Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 06:45 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
So, the University of Michigan runs Detroit's top-ranked hospital, and its medical school is located in the Detroit city limits, in the same way that UC Davis does with UC Davis Medical Center? Do significant percentages of University of Michigan faculty and students commute from Detroit, the way they do from Sacramento to UC Davis (assuming they aren't med students who go to the medical center for classes?)

15 miles represents a distance on the "extreme periphery of the metro" (the distance from the UC Davis campus to the heart of downtown Sacramento) in a metro region that stretches from Lake Tahoe to Rio Vista? How does that work? Yes, the heart of the Sacramento metropolitan region is located very close to our western edge, but no more so than the San Francisco metropolitan region, whose most densely populated city is located on the western edge of the continent (I think it's safe to say that, unlike Davis, the Farallones are out there doing their own thing.)
This is a lot of superficial rambling, that lacks a coherent point.

Davis is a college town on the periphery or the region, like Ann Arbor in Michigan. Residents of Davis do not like to associate themselves with Sac, just like Ann Arbor does not want to associate with Detroit. Both cities host schools are top tier.

How far they are from city centers, and the merit/location of their programs is superficial and irrelevant to the point. Now go to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 07:57 PM

6,900 posts, read 8,267,952 times
So not true, I have friends who live in Davis and they work in Sacramento and they enjoy Sacramento culture a lot. They are members of and season ticket holders of all sorts of various Sacramento organizations.

I very good friend of mine who is a tenured Professor at UC Davis has lived in Sacramento (McKinley Park Neighborhood) for over 25 years. Who specifically chose Sacramento over Davis to make his home, and it is a big beautiful 1940's home, completely restored and remodeled in leafy Sacramento.

Last edited by Chimérique; 10-17-2018 at 08:22 PM..

Old 10-17-2018, 09:32 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
While I am sure there are some Davis townies who never cross the Causeway because they don't like big cities like Sacramento, there are just as many folks in Roseville or Folsom who never come down to Sacramento, but they're definitely part of the Sacramento metro area, and they're farther away from downtown Sacramento than Davis. I have several friends and colleagues who live in Davis and either work in Sacramento or cited the close proximity to downtown Sacramento as a positive in favor of living in Davis. And sorry, if you're 15 minutes from downtown, you're not out on the outer perimeter of the metro region. Davis is the Sacramento region's college town, and there is simply no escaping that fact--is Wizz trying to claim they're part of the Fairfield/Vacaville metro area or something? A large proportion of UC Davis faculty and students live in Sacramento, and a significant proportion of the UC Davis campus (UCDMC) is LITERALLY WITHIN THE SACRAMENTO CITY LIMITS. When UC Davis students want to shop for something that isn't offered in Davis or go to a large concert, a lot of them head toward Sacramento--and in many cases, that's where those students grew up.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:05 PM

Burg is correct and I will add Burg is "the resident" historian for Sacramento-read his books if you want to learn about Sacramento culture and history. His stamp on Sacramento and the way he describes Sac in his books is Sacramento culture. I often don't agree with Burg's policy issues, but there is no denying that Burg is a good example of the culture that exists in Sacramento.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:45 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
While I am sure there are some Davis townies who never cross the Causeway because they don't like big cities like Sacramento, there are just as many folks in Roseville or Folsom who never come down to Sacramento, but they're definitely part of the Sacramento metro area, and they're farther away from downtown Sacramento than Davis. I have several friends and colleagues who live in Davis and either work in Sacramento or cited the close proximity to downtown Sacramento as a positive in favor of living in Davis. And sorry, if you're 15 minutes from downtown, you're not out on the outer perimeter of the metro region. Davis is the Sacramento region's college town, and there is simply no escaping that fact--is Wizz trying to claim they're part of the Fairfield/Vacaville metro area or something? A large proportion of UC Davis faculty and students live in Sacramento, and a significant proportion of the UC Davis campus (UCDMC) is LITERALLY WITHIN THE SACRAMENTO CITY LIMITS. When UC Davis students want to shop for something that isn't offered in Davis or go to a large concert, a lot of them head toward Sacramento--and in many cases, that's where those students grew up.
Actually, Davis has the state of the art Mondavi concert hall.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:31 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,280,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Actually, Davis has the state of the art Mondavi concert hall.
Mondavi Hall is swell and all, but its capacity is 1800 people, one-tenth the capacity of G1C or its predecessor Arco Arena. Performers who play arena events in Sacramento don't stop at Mondavi.

But I will agree that Mondavi is one of several really nice medium-sized concert halls in the Sacramento metro region, like the Three Stages/Harris Center for the Arts in Folsom. I assume Wizz wants to pretend Davis isn't part of the Sacramento metro region, because if you admit that, then UC Davis' academic legacy, especially its importance in avant-garde music and art, are clearly established as part of our own regional culture; same goes for the Manetti Shrem Museum, located on the other side of the UCD parking lot from Mondavi. It's very nice, but quite compact.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:04 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Davis is part of the metro. Just on the periphery.

Wburg errantly thinks a periphery has to be a perfect circle radius.

It does not. Sacramento metro is shaped like a 'K' and Davis is on the outskirts. Once you leave Davis, it is nothig buy rural
Pretty solid on the periphery.

No Davis is not Sacramento, but Davis being in the metro does make Sac more appealing.

Old 10-20-2018, 12:09 AM

Davis is big part of Sacramento. Many many people who live in Davis work in Sacramento, and many many people who live in Sacramento work in Davis. Davis is not on the periphery, rather Vacaville and Woodland are on the western periphery of the Sacramento Area.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:34 AM

Some of the historic tours are quite fun in Sacramento. Walking tours and tour on Segways. Check them out, fun way to learn about the Sacramento culture.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:29 AM

1,203 posts, read 835,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Davis is part of the metro. Just on the periphery.

Wburg errantly thinks a periphery has to be a perfect circle radius.

It does not. Sacramento metro is shaped like a 'K' and Davis is on the outskirts. Once you leave Davis, it is nothig buy rural
Pretty solid on the periphery.

No Davis is not Sacramento, but Davis being in the metro does make Sac more appealing.
Perfectly stated. I couldn't agree more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento