Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:10 PM

815 posts, read 2,699,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by david55838 View Post
You know what? ****! You don't know what you're talking about. If you've truthfully 'self-described' above, then you have no clue what a uninformed gay couple might go through plopping themselves down in a red neck neighborhood. Would it be great to be able to do what you describe? Sure. Is it reality? No way. Get over YOURSELF already.

Honestly, David is totally right here.
A gay couple, or any other individual that is different from the existing norm of a particular area, has every right to ask if the neighborhood that he or she is moving into will not only be tolerant and accepting of them but will provide them with some degree of safety from discrimination and hate-fueled crimes made against them.
History has dictated in this country that if you are white and heterosexual, than you generally do not have to worry about dirty looks, discrimination, or unspeakable acts made against you based on your race or sexual orientation.
Nice try though.
Maybe in 100 years it will not matter what the color of your skin is or which gender you choose to spend your life with but, as for now, we still have a very LONG way to go.
Add an additional 100 years for Placer County.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:10 PM

32 posts, read 130,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
You shouldn't make racist comments against white people. What does race have to do with this? Are blacks more tolerant? Are Asians more tolerant? Or is it just the white people that are the root of all evil (again)???

So let me summarize. You're looking for a non-white, gay tolerant neighborhood where there are other gay people just like yourself live and work. Should this include lesbians or just gay men? What happens if a family of midgets (aka vertically challenged) people move in? Do they have to show what their sexual preference is so you can maintain some kind of balance in your neighborhood. What's the proper ratio of gays to straight people? 80/20? 60/40?? What about gays to midgets? 50/50 maybe???

How many friends do you have that are black-jewish-gay-handicap-midgets?? Isn't that really the only way to not offend any one certain group? By having a friend that fits ALL the categories?

Stop announcing that you're gay. NOBODY cares. Now, again, get over yourself.
Wow - you sound like a white supremacist. What's the make up of the neighborhood YOU live in? Sounds like none of the above mentioned groups live there. Stop announcing your colossal ignorance. NOBODY cares. Oh, and I'm over you.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:14 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,421 times
Default You don't get my point....

You couldn't be more wrong in your assessment. So white people should ask before moving into a black neighborhood if its ok before they move in? Of course then blacks should ask before moving into white neighborhoods? Gays should ask before moving into straight neighborhoods? Jews should ask before moving into Catholic neighborhoods?

Wish I was talking to people that had a backbone and didn't mind standing up for what they belive in. Live anywhere you want regardless of who you are and if people don't like it then tell them to shove it. Black people in the 1950's and 1960's went through hell to start to achieve equality. They surely didn't ask if it would be ok if they got their equality....they took to the streets and fought hard to achieve their equality.

Grow up and stop acting so cowardly. The only way to change the world is to stand up one person at a time and do whatever it takes to make the change. Even if it takes personal sacrifice.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong in your assessment. So white people should ask before moving into a black neighborhood if its ok before they move in? Of course then blacks should ask before moving into white neighborhoods? Gays should ask before moving into straight neighborhoods? Jews should ask before moving into Catholic neighborhoods?

Wish I was talking to people that had a backbone and didn't mind standing up for what they belive in. Live anywhere you want regardless of who you are and if people don't like it then tell them to shove it. Black people in the 1950's and 1960's went through hell to start to achieve equality. They surely didn't ask if it would be ok if they got their equality....they took to the streets and fought hard to achieve their equality.

Grow up and stop acting so cowardly. The only way to change the world is to stand up one person at a time and do whatever it takes to make the change. Even if it takes personal sacrifice.
Guess what? I am grown up. And how dare you insinuate that I'm a coward. Why would you say that? Because I prefer to come home after a stressful day and not have to deal with fear, loathing and antagonism from intolerant neighbors? Why would you suggest that I need to deal with that kind of additional stress when home is supposed to be a comfort, a sanctuary?

Again, if your self-identification earlier in this post is truthful, then you are a straight white man who has had NO experience as a part of any persecuted minority - ethnic, religious or based on sexual orientation. Your rose colored assessment of how the world ought to be is far from reality.

You speak of backbone. I challenge you to move out of your white-bread neighborhood and come on down to the northwest side of Milwaukee. Predominately African-American. Would you stand out? You bet. Would your presence be appreciated? Who knows? How about your comfort level living there? Maybe you'd rethink your tough talk once you're out of your ivory tower.

Until you've walked a mile in ANY minority's shoes, again I say ****.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:06 PM
pba

Default I never said it would be easy....

Everything you just said screams of being a coward. If you don't stand up to make the change now then you're leaving the responsibility up to future generations. If you start to change opinions now by dealing with whatever people might throw at you (harassment, mean looks, bullying, etc.) then maybe, just maybe, you will have to endure this trouble but your kids won't. Sounds like your choice would be to avoid this at all costs but my point is that sometimes you just have to take a stand for something that you believe in.

How is that racist and why is your perception that I live an ivory tower? You don't have to be part of a minority group to know when to stand-up for what you believe in. Your analogy of me moving to Milwaukee helps me make my point. I wouldn't ask before moving there if people are white-friendly. Instead I would just move there if I felt like it and let people just deal with it. If I had to suffer through any harassment because of my race in the area then it would be up to me to stand-up for myself at that time.

You're telling me to shut-up because your way is the easy (cowardly) way and my way is the hard (right) way. The easy answer would be to move to the 'gay-friendly' areas and hope that the people accept you for who you are. The hard way would be to do whatever you like and to exert your freedom in any place that you'd like regardless of what anyone says or does about it.

Again, I never said it would be easy but it's definitely the right thing to do.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:18 PM

10 posts, read 40,353 times
Default Cowardly

Quote:
Everything you just said screams of being a coward. If you don't stand up to make the change now then you're leaving the responsibility up to future generations. If you start to change opinions now by dealing with whatever people might throw at you (harassment, mean looks, bullying, etc.) then maybe, just maybe, you will have to endure this trouble but your kids won't. Sounds like your choice would be to avoid this at all costs but my point is that sometimes you just have to take a stand for something that you believe in.
There's a time and a place for everything. It's easy to tell someone else to put up with a hostile environment. It's quite another to live it yourself. People have every right to pick their battles and support their causes in ways they see fit. Perhaps if Lawrence King had been a little more of a coward he'd still be alive to fight for his rights. As it is, he's a martyr.

BTW- thanks for the thread. It's making me have 2nd thoughts about moving my white/hetro familiy to the area.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:14 AM
pba

Default Yes, cowardly.

It's NOT easy to tell someone what they should already know so you're wrong there. It would have been easy for me to say, 'Yes, we are a gay friendly area so please come live next door to me.' It's quite another thing to have my response act like more of a smack-in-the-head kind of a wake-up call to encourage you into taking some action and live your life however you feel.

People do NOT have the right to pick their battles when there's a greater good involved. You don't have the right to sit on your butt and do nothing when you have the moral obligation to stand up and make a difference in this world.

Oh, and I've had enough of the comparisons of what blacks have gone through to what gays have gone through. I brought that up as an analogy to prove a point but in NO way do the two even come close to comparing with each other. 400 years of slavery kinda overrides anything gay people have gone through. Gays are 'persecuted'? Give me a break....your inaction is only contributing to the problem so you truly have no room to complain.

If you choose to be a coward then you have absolutely no right to complain about the situation that leaves you in. I feel good knowing that I'm totally right on this one but I have to admit it sounds very arrogant, bigoted and slightly racist to hear all the negative reactions I'm getting to my posts.

What a stupid question to ask originally. I didn't say anything about how being gay goes against the bible, about how gay people should be not be tolerated or absolutely anything negative about any certain group of people. Why? Because I don't believe any of that to be true.

All I said was to stand up for what you believe in so what's wrong with that?

Old 03-30-2008, 05:35 AM

As you sit back and pass judgement on us for not doing what you are so sure is right, please relate something YOU'VE done which illustrates your point. You claim you would have no problem moving into an area in which you are so clearly a minority - have you ever done so? What have YOU done for the greater good? What's the racial/ethnic makeup of Mather?

Your preaching smacks of hypocrisy and self-righteousness. You don't have the right to tell anyone how or where to live - especially from all indications it's just a bunch of talk.

To wk633 - don't let him stop you from considering moving to Sac. It's not going to stop me. And to the rest of the good people on this thread - I'm sorry if I hijacked it a bit - I just couldn't sit by and let pba's spew go unanswered.

Over and out.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:06 AM
pba

Default You just aren't very analytical it seems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by david55838 View Post
As you sit back and pass judgement on us for not doing what you are so sure is right, please relate something YOU'VE done which illustrates your point. You claim you would have no problem moving into an area in which you are so clearly a minority - have you ever done so? What have YOU done for the greater good? What's the racial/ethnic makeup of Mather?

Your preaching smacks of hypocrisy and self-righteousness. You don't have the right to tell anyone how or where to live - especially from all indications it's just a bunch of talk.

To wk633 - don't let him stop you from considering moving to Sac. It's not going to stop me. And to the rest of the good people on this thread - I'm sorry if I hijacked it a bit - I just couldn't sit by and let pba's spew go unanswered.

Over and out.
Stop putting words in my mouth and just analyze exactly what I said. I said I wouldn't ASK before moving into an area where I was going to be the minority. Although I didn't already know the racial/ethnic makeup of Mather, it was easy to find:

sacbee.com -- Community Profile Database - Population, ages, marital status, education and ethnicity

Population = 1,660
White = 721 (43 %)
Black = 212 (13 %)
Asian = 166 (10 %)
Hispanic = 316 (29 %)
Other = 180 (11 %)

Oh my god! That means white people don't hold the majority!! Run for the hills!!!! Am I a hypocrit? No. Am I self-righteous? No. Am I just trying to get you to open your eyes? Yes.

Question for you. What makes you think I wouldn't want you to move here? I just wouldn't want you to feel like you had to ask before you moved in if it would be ok with me or anyone else in the neighborhood. Actually, I would welcome ANYONE that wanted to live here.

And, yes, I have every right to tell anyone how and where to live if my point is to leave free. That's obviuosly a fundamental right that everyone has but sometimes people just need a little prodding to remind them about it.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 10,999 times
Default Come on now...

David, you have every right to ask about the neighborhood(s) that you are interested in moving to, and really, I think that it is the only responsible thing to do for you and your family. I currently live in Citrus Heights, but literally a block away from Roseville. I used to live in Mid-town, so I have a bit of experience here when it comes to relocating to this area. I'm not gay, but am in an interracial marriage, we have a baby who is mixed, and my best friend is gay (and used to live with us, for relevence). We are therefore VERY intolerant of idiots who go around spouting off their ridiculous ideas that white is best (although nobody would ever say that, you know the type), women have no right to choose what to do with their bodies, marriage is only for a man and woman, etc etc. I like my neighborhood for those things, although it is pretty conservative, everyone pretty much just leaves you alone. I would DEFINITELY consider the Roseville Rocklin area! The large lots that you can find, especially in the 'older' areas (meaning not brand new mouse-sized homes) would be perfect for a car addiction. I would be really surprised if you got anything other than a possible raised eyebrow when you first moved in, but only because its just something that they aren't used to. And you know what, if they don't want to be close personal friends with you (I'm not talking about outright malice, just not necessarily inviting you over for dinner), then you don't want to be friends with them either. You sound like a man with a great head on his shoulders, and I'm sure that you're partner is the same, so I can't imagine you not being welcomed. Honestly, I think the bigger issue would be if you, say, didn't mow your lawn or left your trash cans out too long after pick-up! We're young too (25), but I think there are some fun things to do around here, especially being so close to the lake. Old Roseville is fun to walk around. And honestly, you aren't that far from downtown if you need a little change of scenery.

Just FYI, I'm 'somewhat' in the same boat as you, as we are looking to move our mixed, non-church attending, dog barking family to Missouri possibly! YIKES!

Good luck hon, I'm sure that you will find the perfect place for you to raise your family in the area. You can tell a lot about people by driving around during election season!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento