Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 08:38 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,266,863 times

Advertisements

All of you are receiving an F for regional geography this semester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNewsLogin View Post
Do you mean the Sutter Buttes? None of the pictures I can find of the Sierra Buttes area show a conical mountain.
No, I mean the Sierra Buttes.

The Sutter Buttes is a mountain range in the middle of the Sacramento Valley consisting of volcanic peaks.

The Sierra Buttes is a volcanic formation at the north end of the Sierra Nevada consisting of several rocky peaks (buttes).

It's somewhat conical. When looking at a somewhat conical mountain from 100 miles away you are going to notice the greater detail of its profile. If you have Google Earth installed on your computer you can tilt and pan around the mountain to see what it looks like from different angles. You can actually see that it was once very conical in shape. However, the ice and glaciers of the past have carved section of the mountain. Especially on the north side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
The "Sutter Buttes" aren't high enough in elevation to warrant snow.
I didn't say it was the Sutter Buttes. I said it was the Sierra Buttes.

It does snow on the Sutter Buttes from time to time. However, the snow melts fairly rapidly below 2000 feet and most of the range is below that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 02:51 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,630,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
All of you are receiving an F for regional geography this semester.

I didn't say it was the Sutter Buttes. I said it was the Sierra Buttes.

It does snow on the Sutter Buttes from time to time. However, the snow melts fairly rapidly below 2000 feet and most of the range is below that.
Pardon moi

Old 03-09-2018, 12:57 PM

256 posts, read 365,059 times
Yeah, the Sierra Buttes are in a totally different part of the state, and the Sutter Buttes aren't snow capped. A google image search of Mount Lassen sure looks like the photo you posted.

Edit: oh, I misread the original post and thought he was looking north from Davis.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:07 PM

11 posts, read 14,628 times
The Sierra Buttes are in that general direction, but I’m not sure if they’re visible from Davis. I suppose they could be, I’ve just never looked for them. Lassen is certainly prominent but doesn’t really become visible until one gets up around Marysville/Yuba City. I’d say this is a mountain in the Nevada/Sierra/South Plumas area.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:26 AM

It's the Sierra Buttes. They are visible from Davis, end of story.

You can use this website to check viewsheds. Move the map over to Sierra Buttes and you can clearly see it is a prominent peak from Davis.

https://www.heywhatsthat.com/?view=BD7HA8XE

Old 03-20-2018, 10:16 AM

356 posts, read 698,816 times
Quote:
It's the Sierra Buttes. They are visible from Davis, end of story.

You can use this website to check viewsheds. Move the map over to Sierra Buttes and you can clearly see it is a prominent peak from Davis.

https://www.heywhatsthat.com/?view=BD7HA8XE
Cool website!

Old 03-20-2018, 12:01 PM

3,431 posts, read 5,208,141 times
Sorry, no way you could see Lassen from ground level in Davis. That's way too far away.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:09 AM

6,877 posts, read 8,177,838 times
Hey Guys, just wanted to mention how clear it was last Sunday. I was on Folsom-Auburn Road coming back from a day of Skiing at Squaw Valley. You could see a big chuck of the Sierras and Sierra foothills filled with snow, (excellent snow conditions by the way), and then you come upon Folsom Lake. It's as if you can see the whole Lake with the whole of the Sacramento Area, including downtown clear as a bell, along with The Coastal Mountain Ranges in full view as if it were just 10 miles away it was so clear. You could see Mt. Diablo(part of the Coast Ranges) clear as a bell as if it was just 10 miles away, when it was actually 100 miles away from where I was on Folsom-Auburn Road.

Folsom-Auburn Rd is one of my favorites in the Sac Area; it connects Folsom with Auburn going northeast. It's a good way to connect Highway 50 with I-80 going up to North Lake Tahoe. It's all rolling hills, big hills, mountains, valley oaks and very nice properties along the way. All green and soon everything in bloom. There are several acress points to Folsom Lake. It's a nice drive. Auburn is a great town to visit too!

Old 03-24-2018, 04:25 AM

Mt Diablo isn't that far away. It is probably around 70 miles from Folsom.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:27 AM

6,877 posts, read 8,177,838 times
Quote:
Mt Diablo isn't that far away. It is probably around 70 miles from Folsom.
I googled mapped it from my location on Folsom-Auburn Rd. and Mt. Diablo was 113 miles from my location so rounding down as the crow flies puts it around 100 miles.

The thing is you could see the Coast Ranges as if they were 5 miles away; its like the Sacramento Valley didn't separate the Sierra Foothills with the Coast Ranges. And the Sacramento Valley is about 40 miles wide in the Sacramento Area (Woodland to Roseville-38 miles) (Dixon to Folsom-45 miles).

As the crow flies, how far is the peak of Mt. Diablo(Coast Range) with Mt. Tallac(Sierras-Tahoe)? (It's a 189 mile drive.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento