U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 11:53 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,317,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewsLogin View Post
If revenue from the arena is solving all of these problems:

Why is the city asking for an extension of Measure U?

Why is the city asking for an additional 1% sales tax to fix the roads?

Why is the city proposing still another additional 1% sales tax for infrastructure projects?

Why has Steinberg talked about a parcel tax to solve the homelessness issue?

Infrastructure within a few blocks of the arena has changed. However, this is just 1% of the 100 square miles that make up the city. The rest of the city deserves some attention, too.
Dude you’re out of control. Perpetual negative thinking. A native? I never posted or insinuated that the arena “solved everything”. It spurred growth and investment and there’s no denying that at this point. Even the facades of multiple buldings have changed. It brings an economic presence to Sac - and there are few of them. It has the potential to bring regional and national events which can build a tourism industry. That’s the entire point of the streetcar, multiple improvements to the immediate area. To get people to come here and spend money. Why the eff is this so hard to understand? It’s not the end all be all. It’s a start. You need these types of improvements and energy to attract a corporate presence too. It’s about building an economy that CAN do all of the things you are posting about. To hear some of you talk is like sitting on a merry go round complaing about yhe same things over, and over and over again. Never going to happen in a government town. Ever....ever. You have to work towards building an economy by attracting a presence.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 09:36 AM

8,386 posts, read 15,248,152 times
What is an "economic presence"?

Old 02-18-2018, 08:29 PM

1,941 posts, read 1,589,090 times
After Gray Davis was recalled as Governor and he was running against Arnold Schwarzenegger, he made a politically expedient choice to spike pension benefits based upon faulty actuarial assumptions which have not proven true in the intervening years. Now most government pension funds in California are underfunded. To make up the shortfall CalPers is increasing the amount of money that they demand they should receive from cities to make up for that shortfall. Politicians don't want to cut other services to pay for pension short falls, so they are looking for other sources of money.

There is a homeless problem both regionally and nationally. I have some doubts about how willing many of these homeless people are going to accept services offered, but I give Steinberg credit for trying. I think he is making a good faith effort. Homelessness is a vexing problem because a lot of the people who are homeless are mentally ill and they often don't do what seems to be in their best interest. So these types of problems are far more expensive and difficult than you can imagine.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:40 PM

3,817 posts, read 3,046,833 times
Sacramento fails so bad at public transit. Many voters are valley bumpkine who do not understand such a sophisticated issue.

Sac should have done transit like Portland. With a street car running strictly on the grid and light rail for commuters from the burbs.

Elk Grove, Florin, Galt, Antelope, Foothill Farms and Del Paso Heights should have Amtrak commuter stations as well.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:58 PM

113 posts, read 111,959 times
I’m definitely for it. I literally just got back from Portland and am insanely jealous of their transit system. I literally got off the plane, straight onto lift rail, got off in Chinatown, and walked 2 blocks to my hotel. While it’s too late for Sacramento to get light rail to our airport (im not in favor of $1bil for this atm), a street car on the grid would be amazing for navigating around. Just because light rail sucks here now doesn’t mean we should give up on public transit entirely. As wburg mentioned, there is a lot of federal/public money becoming available for Sacramento to use to build it. SB1 money is still the wild card floating out there that could also be a potential funding source. I definitely would love to see street car someday. It’s already being planned for the new I Street Bridge.

Last edited by JVinci; 03-10-2018 at 10:58 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 05-07-2018, 05:04 PM

224 posts, read 140,466 times
What do I think should be altered/removed? How about the whole thing? They rarely except during peak holiday get filled to capacity and a lot of times when Dad worked in Portland for many years he always saw half empty cars. It not only not pays for itself but messes up the roads around it. The pharmacy where he worked at was almost inaccessable during the construction of street cars that hardly anybody uses.

Better/more roads DO make sense as the majority of people DO use them. People want the freedom that comes with cars. People DON't want the government telling them they can't drive. The purpose of the car was for freedom to choose when you go from point A to point B.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:06 PM

224 posts, read 140,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactoslacker View Post
Dumb idea, the city needs to address the real problems and not spend money on frivolous streetcar venture.
Here here! Better road networks are a must and will never go out of style! Pretending otherwise is futile and your just a part of the problem not the solution.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:26 AM

304 posts, read 137,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanRabbi View Post
What do I think should be altered/removed? How about the whole thing? They rarely except during peak holiday get filled to capacity and a lot of times when Dad worked in Portland for many years he always saw half empty cars. It not only not pays for itself but messes up the roads around it. The pharmacy where he worked at was almost inaccessable during the construction of street cars that hardly anybody uses.

Better/more roads DO make sense as the majority of people DO use them. People want the freedom that comes with cars. People DON't want the government telling them they can't drive. The purpose of the car was for freedom to choose when you go from point A to point B.

How's that working out in LA ?

Old 05-14-2018, 07:44 AM

256 posts, read 299,352 times
We need better and more public transportation, for sure, but I have never understood how concentrating one expensive project in the most gentrified part of midtown is any kind of solution to our dire need for public transport for low income folks in outlying areas. I mean, the streetcar plan won't even be usable to most folks in the central city, let alone elsewhere. I am not a fan of the arena but even that was a better idea than the streetcar.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:14 PM

8,386 posts, read 15,248,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
[/b]

How's that working out in LA ?
In L.A., they're massively investing in rail transit, including light rail and are getting started on a streetcar, and that's working out pretty darn well so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or