Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 10:49 AM

8,846 posts, read 11,636,297 times

Advertisements

A feral cat had a litter of 5 kittens in a neighbor's backyard. The rain soaked their den. She moved her kittens to the side of my house where it is dry. I am hoping when the rain is over they will move back to their den. If they won't, what do I do? I don't want these cats on my property. In the meantime, I am feeding the mom because I don't want the kittens to suffer.

Any suggestion is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 10:59 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,513,137 times
I think the Cats forum will get you more responses OP.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/

California is chock full of rescue groups. Perhaps you could google that and find someone who would foster the lot of them?

Last edited by TerraDown; 04-07-2018 at 12:02 PM..

Old 04-08-2018, 08:39 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,656,905 times
Don't count on the cats moving away from where they are being fed! Also, you need to have the whole bunch removed and spayed/neutered, or very shortly you will have many more cats!

What county are you in? If you are anywhere near Placer County, the nice people at FieldHaven (FieldHaven Feline Center) can give you advice and assistance.

Old 04-08-2018, 09:19 AM

27 posts, read 42,080 times
Orange county has a similar problem with their homeless people.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
Don't count on the cats moving away from where they are being fed! Also, you need to have the whole bunch removed and spayed/neutered, or very shortly you will have many more cats!

What county are you in? If you are anywhere near Placer County, the nice people at FieldHaven (FieldHaven Feline Center) can give you advice and assistance.
Sacramento city.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:56 PM

Mom moved her babies somewhere else, and not at the original location. It worked out well for me, as I got to watch the mom feeding, nurturing, and protecting her babies for two days. She is just a great mom to her little kittens. Aren't all moms?

Now they are gone and I feel free.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:41 AM

42,717 posts, read 25,880,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
A feral cat had a litter of 5 kittens in a neighbor's backyard. The rain soaked their den. She moved her kittens to the side of my house where it is dry. I am hoping when the rain is over they will move back to their den. If they won't, what do I do? I don't want these cats on my property. In the meantime, I am feeding the mom because I don't want the kittens to suffer.

Any suggestion is appreciated.
If you figure it out let me know. My neighbor feeds 5 or 6 feral cats and they all crap in my front yard and have kittens under the covers on our patio furniture, oh yeah and they make crazy noises in our backyard all night. I chase them away they are back within an hour.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:36 AM

1,570 posts, read 1,365,198 times
I'm in the same boat X2 Sleepy. I have two feral cats that wandered in...both preggers of course. One had her kittens in my hen house in one of the nest boxes. Pretty smart on her part. She's totally safe from predators there. I've been trying to catch her for the longest time using a no harm trap, but she's wise to it and she is super wild, like crazy wild. If I can trap her, I'll take her to the vet's and have her spayed. The other female isn't quite as wild but you can't touch her. I think I can probably get her trapped and I'll take her in and get her fixed at least.

Question: can you spay a cat that is already pregnant? Guess I'll get a hold of my vet and ask. I'm sure it's probably way more expensive that way. Dammit! I hate people who dump off animals. They all seem to find their way to my place. Then I have to do their dirty work for them if they're so wild they can't be caught or worked on. I have a coyote that's been hanging around pretty close, so maybe he'll solve my problem for me. Hey, coyotes gotta eat too.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:43 AM

42,717 posts, read 25,880,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellen View Post
I'm in the same boat X2 Sleepy. I have two feral cats that wandered in...both preggers of course. One had her kittens in my hen house in one of the nest boxes. Pretty smart on her part. She's totally safe from predators there. I've been trying to catch her for the longest time using a no harm trap, but she's wise to it and she is super wild, like crazy wild. If I can trap her, I'll take her to the vet's and have her spayed. The other female isn't quite as wild but you can't touch her. I think I can probably get her trapped and I'll take her in and get her fixed at least.

Question: can you spay a cat that is already pregnant? Guess I'll get a hold of my vet and ask. I'm sure it's probably way more expensive that way. Dammit! I hate people who dump off animals. They all seem to find their way to my place. Then I have to do their dirty work for them if they're so wild they can't be caught or worked on. I have a coyote that's been hanging around pretty close, so maybe he'll solve my problem for me. Hey, coyotes gotta eat too.
lol yeah when we lived in Reno we had coyote behind our house, there were no feral cats to be found and not many small dogs either.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:19 PM

I am happy to report that the kittens and mom cat have been picked up and will be fixed. The kittens will be adopted and mom will probably be released back in the neighborhood. Thanks to Sacferals and Kaitlin for their work and dedication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento