Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 11:14 PM

865 posts, read 1,827,478 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am helping some family research areas they could possibly live a better retired life than in the Silicon Valley. They are looking for a modest home (3+2) with a small yard (really don't want acreage to care for) but safe safe safe is key. Lack of graffiti and people at every corner with signs would be a bonus for them in feeling safe and a change from their current situation.

Near-ish (within an hour) of a good hospital/medical center is also key, as one of them has health issues. They will likely still travel to Stanford for rare planned visits, but would need a good "home court" of health care.

I have been nudging them gently (or they might say strongly) towards Fair Oaks, but it is such a small area, I am wondering if Carmichael might be an expansion of the search area with same feel? I have only been to Fair Oaks (and Sacramento proper). I have read people here recommended Folsum, but to us non-locals we can only think of the prison - is it still a better place? Also Rancho Cordova seemed nice when I was there briefly, but I see it not recommended, correct?

Additionally, is the weather pretty uniformly hot across the board in the summer, or are their pockets which are cooler than others? They actually are beach-dwellers at heart, which is likely the biggest negative about this area, but they have come to face they can not afford to live at a beach that would suit their needs and must have not two-lane windy roads between them and proper medical care in emergencies.

They want to keep it near $250K, but I am thinking could be stretched to +/- $300K. I am seeing a lot in the area in the 250-350K range which is promising. It would need to be low or no HOA, and cannot be a condo or townhome with many steps, which is limiting in a lot of the more affordable options.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 12:11 AM

10,348 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Just looking at Realtor.com in your price range with safety in mind it's going to be really tough. The crime maps sows lots of pocket areas. El Dorado hills has more safe areas, but is another $100k. It seems like it will be hard to find anything in you price range and if you do it will be in a so so area or within a few blocks of those areas.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:12 AM

543 posts, read 1,740,757 times
Consider Folsom again. If it would make them feel better, the prison is located in Represa, CA. It has zero impact on the lives of the local population other than as a source of employment . It can't even be seen from the road and the surrounding acreage is in fact quite beautiful.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:15 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,943 times
Woodland.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:17 PM

251 posts, read 376,022 times
To be honest, it's not gonna happen at their projected budget. Maybe if it was 5 years ago but now you aren't gonna touch Fair Oaks, Carmichael or Folsom at $250k for a 3 bed 2 bath house. You may find a couple in Carmichael under $300k but not many. To get what they want in those area they would be looking at ~$325k+.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:40 PM

Thanks. As they haven't sold hteir current home yet, and it is skyrocketing in price as well, they may be able to go up to $350. I have seen a few things in their range come up in the last few months, but just am not sure if the locale is okay.

If the budget was up to $350K what would you recommend in terms of a safe and clean area?

Old 10-16-2017, 10:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I live in San Jose, and used to live in Sacramento/Davis/Woodland. Owned a condo in Davis.

Honestly, they should probably stay where they are. Moving from one urban area to another won't be different enough.

A 3 bedroom, 2 bath home is not modest! LOL.

They will be too far away from the beach to ever go to it. It will be a very long day if they try to drive to the beach and back in one day, and the only beach close enough to do that, is really Bodega Bay, and it's really ugly compared to what they're used to, and not a fun drive.

The weather will make them totally miserable compared to the milder weather in the Bay Area. The traffic won't be better. There will still be homeless people and graffiti.

They will be away from everything they know, including the medical system they know.

They are probably paying really low taxes, because the taxes are based on the original sale price of their home in CA.

Why do you want them to move? It sounds like you're really pushing them to make a bad decision - at least from my perspective at retirement age myself, and someone who knows both areas well.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I live in San Jose, and used to live in Sacramento/Davis/Woodland. Owned a condo in Davis.

Honestly, they should probably stay where they are. Moving from one urban area to another won't be different enough.

A 3 bedroom, 2 bath home is not modest! LOL.

They will be too far away from the beach to ever go to it. It will be a very long day if they try to drive to the beach and back in one day, and the only beach close enough to do that, is really Bodega Bay, and it's really ugly compared to what they're used to, and not a fun drive.

The weather will make them totally miserable compared to the milder weather in the Bay Area. The traffic won't be better. There will still be homeless people and graffiti.

They will be away from everything they know, including the medical system they know.

They are probably paying really low taxes, because the taxes are based on the original sale price of their home in CA.

Why do you want them to move? It sounds like you're really pushing them to make a bad decision - at least from my perspective at retirement age myself, and someone who knows both areas well.
Unfortunately staying put is not an option for them. I don't want them to move at all, but they have decided, for a variety of extenuating and unexpected financial circumstances that they must leave in the next several months in order to not end up homeless some day, so I'm trying to nudge them to areas which are not so far away, but safe and affordable for them. They are also looking out of state, for frame of reference.

They actually have only lived in SV area for a few years, but are also a few years older than their last "big move." They're from LA. This traffic is nothing.

A 3+2 can be modest, I was trying to indicate they're not looking for a 2000 square foot recently-built McMansion and are okay with an older style home that might need minor cosmetic updates.

So now that the "they should just stay" is out of the way, I am grateful for any input on the Sac area for this couple.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Woodland.
Thanks! I haven't heard of Woodland, what do you recommend about it?

Old 10-16-2017, 11:28 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
Consider Folsom again. If it would make them feel better, the prison is located in Represa, CA. It has zero impact on the lives of the local population other than as a source of employment . It can't even be seen from the road and the surrounding acreage is in fact quite beautiful.
I'm surprised to find a house in Folsom for under 300k, it doesn't look like much from the outside but the interior looks nice https://www.redfin.com/CA/Folsom/820.../home/19346541

And there's lots of houses in that price range in Arden Arcade, Carmichael and Fair Oaks. Here's on on Winding Way in Fair Oaks
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Fair-Oaks/.../home/19188619
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento