Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 03:31 PM

276 posts, read 361,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Where is the link to the 40 million dollar deficit and to these proposed taxes? I'm not doubting you, but I haven't heard any of this and I can't find anything about it online.

Regarding proposed sales tax: Sacramento Mayor Steinberg proposes large fund for housing and amenities, possible sales tax hike | The Sacramento Bee

Regarding transportation tax: Sacramento bus, light rail leaders eye transportation sales tax ballot measure | The Sacramento Bee

Regarding the projected deficit: (Numbers have changed and are now $54 million.)
https://www.cityofsacramento.org/-/m...2017.pdf?la=en

Regarding the parcel tax: I can't find a link to it. The City of Davis proposed something similar and Steinberg referenced that when he was talking about proposals he would be making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 04:52 PM

42,742 posts, read 25,916,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewsLogin View Post
Regarding proposed sales tax: Sacramento Mayor Steinberg proposes large fund for housing and amenities, possible sales tax hike | The Sacramento Bee
Regarding transportation tax: Sacramento bus, light rail leaders eye transportation sales tax ballot measure | The Sacramento Bee
Regarding the projected deficit: (Numbers have changed and are now $54 million.)
https://www.cityofsacramento.org/-/m...2017.pdf?la=en
Regarding the parcel tax: I can't find a link to it. The City of Davis proposed something similar and Steinberg referenced that when he was talking about proposals he would be making.
Thanks! So it looks like the 54 million is projected assuming measure U isn't renewed? I didn't know any of this, I live in the County and hadn't even heard about the transit tax - but I did just participate in a survey sponsored by Sacramento Regional Transit, my husband and I had to install an app called RMove that tracks your travel, then you answer questions about where you went, did you pay for parking etc. It lasted for 5 days and we each get $20 for participating.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:59 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,266,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
TIA apparently doesn't even hire an accountant to make sure their stuff looks halfway believable they use the terms "debt" and "deficit" interchangeably as though they are the same thing
I didn't say TIA used those terms interchangeably. I found this information through a website that makes infographics and TIA was cited as the source. I then looked up TIA. The individual making the graphic likely confused the semantics between debt and deficit.

And from what I've found on the internet, the founder of TIA is CPA.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:36 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,634,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewsLogin View Post
I agree. But the city is looking to:

1. Extend the Measure U half cent (an increase when compared to what it would be without an extension)
2. Add half cent to the sales tax to build a playground in Old Sac
3. Add one cent to sales tax for transportation
4. Add a parcel tax to fund low income housing

Vote NO --- PLEASE!

All of these raises aren't going to its causes. Sacramento, hell--the united states as a whole, always misappropriate money.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:49 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,978,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
They don't need additional taxes. With all the tax revenue they get from property tax from new housing, they (or the county) don't need new taxes. They need to cut down on their expenditures. They waste too much money on stuff that they don't need. And good luck trying to tax from the poor...that's not going to happen. The middle class is getting squeezed out of California and the rich will find ways to evade paying high taxes.
This post right here is an example of how passionate voters are about taxes, yet have no clue where their taxes actually go.

Too many self fancied "tax experts", who do not work for government, or in the legal industry.

Only about 18% of property taxes go to the city. The majority go to the schools and the county.

This imaginary pot of money that you think the city has does not, in fact, actually exist. Get a clue dude!!!!!!

Old 01-31-2018, 10:24 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,266,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
This post right here is an example of how passionate voters are about taxes, yet have no clue where their taxes actually go.

Too many self fancied "tax experts", who do not work for government, or in the legal industry.

Only about 18% of property taxes go to the city. The majority go to the schools and the county.

This imaginary pot of money that you think the city has does not, in fact, actually exist. Get a clue dude!!!!!!

According to the Assessor's report, a little less than 11% goes to incorporated cities in Sacramento County (pg 4).

http://www.assessor.saccounty.net/Fo...rt_rev1108.pdf

Old 02-02-2018, 08:30 PM

21,658 posts, read 24,789,425 times
On the upside if you just mismanage your money worse and be like Stockton you can make it to the top 5!

Debt is an extremely limited metric for judging a cities fiscal health and really on appeals to Dave Ramsey types. It depends on what the debt is being used for and the ability of the city to carry that debt. San Francisco, for example, has a lot of debt. The debt isn't the problem. The problem is that the debt is mostly from that they spent decades choosing to not fund pensions and have a huge budget deficit ($848 million 5-year budget deficit). That's completely different than a city that took out debt to build infrastructure for a growing population with a surplus rather than taking on deficit to pay for current consumption in the form of not funding pension costs with a massive deficit.

In personal finance terms, San Francisco has credit card debt they've used buying designer clothes, eating out at fancy restaurants, going to night clubs, and vacationing in the France every summer (debt to pay for current consumption). That's completely different than another family that maybe has more debt but lives within their means and the debt consists of a mortgage on a house.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:01 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,634,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post

Ah! Now I'm enlightened!

Old 02-02-2018, 09:33 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,197,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
In personal finance terms, San Francisco has credit card debt they've used buying designer clothes, eating out at fancy restaurants, going to night clubs, and vacationing in the France every summer (debt to pay for current consumption). That's completely different than another family that maybe has more debt but lives within their means and the debt consists of a mortgage on a house.
So Sacramento has credit card debt we used to buy a big-screen TV, leatherette sectional furniture, velvet paintings of bullfighters, and a freezer full of TV dinners?

Old 02-03-2018, 10:09 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,563,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
But, if you take a look at the list of cities and their sizes, deficits and surpluses are all over the place and size doesn't appear to have a strong correlation. Regional politics doesn't appear to have much of a correlation. Dallas has a high deficit while Fresno has a surplus. Both are relatively 'fiscally conservative.' And noone is going to convince me that the homeless population is a financial burden anywhere. This country generally treats them like they have leprosy. Few politicians at any level have made much of attempt to do anything constructive to work on the problem. And I have my doubts that they come anywhere close to running up law enforcement expenses due to petty crimes. Maybe a few calls here and there, but nothing any different from an apartment complex drama queen calling 911 everytime she thinks someone else in the apartment complex looked at her wrong. Also, social services are paid for by the counties in most parts of the country.

In regards to public transportation, you would have to figure out what cities independently fund their own public transportation, or if it is shared among other cities and the local counties.
It's not really logical to argue that a city such as say, Lincoln, has the same stresses on their resources as Sac or SF. It just doesn't work that way. I could probably come up with 10 problems off of the top of my head that a major metro has that a smaller community generally won't. And yes, crime and law enforcement to deal with it is close to the top of that list. You also have to consider the varied economies in many of these larger cities. That can have a dramatic effect on the figures you're referencing, depending upon how volatile the industry is which support's the city's economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento