U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:25 PM

585 posts, read 176,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman1 View Post
This part I somewhat disagree with. Being from SoCal I always thought a lot of the people up north have a more granola-ish dress to them (more people wearing teva-type shoes, walking shoes/hiking boots, fleeces, etc). This is noticeable in the Bay Area and especially as you move up to Portland and Seattle (I really can't speak for Sacramento...this may not be the case there). When I travel up north everyone always seems a bit more "practical" with their clothing options (the impolite term would be frumpy). Certainly the climate is a factor, but people on the east coast dress for cold, but look more polished while doing so. Not to get too far off topic.
You have a point. In Sacramento, I see a lot of people (the vast majority of them women) wear knee-high rain boots. But they're cute as well as practical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 02:14 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,435,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman1 View Post
This part I somewhat disagree with. Being from SoCal I always thought a lot of the people up north have a more granola-ish dress to them (more people wearing teva-type shoes, walking shoes/hiking boots, fleeces, etc). This is noticeable in the Bay Area and especially as you move up to Portland and Seattle (I really can't speak for Sacramento...this may not be the case there). When I travel up north everyone always seems a bit more "practical" with their clothing options (the impolite term would be frumpy). Certainly the climate is a factor, but people on the east coast dress for cold, but look more polished while doing so. Not to get too far off topic.
It does depend on where you are in NorCal, and if you are more of a visitor, then I would presume you spent most of your time in areas where that sounds about right. I grew up in NorCal, live in San Diego now, went to Berkeley, and lived in the coastal East Bay for some time. The inner Bay Area (SF, Berkeley, Oakland) definitely has that earthy vibe, although much less so than, say, in the late 90s. I would agree it's a cultural and climactic thing as you say. If you go out to Walnut Creek or Danville, though (inland suburbia), where I grew up, the weather is hot and sunny (usually 20-30 degrees warmer in summer), the demographic was never earthy like that, and the way people dress is pretty much identical to what I see in San Diego. In fact, I'd say today's demographic in suburban NorCal is pretty much the same as in suburban SoCal. The big coastal cities are a bit different. Which is to say, those suburbs are neither stylish (LA, NYC) nor granola (Berkeley), just sort of middle-of-the-road American.

Sacramento has never had that radical Berkeley, hippie thing going to any great extent, and I'd lump that squarely within the average California suburban demographic and style. You wouldn't likely see people dress any different there than in, say, Temecula or Valencia. These days, I'd say that the original hippie vibe in California has been largely replaced by a more mainstream, instagrammable aesthetic like you'll find in all the bigger cities in the state. I think this is because the real 60s and 70s hippies are all retired now, and Milennials are not adopting the tie-dye, Teva thing so much. Political causes, veganism, etc. are still very much a thing, but it's become sort of upscale and modern. And you'll see a lot of that even in Berkeley these days. A walk down Telegraph Avenue will show mostly pretty regular people, with the only hippies being the holdover vendors selling Che Guevara t shirts and tie dye shirts as almost tourist props. This is why I said things are very different now than 20 or 30 years ago. Our world (and especially our state) have lost a lot of their regional identities and become more similar and unified.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:12 PM

90 posts, read 107,658 times
Are you from Sacramento? I lived in Sacramento 25 years and would not want to live there again. Sac is very diverse, liberal, not classy, and was voted 2nd in the nation in least attractive people, after Baltimore. Other than that it's "okay". That's my take on it, at least today. Lived in LA before that, and first thing we noticed up here was the lack of over the air broadcasts, and the high per capita crime rate compared to LA.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:49 PM

1,443 posts, read 2,842,771 times
I enjoy Sacramento and think it has a lot of cool stuff, but I find something kind of strange about a lot of the populace there. People are super nice and friendly and cheery and then all the sudden for no reason at all they snap. It's like they're just waiting to snap underneath all that cheeriness. This is especially apparent in Customer Service positions.

An example: I was at a brewery, and the person at the counter greets me cheerfully and asks me if I'd like to try a sample of anything. I was deciding between two beers, so I asked if I could try a sample of (beer A) or (beer B). Yes, the correct word should have been "and" but it wasn't hard to tell what I meant. Rather than provide a sample of both, her tone suddenly changed and she snapped "well, which one? do you want a sample of (beer A) OR (beer B)?"

Old 09-21-2018, 12:45 AM

4,433 posts, read 4,444,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junie136 View Post
Are you from Sacramento? I lived in Sacramento 25 years and would not want to live there again. Sac is very diverse, liberal, not classy, and was voted 2nd in the nation in least attractive people, after Baltimore. Other than that it's "okay". That's my take on it, at least today. Lived in LA before that, and first thing we noticed up here was the lack of over the air broadcasts, and the high per capita crime rate compared to LA.
I lived in LA for many years, went to college at LA City College, Glendale College, and finally UCLA. Lived in "classy" and "trendy cool" neighborhoods from the Westside, Hollywood, Hancock Park to Loz Feliz.

What's your definition of classy: fancy cars, art collections, fancy wardrobes. LA definitely has a lot of that but it also has a ton of regular people and a ton of provincial folks who know nothing outside of their crowded suburban neighborhood, and it has a ton of renters that will never own a piece of LA real estate.

Don't get me wrong I still love LA, probably always will. Only certain parts of LA are world class, much of it is not world class, nor "classy".

Sacramento has "classy" components, it's a budding Portland/Austin, and neither of those cities are exactly "world class".

Old 09-21-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
I lived in LA for many years, went to college at LA City College, Glendale College, and finally UCLA. Lived in "classy" and "trendy cool" neighborhoods from the Westside, Hollywood, Hancock Park to Loz Feliz.

What's your definition of classy: fancy cars, art collections, fancy wardrobes. LA definitely has a lot of that but it also has a ton of regular people and a ton of provincial folks who know nothing outside of their crowded suburban neighborhood, and it has a ton of renters that will never own a piece of LA real estate.

Don't get me wrong I still love LA, probably always will. Only certain parts of LA are world class, much of it is not world class, nor "classy".

Sacramento has "classy" components, it's a budding Portland/Austin, and neither of those cities are exactly "world class".
Very accurate! People like to think of vast regions like "SoCal" or "NorCal" as being very homogeneous across hundreds of miles, but really, it's just small pockets in the major cities of either region that are unique in their flavor. Most people everywhere, I find, are pretty much the same. They watch the same shows, read the same books, eat the same foods, and shop at the same stores. I was visiting North Carolina just last month, and most people were pretty much the same there as well.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
You have a point. In Sacramento, I see a lot of people (the vast majority of them women) wear knee-high rain boots. But they're cute as well as practical.
Interesting. I assume, though, that women only wear them on rainy days, which means you wouldn't see rain boots more than 300 days a year so not a defining style of the city.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:54 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,243,179 times
Sac has a very surly culture. Not as bad as stockton, but very few refined areas.

The "wealthy" parts of Sac ie top 1% of income earning households, is few and far between. Small pocket, a street or two here, a block there, a small 15 house neighborhood with a gate and such.

Most of what Sac considers "rich" (ie median income in Granite Bay, El Dorado Hills, etc.), is just upper middle class by Coastal California standards.

Like I said, not as bad as Stocktonia, but a far cry from Marin, Malibu, and La Jolla. Literally worlds apart.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:19 PM

4,433 posts, read 4,444,018 times
Another inaccurate description by Wizard who does not even live in Sacramento, yet he his completely obsessed with Sacramento.

There are several communities within the Sacramento Metro that are upscale and classy. And your income goes a lot further in Sacramento than Los Angeles.

A larger percentage of Sacramentans have higher educations than LA as well.

I would definitely say Sacramento is a much more friendly place than LA, having lived in both places.

90% of American cities, across the nation, do not have "Marin's", "Malibu's " and "Ja Jolla's".

Malibu is only .00126 % of Los Angeles County. That's only 12,879 people out 10 Million plus people!

I lived in LA and Malibu absolutely does not represent the average Angeleno. In downtown LA alone there are 5 times more homeless people than there are people living in Malibu!

Old 09-22-2018, 08:14 AM

1,265 posts, read 631,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Another inaccurate description by Wizard who does not even live in Sacramento, yet he his completely obsessed with Sacramento.

There are several communities within the Sacramento Metro that are upscale and classy. And your income goes a lot further in Sacramento than Los Angeles.

A larger percentage of Sacramentans have higher educations than LA as well.

I would definitely say Sacramento is a much more friendly place than LA, having lived in both places.

90% of American cities, across the nation, do not have "Marin's", "Malibu's " and "Ja Jolla's".

Malibu is only .00126 % of Los Angeles County. That's only 12,879 people out 10 Million plus people!

I lived in LA and Malibu absolutely does not represent the average Angeleno. In downtown LA alone there are 5 times more homeless people than there are people living in Malibu!

What Wizard was saying is that Sacramento does not have areas that large with so much concentrated wealth like in LA, the Bay, or SD. It doesn't matter if more people in Sac on average have higher educations LA. Sacramento definitely has upscale neighborhoods, just not as many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or