U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 12:13 PM

32 posts, read 15,685 times

Advertisements

For the last fifty years, California, and certainly Sacramento, has been encouraging the homeless to leave from wherever they are, and come to this area. Fat social benefits paid for by taxpayers (the ones who actually pay significant taxes). Now the mayor wants to build housing for them at our expense! Why shouldn't the homeless come from the mid-west? I know I would if I could hop a train and I was homeless. Sure, the weather attracts them, too, but the social welfare net (for homeless), here, beats almost anywhere else. Then, one day, we wake to the stench, and wonder how this problem got so bad, and we're shocked. So we spend taxpayer dollars in the name of "helping" them, without a thought to the notion that we are inviting more of them to come and enjoy the robust benefits of the welfare state.

Natomas is not a great Sac neighborhood IMO, but there ARE very nice neighborhoods comparable to the best anywhere else. I live in East Sac; as long as I stay in east Sac, and don't spend any time downtown, all is well and I forget these larger issues that the larger California cities grapple with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 02:29 PM

26 posts, read 27,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahdah View Post
Hi there. Being new to a place is fun in some ways. I have met people here in Sac, but they are drug addicts or turn out to be very bizarre. For example, when I 1st came here, I rented a 2nd bedroom from a woman in Citrus Heights. She seemed perfectly normal, but in the mornings, I would find, she would wipe herself on the bathroom hand towel, leaving a foul brown stain.
I thought she was just a one off, but it turns out, bizarre verging on hostile behavior isnt unusual here in Sac.
I was mugged for the 1st time in my life here (on my birthday).
Ive been threatened twice not to call police or the person in question would get me arrested by claiming a hate crime, "I'll tell the police you called me the 'n word'".

About meeting people. I stayed in Elko, NV for 6 weeks last year. I became friendly with 2 of the women who worked at the hotel where I stayed and exchanged Christmas cards last Dec. I havent met a single person I would send a Christmas card to in Sacramento and I'm not expecting anyone here even knows what Christmas cards are.
Years ago, when I 1st came to CA, I stayed in Pasadena for 6 months. I didnt know anyone and found people werent too friendly. But then I moved to Venice and met people right off the bat.

So, basically, I find, it depends where you are, even in the same county. Maybe there is a section of Sacramento where the people are friendlier? They say the people make the place and I've discovered that is very true.
Hah, the most anecdotal review I have ever seen has been followed up with even more specific anecdotes. Please explore beyond your immediate neighborhood in the next place you live, maybe you'll get some Christmas cards.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:31 PM

2,019 posts, read 2,705,921 times
I'm pretty new to Sacramento, and the OP forgot to mention the drivers. There are so many cars on the road that are in a hurry. Drivers will zig zag between lanes to get one car up in the line at the next light, many seem completely unaware of those things called turn signals and WAY too many people on their phone(this, i think is likely a nationwide problem). Don't dare try to signal them that there actions put you in danger, the reactions are angry and violent.

Yeah yeah, anecdotal....get over it, it's the internet.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:38 PM

23 posts, read 12,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnohara View Post
For the last fifty years, California, and certainly Sacramento, has been encouraging the homeless to leave from wherever they are, and come to this area. Fat social benefits paid for by taxpayers (the ones who actually pay significant taxes). Now the mayor wants to build housing for them at our expense! Why shouldn't the homeless come from the mid-west? I know I would if I could hop a train and I was homeless. Sure, the weather attracts them, too, but the social welfare net (for homeless), here, beats almost anywhere else. Then, one day, we wake to the stench, and wonder how this problem got so bad, and we're shocked. So we spend taxpayer dollars in the name of "helping" them, without a thought to the notion that we are inviting more of them to come and enjoy the robust benefits of the welfare state.

Natomas is not a great Sac neighborhood IMO, but there ARE very nice neighborhoods comparable to the best anywhere else. I live in East Sac; as long as I stay in east Sac, and don't spend any time downtown, all is well and I forget these larger issues that the larger California cities grapple with.
There was a bee article that said the homeless increase is primarily local in origin. I agree that we provide many more homeless benefits than say, Dallas, but homelessness is on the rise in pretty much every coastal city. I just read an article about New York's exploding homeless population. I think if anything, it shows how unaffordable urban living is becoming in the US. I also think it points to our lack of investment in mental health services and basic job training which would probably do more good than building free shelters.

That's not to say I am exactly an advocate of the homeless. I agree with your premise that providing free goods outside of healthcare is not a way to promote less homelessness. Shelter should be tied to participating in job programs and kicking addictions. To some degree, non-profits already use this approach (see the missions in LA).

Old 07-24-2017, 06:26 PM

461 posts, read 301,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvp88 View Post
I think that's because you are just looking at west coast cities. In general I'd rank all west coast cities on the low end with respect to friendliness. Certainly not as bad as the northeast, but not too far behind. I've found people in Oregon to be overtly friendly but really nowhere else.

I grew up in the Atlanta area and the southeast is by far the friendliest place to live in the country (even if it's sometimes not genuine/passive aggressive).
Not Florida though. I am currently in St Petersburg FL.. I spent a little time in Sacramento though but I can tell you both seem really comparable if you disregard the topography. St Pete is trying to be like Sacramento with an ocean and a pier. Slightly less cultures like you wont find Katmandu food or Iranian food or anything like that, but you pretty much have everything else. Not as much thai, but some.

But ya you mention Atlanta or the SE being friendly, you can pretty much disregard a lot of Florida in that list. Its like the California of the South. I actually see Sac as more cultured than I see Tallahassee or Tampa being cultured. Tampa area could get there, but its got a ways and even Sac by west coast standards seems behind so... thats what you're looking at in FL though, a state with cities that have a longer way to go than Sacramento other than Miami maybe. St Pete comes the closest to Sacramento. Theres parts similar to East Sac, a midtown that sort of looks like Sacs midtown, just less biking but again, some. I see suburbs kind of being like Sacramentos also like Citrus Heights, very much like a Tampa/St Pete outskirt with affordable housing, drugs and undesirables. Carmichael I'd say is like a Tampa outskirt. A place with upper middle class but some working lower class too. Roseville is like Clearwater/Brandon.

Sacramento I see as friendlier than the Tampa Bay area IF you can be Californian. If you can assimilate to CA, comment back to some of the natives how much you like the area or mountains, rivers.. you blend in better. I think its worse toward Placer County though if anyone detects you dont care for California very much. You'll be shut right out. So ya I think Sacramento natives are friendly if you plan on staying and have your head in that place as people from there dont move around. In that way its the opposite of FL. Now if you want to stay in FL and not leave, and pick an area to live, I find FL natives to be less friendly. So if you're picking a place to stay for good, I'd go with Sacramento having the higher quality of life. you'd at least eventually meet a lot more people even if it doesnt all happen in the first 2 years. But you have to like it there.

But yes onto Oregon. Oregon I found was friendly outside of Portland. Some Portlanders probably were friendly too but they were hard nuts to crack or if it was easier to meet people , it was like in that bad SE Division area. To meet quality people definitely took more time but to its credit, it was easier to find room rentals on the up and up there than it is in the Tampa Bay area where people absolutely have no pride in their surroundings, keeping a clean house and so forth. Portland has the edge there even. Hell maybe even Sac does too as property values are higher now. The days of squatter homes, ratchetness, or drama tenants are probably dying in places like that on the west coast now. Maybe Citrus Heights as I was saying before though has all that.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:43 AM

23 posts, read 12,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post
Not Florida though. I am currently in St Petersburg FL.. I spent a little time in Sacramento though but I can tell you both seem really comparable if you disregard the topography. St Pete is trying to be like Sacramento with an ocean and a pier. Slightly less cultures like you wont find Katmandu food or Iranian food or anything like that, but you pretty much have everything else. Not as much thai, but some.

But ya you mention Atlanta or the SE being friendly, you can pretty much disregard a lot of Florida in that list. Its like the California of the South. I actually see Sac as more cultured than I see Tallahassee or Tampa being cultured. Tampa area could get there, but its got a ways and even Sac by west coast standards seems behind so... thats what you're looking at in FL though, a state with cities that have a longer way to go than Sacramento other than Miami maybe. St Pete comes the closest to Sacramento. Theres parts similar to East Sac, a midtown that sort of looks like Sacs midtown, just less biking but again, some. I see suburbs kind of being like Sacramentos also like Citrus Heights, very much like a Tampa/St Pete outskirt with affordable housing, drugs and undesirables. Carmichael I'd say is like a Tampa outskirt. A place with upper middle class but some working lower class too. Roseville is like Clearwater/Brandon.

Sacramento I see as friendlier than the Tampa Bay area IF you can be Californian. If you can assimilate to CA, comment back to some of the natives how much you like the area or mountains, rivers.. you blend in better. I think its worse toward Placer County though if anyone detects you dont care for California very much. You'll be shut right out. So ya I think Sacramento natives are friendly if you plan on staying and have your head in that place as people from there dont move around. In that way its the opposite of FL. Now if you want to stay in FL and not leave, and pick an area to live, I find FL natives to be less friendly. So if you're picking a place to stay for good, I'd go with Sacramento having the higher quality of life. you'd at least eventually meet a lot more people even if it doesnt all happen in the first 2 years. But you have to like it there.

But yes onto Oregon. Oregon I found was friendly outside of Portland. Some Portlanders probably were friendly too but they were hard nuts to crack or if it was easier to meet people , it was like in that bad SE Division area. To meet quality people definitely took more time but to its credit, it was easier to find room rentals on the up and up there than it is in the Tampa Bay area where people absolutely have no pride in their surroundings, keeping a clean house and so forth. Portland has the edge there even. Hell maybe even Sac does too as property values are higher now. The days of squatter homes, ratchetness, or drama tenants are probably dying in places like that on the west coast now. Maybe Citrus Heights as I was saying before though has all that.
I should have mentioned that I don't group most parts of Florida with the southeast (these days anything south of Jacksonville is way different). Florida is a state of retirees, Latin American immigrants, and northeast transplants. My father lives in Naples and it's very nice there, but most of the other parts of Florida I do not find very desirable and the people are not pleasant. Even Atlanta is shifting out of the southern mindset but on the whole I find people assimilate well there and become nicer (even if they are transplants).

Old 07-26-2017, 05:47 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,116,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvp88 View Post
I think that's because you are just looking at west coast cities. In general I'd rank all west coast cities on the low end with respect to friendliness. Certainly not as bad as the northeast, but not too far behind. I've found people in Oregon to be overtly friendly but really nowhere else.

I grew up in the Atlanta area and the southeast is by far the friendliest place to live in the country (even if it's sometimes not genuine/passive aggressive).
Last weekend I was at the arena early in the morning sitting down. The maintenance guy greets me "How are you this morning?!" proceeds to tell me about how this is his 2nd job, he's working hard, etc. 10 minutes later barista at coffee shop gives me a coffee allowing me to pay later. These are typical experiences of mine on a day to day basis here. I'm not sure how much friendliness you need in a city, but if you make even the most minimal of efforts Sac is friendly by any measure.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:27 AM

118 posts, read 100,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnohara View Post

Hi. I used to live in Woodland many years ago and as I've mentioned before in other similar threads, I'm considering moving back to the area... Possibly back to Woodland but I've also been considering Natomas... I'm curious why you mentioned that you don't think that Natomas is a very good Sac neighborhood even though there are nice areas and homes? ... Any info is helpful, Thanks.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:01 AM

890 posts, read 626,758 times
The first thing to do before commenting about how friendly or not friendly are people living in Sacramento is to look in the mirror and evaluate if this is someone you consider friendly. If the answer is yes, then ask yourself what you're going to do today to share your friendliness with others.

If the answer is no, then get to work for you have much to do.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:43 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,116,474 times
Also, the comment about entitlements is complete BS. Take a look at the homeless you see on the street. They aren't collecting welfare, they aren't living in subsidized housing. They don't even have an address to receive any benefit. They aren't receiving anything period. Hence the reason they look the way they do and are scavenging through garbage cans just to eat. I am not sure what is causing this extreme swell of homelessness we are now seeing, but it has nothing at all to do with the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or