Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 02:41 PM

121 posts, read 158,260 times

Advertisements

From what I understand the city of Sacramento is going through somewhat of a Renaissance as far redevelopment goes and it looks like the mayor is pushing hard to make the area more attractive and relevant for tech companies looking to expand.

Based on numbers alone, I believe the outlook will be bright from this perspective for the city as the Bay area is bloated and pricey to a breaking point.

I want to hear your opinion on specific suburbs and which ones you think will continue to grow and prosper.

I'd be curious to hear your opinions for future trends for places like Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Roseville and Rocklin. We see Oracle in Rocklin and Intel in Folsom, but which place has the mindset to draw more start ups at this point? in 5 years?

Are there any other suburbs that are real sleepers in this category like Davis or maybe one that I did not mention?

I also looked up the voting record from the last election in the entire area and noticed that things get much more red as you move away from Sacramento and into these suburbs, although it looks like the Dems are starting to make a push into Folsom as some part of Folsom did vote majority for Clinton.

Do the aforementioned suburbs start to get more blue every year or do will the Right hold firm?

For anyone that has some thoughts or answers to the above I appreciate it!

Thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 04:18 PM

422 posts, read 396,801 times
Although it's perceived as a small farm town--my hometown of Woodland is planning for a Research and Technology park. With tech being lured to the region, and UCD in Woodland's back yard--this is a bright spot for potential future growth of the region with an established area specifically gearing towards R&T.

City of Woodland, California - Woodland Research & Technology Park

Along with the regions pitch to land Amazon HQ2 there was a nice article in Forbes a couple days ago. In the article they interviewed Deans and Presidents from UCD/CSUS/UOP. The new President of UCD, formally of Georgia Tech said

"May, who previously served as dean of engineering at Georgia Tech, is looking to import learnings from Atlanta -- another city that is undergoing a radical transformation -- including Technology Square, a city-based mix-used development project designed to spur innovation in the public and private sectors (the project was featured in the Harvard Business Review). “One of the strongest benefits of a technology hub like Technology Square in Atlanta is that it provides companies with access to students and faculty for employment and research opportunities. It breeds entrepreneurs.” With the help of city and commercial partners, May is looking to implement something like this in Sacramento."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/giovann.../#7aaaa2a2c75c

Old 10-23-2017, 04:59 PM

Interesting info Westaeed and the location of Woodland relative to UC Davis makes good sense.

I don't see HQ2 headed to the Sacramento area, but I do see a natural flow from the Valley to the area over time.

Atlanta has done a great job of moving tech companies in and growing them organically- GaTech is a main driver in that.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:12 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,535 times
Why not West Sacramento or Downtown instead of Woodland?

Rocklin and Folsom are dumb locations for tech hubs. Might as well have them in Tahoe.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:48 AM

6,904 posts, read 8,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheIce View Post
From what I understand the city of Sacramento is going through somewhat of a Renaissance as far redevelopment goes and it looks like the mayor is pushing hard to make the area more attractive and relevant for tech companies looking to expand.

Based on numbers alone, I believe the outlook will be bright from this perspective for the city as the Bay area is bloated and pricey to a breaking point.

I want to hear your opinion on specific suburbs and which ones you think will continue to grow and prosper.

I'd be curious to hear your opinions for future trends for places like Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Roseville and Rocklin. We see Oracle in Rocklin and Intel in Folsom, but which place has the mindset to draw more start ups at this point? in 5 years?

Are there any other suburbs that are real sleepers in this category like Davis or maybe one that I did not mention?

I also looked up the voting record from the last election in the entire area and noticed that things get much more red as you move away from Sacramento and into these suburbs, although it looks like the Dems are starting to make a push into Folsom as some part of Folsom did vote majority for Clinton.

Do the aforementioned suburbs start to get more blue every year or do will the Right hold firm?

For anyone that has some thoughts or answers to the above I appreciate it!

Thanks-
Where should high tech expansion/start-ups occur in Sacramento: Downtown(Railyards), Natomas(located within City of Sac between airport and downtown), West Sacramento(directly on the other side of the Sacramento River from downtown Sac; West Sac lies between Davis and Downtown Sac).

Sleeper areas:North Sacramento/Del Paso Heights in or near Highway 160, Arden, El Camino, Marconi. Also, In the heart of the Arden Area along Arden, Howe, El Camino, and Cal Expo.

Not sure how blue or purple South Placer County(Roseville, Rocklin) or Southwestern El Dorado County(lower foothills-El Dorado Hills, Cameron Park, Shingle Springs, Placerville) will become. Bay Area libs moving in, but they tend to be the more conservative types so Sacramento's outer ring may stay moderate/conservative --which would be California's last place of political diversity remaining with a large Metro.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Future Trend Questions for Sac and Suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Where should high tech expansion/start-ups occur in Sacramento: Downtown(Railyards), Natomas(located within City of Sac between airport and downtown), West Sacramento(directly on the other side of the Sacramento River from downtown Sac; West Sac lies between Davis and Downtown Sac).

Sleeper areas:North Sacramento/Del Paso Heights in or near Highway 160, Arden, El Camino, Marconi. Also, In the heart of the Arden Area along Arden, Howe, El Camino, and Cal Expo.

Not sure how blue or purple South Placer County(Roseville, Rocklin) or Southwestern El Dorado County(lower foothills-El Dorado Hills, Cameron Park, Shingle Springs, Placerville) will become. Bay Area libs moving in, but they tend to be the more conservative types so Sacramento's outer ring may stay moderate/conservative --which would be California's last place of political diversity remaining with a large Metro.
Chimerique,

Thanks for your comment, it was an excellent response and kind of what I was looking for.

Do you have any insights into Rocklin and Folsom as far as future tech hubs are concerned? I understand both have IT incubators and as mentioned earlier one is home to Intel and the other an Oracle office.

Should Sac State even be in the discussion as far as being a cornerstone for future technical talent of the area?

Cheers

Old 10-26-2017, 05:36 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

Not really, San Diego is still pretty moderate and politically diverse.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:55 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheIce View Post

Do you have any insights into Rocklin and Folsom as far as future tech hubs are concerned? I understand both have IT incubators and as mentioned earlier one is home to Intel and the other an Oracle office.
I heard a rumor today that Samsung tech center was coming to the S50 (Folsom Ranch) development which is in the beginning stages of infrastructure.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:50 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Why not West Sacramento or Downtown instead of Woodland?

Rocklin and Folsom are dumb locations for tech hubs. Might as well have them in Tahoe.
Rocklin and Folsom have been tech hubs since the 80s. HP, NEC, and Intel built out there because they needed a lot of space for research, assembly and warehousing facilities. Likewise, Apple built a campus in Elk Grove for the same reasons. National Semiconductor, Signetics, AMD, and others built facilities in what was undeveloped areas of the Santa Clara Valley at the time for the same reason.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:29 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,047,472 times
I'm not knowledgeable about your region as many of you are, but isn't the Sac regional growth plan to grow towards the east/foothills? I understood this strategy had its origins as a way to avoid developing areas that are currently productive agriculture lands in the valley as well as a way to avoid residential development in flood-prone areas west of downtown Sac. Isn't that why W. Sac is still such a small community? (flood potential) As far as growth in Davis: I assumed the town has a strict "no growth" mindset, which is why it's not a spill-over from Sac.

I'd enjoy hearing your opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento