Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 12:30 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewsLogin View Post
I agree, it does feel much colder than the temperature indicates. I traveled to the New Hampshire mountains in the fall and was walking around, exploring the town in a short-sleeved sweater and jeans. I was comfortable. When I went inside a restaurant, the waitress scolded me for dressing so inappropriately - it was 24 degrees.

Here, I need a heavy coat when the temperature drops into the 50s. I think it has to do with the dampness in the air and the fog blocking the sun.

The same goes for the heat and the lack of moisture in the summer. I enjoy working in my yard when it is 95 to 105 out. In Colorado, in the summer, I wilt at 85.
What fog, there has not been any significant long lasting fog in Sacramento in the last 5 years. Try walking around in 45F in Sacramento in winter layers, as if you were in a 20F snowy day, light wind. You will burn up.

I think its psychological. I've tested the theory. We've waked around Tahoe(stateline for at least 30 mins in the winter as we would dress in Sacramento in the winter, jeans, long leave shirt, no under shirt, no hat, no gloves, a sweater, but no heavy jacket. And we froze are puhtokahs off. We did the same in Reno when it was 15F, no snow, and in 10 mins we could not stand it, too cold.

It felt a lot warmer and more comfortable in Sacramento even when it when it is "damp". I can't even remember an all day long term foggy day in Sacramento; it literally has not happened in over 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 09:00 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
Off topic - and not to derail Chem's gem of a thread which survives the test of time and natural calamity and may set a record for total posts - but I have traveled to Reno 3 times the past month. Why? Just curious what was there. LOL I did not find much, admittedly, but I did stumble upon one of the best arial viewpoints of any city that I have ever seen. Man, I wanted a coffee and a cigarette up there to enjoy that for about an hour. Is there anything at all worth seeing in Reno aside from that? The restaurants were pretty bad compared to Sac. Still, there's something I like about the place though, and I want to go back. I need more of a reason to though than the mountains.
If you go to Reno during the week and can make it to the Atlantis between 4 & 6 go to the Napa Bistro happy hour (half off of menu prices) Go to Scheels, the biggest sporting goods store ever, and drive to Carson City and buy some Chorizo at Villa Basque. Honestly, that's about it.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:15 PM

330 posts, read 432,446 times
I'd describe the winters as sunny, dry and mild. The mornings and nights can be a little cold at times but nothing really severe. Outside of Florida, Gulf Coast, Phoenix, SoCal and the Bay Area Sacramento probably has the mildest winter in the country. It's warmer than many "warm weather" sun belt Southern cities such as Atlanta, Raleigh, Nashville etc. I've heard people say the Winters are wet, no they aren't. If you think that it's because you've never lived anywhere that really is wet.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:23 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewsLogin View Post
However, it can feel much colder than the numbers would indicate, especially if you are used to the dry conditions in most of the country in the winter. I can walk around in New Hampshire at 25 degrees on a sunny day with a light sweater. I need a heavy down jacket (and gloves, scarf, hat, several layers) when it is 45 degrees here.
That sounds a little overly dramatic. I think the real reason it feels cold to you is you became a weather wimp after you moved to a warmer place. It happens that way for most people.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:26 PM

330 posts, read 432,446 times
New England in 25 degrees feels magnitudes colder to me than I've ever felt here, especially at 45 degrees.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:30 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,420 times
Not really...it depends on your cold tolerance. Of course, I have lived in Colorado and now Duluth, MN so my perception is different than the locals. A low in the mid- to high- 20s is easy. Light sweater and a pair of jeans works. For the cold-allergic, you may need to break out the full-on winter coat.

I spent my childhood in Sacramento (Early 90s to Early 2000s). From my memory, I recall it being a lot colder and wetter than recent. I spent two occasions back in Sacramento in the last few years and recall it looking dryer and warmer.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:44 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
Sacramento as well as the Central Valley is cold during the Winters by California Standards compared to the more mild coastal areas.

The Central Valley get's Tule Fog which can also make the temperatures feel colder than it actually is,and also cold air from the mountains often flow down into the Valley and can remain in the Valley while other parts of California get warmed up.

Winters in the Central Valley are usually in the 50's and 40's during the day and in the 30's and 20's during the evenings...Frost is common in the Central Valley during the early morning hours.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:33 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
I'd describe the winters as sunny, dry and mild. The mornings and nights can be a little cold at times but nothing really severe. Outside of Florida, Gulf Coast, Phoenix, SoCal and the Bay Area Sacramento probably has the mildest winter in the country. It's warmer than many "warm weather" sun belt Southern cities such as Atlanta, Raleigh, Nashville etc. I've heard people say the Winters are wet, no they aren't. If you think that it's because you've never lived anywhere that really is wet.
What?? you think Sac winters are sunny, dry and mild? Were you just born or something? Winters in Sac are often damp, cloudy, some rain, and some stretches of nasty tule fog that may last for days on end. Some days are sunny and mild in Sac like you say, but head to LA if you want winters like that.

No, Sac's not cold by eastern standards, but winter mornings in Sac at 35 degrees with a damp atmosphere make wearing a warm coat a must IMO.

BTW, the chilly, wet winters there are the reason why fruit trees do so well there. They need that cold weather in order to flower and fruit in the spring.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:38 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
What?? you think Sac winters are sunny, dry and mild? Were you just born or something? Winters in Sac are often damp, cloudy, some rain, and some stretches of nasty tule fog that may last for days on end. Some days are sunny and mild in Sac like you say, but head to LA if you want winters like that.

No, Sac's not cold by eastern standards, but winter mornings in Sac at 35 degrees with a damp atmosphere make wearing a warm coat a must IMO.

BTW, the chilly, wet winters there are the reason why fruit trees do so well there. They need that cold weather in order to flower and fruit in the spring.
This is entirely anecdotal, but when I moved to Sac from Reno I brought all my boots and warm coats, in the past three years the only time I have worn anything warmer than a Patagonia fleece jacket is when I've gone to Reno to visit friends. So in my very unscientific opinion, it's doesn't usually feel very cold in Sacramento.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:17 AM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
This is entirely anecdotal, but when I moved to Sac from Reno I brought all my boots and warm coats, in the past three years the only time I have worn anything warmer than a Patagonia fleece jacket is when I've gone to Reno to visit friends. So in my very unscientific opinion, it's doesn't usually feel very cold in Sacramento.
I agree with you, Sacramento winters are mild compared to 3/4 of the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento