Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:05 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times

Advertisements

My friend and I have discovered a recent trend of drivers running red lights. I live in elk grove and he lives in Natomas but we have seen an increased number of red light violators and I'm not talking about a split second red light. I'm talking about almost getting into an accident; blatant running of a red light.

Last week, I was making a left turn, and during the middle of my turn, the oncoming driver was still speeding. From experience, those type of drivers like to brake at the very last second, but this guy kept going and damn near hit me. (the left turns are protected; and my left arrow was green for about 3 seconds) And what made it worse is that he ran another red light to make an illegal left hand turn. . I was extremely pissed but I thought it was a coincidence. Then later in the same week, a lady in front of me was making a left turn and this oncoming car almost hit her. And again, that light was green for about 3 seconds. (light was protected) Both cars were going noticeably fast and could have killed someone if they ended up in a collision.

I thought it was just a bad week; an anomaly if you will. It wasn't until my friend made a comment that he has witnessed this too. I know I sound paranoid but has this been going on with you guys recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 03:35 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,295,937 times
I haven't seen anyone running red lights recently. I have seen plenty of people smoking weed while driving.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:14 AM

543 posts, read 1,740,098 times
This is a common occurrence in Folsom. Lots of accidents caused by redlight runners and folks who do not check to their left before proceeding after their light changes to green. They have the right-of-way but what good is it to be dead right. We have got to be cautious and not assume that others will do the right thing.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:17 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,571,969 times
Absolutely right, spot on. I've had at least 5 instances in the past couple of months in and around midtown Sac where someone ran a red light literally 2-3 seconds late, probably traveling 60-70 mph. Each time I was slow off the line as my lane's light turned green. I kept thinking "If I had just hit the gas when my light turned green, I could have been a fatality". The way people drive here is just flat out dangerous.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
Absolutely right, spot on. I've had at least 5 instances in the past couple of months in and around midtown Sac where someone ran a red light literally 2-3 seconds late, probably traveling 60-70 mph. Each time I was slow off the line as my lane's light turned green. I kept thinking "If I had just hit the gas when my light turned green, I could have been a fatality". The way people drive here is just flat out dangerous.

Yikes. I guess i can understand midtown of that happening but not where I live. I haven't seen any red runners for a long time, and all of a sudden I saw two of them within 2 days? And on top of that, my friends see them on the other side of town. It all depends on facts and circumstances, but if a red runner hits me, Im going to be seriously mad.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:59 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,135 times
The drivers in Sac are awful. Truly reckless. Red lights seem to just be a suggestion and people pass you on whatever side they feel like, even if it's on the sidewalk. And everyone is on their cell phone.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
The drivers in Sac are awful. Truly reckless. Red lights seem to just be a suggestion and people pass you on whatever side they feel like, even if it's on the sidewalk. And everyone is on their cell phone.

I know Sacramento has its fair share of incompetent drivers but these back-to-back red light run ins are unheard of for me.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:41 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
You are not alone. I witnessed the same thing this morning in Roseville. And then there were several posts about the problem on our local Next Door website tonight. I've never seen anything like this. Is this another manifestation of road rage?

Old 10-05-2017, 10:47 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times
I'm with Adriatica. It's phones and otherwise distracted driving, IMO. I see so many on their phones lately. It's really bad. Running a red light is easy when you're texting. I wouldnt say I see more of it than usual, however, but my standards are very low for Sacramento drivers.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:48 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,571,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Yikes. I guess i can understand midtown of that happening but not where I live. I haven't seen any red runners for a long time, and all of a sudden I saw two of them within 2 days? And on top of that, my friends see them on the other side of town. It all depends on facts and circumstances, but if a red runner hits me, Im going to be seriously mad.
Funny story. About 5 years ago my friend was visiting from LA and we were driving about 20 mph on Folsom BLVD going west, headed towards downtown by Watt Ave, nearing a red light. Out of nowhere the car in the lane next to me slowly merges into mine, to the point I had to swerve and slam on my brakes. He travels through my lane and into the turn lane. All done clear as day and very intentionally, as if it's just a normal day on the road.

I blare on my horn. My friend starts busting up laughing uncontrollably. "Why are you laughing?!" I ask. He responds "Dude, that guy had no reason whatsoever to do that. There aren't even any cars on the road!". I respond, "You are from L.A. Doesn't this sort of thing happen all the time?". He replies, "No! People drive fast but there's an etiquette that's understood. Everyone is trying to get somewhere and everyone's rushed. In Sacramento, people just drive like idiots. There's no rules and no one is in a rush to get anywhere. It's a government town".

I thought that summed it up perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento