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockfam View Post
In your opinion - which is more desirable - Rocklin or Roseville?
My perceptions is that they both are typical suburbs, maybe Roseville is a bit better, Rocklin is just a longer drive to civilization
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or