Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2008, 08:45 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
In my opinion, it's good to have faith in God. But it's also good to question all religions from time to time and realize that the Bible was written LONG ago and that interpretations can be very different depending on who reads it. I think homosexuality is not necessarily what God intended. But it's here and I doubt God put homosexuals here so they could be cast off as outsiders, discriminated against, beaten and/or killed. I think it's the ultimate test to see how we treat each other as human beings. And so far it's not all that great.

If you can't change his mind, best of luck changing anyone's mind about homosexuality. Ahhhh religion. The best and worst thing about humanity.

Religeon is soooo different that believing in God. God tests people all the time and if you believe what the Bible says. He would kill a man's son as punishment for the man's wrongdoing, He writes that it's ok to stone someone to death for working on a Sunday, etc. ,etc. Basically, there are hundreds of examples of brutality in the Bible. My point is that it's not safe to assume that God wouldn't punish homosexuals for breaking His law. Would I personally do anything? Of course not....anyone is welcomed to live in my neighborhood (as long as you keep the loud parties to a minimum).

The post was about was gay-friendly Sacramento is. I don't think anyone can answer that question for you. It just depends on who your immediate neighbor is and how they will treat you. Or maybe it's the one wacko you see at the store or the rude comments you get at the mall. Really, you can't blanket an entire area and say it's gay-friendly.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:41 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,543,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
Religeon is soooo different that believing in God. God tests people all the time and if you believe what the Bible says. He would kill a man's son as punishment for the man's wrongdoing, He writes that it's ok to stone someone to death for working on a Sunday, etc. ,etc. Basically, there are hundreds of examples of brutality in the Bible. My point is that it's not safe to assume that God wouldn't punish homosexuals for breaking His law. Would I personally do anything? Of course not....anyone is welcomed to live in my neighborhood (as long as you keep the loud parties to a minimum).

The post was about was gay-friendly Sacramento is. I don't think anyone can answer that question for you. It just depends on who your immediate neighbor is and how they will treat you. Or maybe it's the one wacko you see at the store or the rude comments you get at the mall. Really, you can't blanket an entire area and say it's gay-friendly.
Exactly, and that's why organized religion scares me so much. As you stated, there are so many examples of brutality in the Bible, yet we wouldn't allow anyone in our modern society to be stoned to death for working on a Sunday. Though other beliefs are still upheld and considered okay. It seems most anything can be justified by religion.

It's one thing to believe that God will punish people for certain things. It's the people who take it upon themselves to pass judgment (spreading hatred, violence, and discrimination against a certain group of people), thinking they're doing God's work that scare me. God should be the only one passing judgment.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,490 times
This has been interesting reading. I am a single, gay dad to an adoptive daughter who just happens to look like me, so unless asked, people assume she is my bio daughter and then the questions come about 'my wife.' I was thinking about moving to RVille, Fair Oaks, or Folsom for the schools and to transfer my Kaiser job. I had this sort of 'Leave it to Beaver' image in my mind of nice neighbors, BBQs, conversations over coffee as our kids played outside. The gay issue never came to mind ( I just didnt assume I would meet any other single dads, so it was all about schools for me). But now I am re thinking the whole idea. I fear that the parents that are posting here are teaching their children to hate gays, and I worry that my daughter would be bullied. And she deserves better than that. So maybe I should look elsewhere. I have been in small towns in the Bible belt that were more welcoming to me and my daughter than anyone has been on this posting. Oh well, Roseville's loss will be Tennessee's gain.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:16 AM

406 posts, read 1,592,421 times
I think people should follow there bliss and if that means moving to Tennessee well good luck with it. But are you sure that people in Tennessee will treat you any better than Roseville? Tennessee is in the bible belt. To me, it probably makes more sense to move to Davis, than to Tennessee. In Davis the schools are excellent and no one would care if you or your kid is gay.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:48 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,543,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanandsophia View Post
This has been interesting reading. I am a single, gay dad to an adoptive daughter who just happens to look like me, so unless asked, people assume she is my bio daughter and then the questions come about 'my wife.' I was thinking about moving to RVille, Fair Oaks, or Folsom for the schools and to transfer my Kaiser job. I had this sort of 'Leave it to Beaver' image in my mind of nice neighbors, BBQs, conversations over coffee as our kids played outside. The gay issue never came to mind ( I just didnt assume I would meet any other single dads, so it was all about schools for me). But now I am re thinking the whole idea. I fear that the parents that are posting here are teaching their children to hate gays, and I worry that my daughter would be bullied. And she deserves better than that. So maybe I should look elsewhere. I have been in small towns in the Bible belt that were more welcoming to me and my daughter than anyone has been on this posting. Oh well, Roseville's loss will be Tennessee's gain.
I don't know if it makes sense to judge the area on the very small number of people participating here. I would guess that California in general is still fairly accepting overall compared to most other states. Have this same discussion in a Tennessee forum and I'm sure you'll have similar comments.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:56 PM

238 posts, read 1,315,802 times
^^^ +1, bigotry and intolerance exists everywhere, and those who practice it just tend to be the most vocal.

For what it's worth, we live in Roseville and one of our neighbors down the street are a gay couple, and although they (understandably) don't really publicize it, they don't exactly hide it either. And no one around here seems to care.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:26 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,177 times
Quote:
I fear that the parents that are posting here are teaching their children to hate gays, and I worry that my daughter would be bullied. And she deserves better than that.
Sounds like this might have been directed at me....if so, let me tell how I feel about that. I would never teach my kids to hate gays or anyone else for that matter. At the same time I'm teaching my kids to believe in God and follow what the Bible teaches. For me, the teachings of the Bible must take precedence here so we approach it by saying homosexuality is against the Bible but that doesn't mean gay people are bad. It's our belief that being gay is a sin but we obviously wouldn't teach our kids to hate anyone that sins because they would have to hate everyone in the world.

When my kids were younger they would see gay people in public or on TV and would ask innocently if it's ok for a man to marry a man. We don't want to confuse the kids about sexuality so we teach them that 'No' it's not ok. We don't follow it up with, 'and you can hate anyone that does.'

Once they are older (9 to 10?) then I would imagine they might have more questions about it and then I'll be able to have a more mature conversation with them about it. I would still teach them that the Bible is against it but that all people should be treated equally since it's not our place to judge.

You might ask how I feel about gay marriage and gay adoption. Well, I don't feel it's any of my business to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do. Who you marry has no affect on me whatsoever so do whatever you want for all I care. I also don't like when people say that gay marriage hurts 'the institution of marriage' because again I just don't see how someone else's marriage can affect me.

Something else you might ask....what if my kids turn out to be gay? You might be surprised by my answer because I would be totally accepting of it. I'm sure it would take an adjustment period to get used to it but I wouldn't disown my kids or anything. Once again, it's not my place to judge and I'll always love my kids no matter what.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:43 PM

12 posts, read 57,813 times
I live in AUburn, Roseville, and Rocklin [i'm just as confused as you are, so don't ask me to explain.] They're all pretty stellar. Yeah, the Placer area is a very conservative area- most of them voted for Bush! Haha. But i really don't think you'd encounter any problems. I believe you'd be comfortable and happy, and welcome.

Oh, welcome to my area. :]

Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 PM

12 posts, read 57,813 times
Quote:
Coming from a teenager who knows how kids around here act, i'd have to say that no one will really care. When kids are young, yes, they'll tease you for anything they can get your hands on. But i don't think i've met a single homophobic person, EVER, under the age of 18 in the entire Placer area. I don't think i've met a homophobe period.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:51 PM

815 posts, read 2,698,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
Sounds like this might have been directed at me....if so, let me tell how I feel about that. I would never teach my kids to hate gays or anyone else for that matter. At the same time I'm teaching my kids to believe in God and follow what the Bible teaches. For me, the teachings of the Bible must take precedence here so we approach it by saying homosexuality is against the Bible but that doesn't mean gay people are bad. It's our belief that being gay is a sin but we obviously wouldn't teach our kids to hate anyone that sins because they would have to hate everyone in the world.

When my kids were younger they would see gay people in public or on TV and would ask innocently if it's ok for a man to marry a man. We don't want to confuse the kids about sexuality so we teach them that 'No' it's not ok. We don't follow it up with, 'and you can hate anyone that does.'

Once they are older (9 to 10?) then I would imagine they might have more questions about it and then I'll be able to have a more mature conversation with them about it. I would still teach them that the Bible is against it but that all people should be treated equally since it's not our place to judge.

You might ask how I feel about gay marriage and gay adoption. Well, I don't feel it's any of my business to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do. Who you marry has no affect on me whatsoever so do whatever you want for all I care. I also don't like when people say that gay marriage hurts 'the institution of marriage' because again I just don't see how someone else's marriage can affect me.

Something else you might ask....what if my kids turn out to be gay? You might be surprised by my answer because I would be totally accepting of it. I'm sure it would take an adjustment period to get used to it but I wouldn't disown my kids or anything. Once again, it's not my place to judge and I'll always love my kids no matter what.

Ok, setting all the prior debates aside, it's comforting to know that you are not knowingly advocating hatred of gays or other groups to your children. I understand that when parents tell their children "it's not ok", or that if something is bad or wrong it's because they want to protect them. Unfortunately, it also can plant a seed that can alter their way of thinking for life when it comes to various other things. Most of these children grow up to form their own opinions about life and social issues but a lot of them use this message as an unofficial "permission slip" to advocate hatred and perhaps violence against certain groups of people even if you say "it's not okay to hate". This philosophy is very tricky because it's almost like sending them a mixed message - "this is wrong", "this is not okay" but "don't hate". If my child encountered a gay couple and asked about it, I would simply say something like, "in this big world, there are all different kinds of people and all different types of love to go with it", and leave it at that. Their basic awareness of this reality would not confuse their sexuality because this issue has really nothing to do about sex. However, children do understand how to feel and share love and isn't that really the cornerstone of all relationships regardless of whether the person is gay or straight - love?? If anything, carefully introducing them to the variety of human relationships if they should ask will only facillitate a more well rounded, empathetic, and loving individual as they grow older.
Just my 25 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento