Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:43 AM

117 posts, read 483,880 times

Advertisements

Whenever I read forums/Sacbee comments/etc talking about Elk Grove, people call it ghetto. I even have a friend who lives in Natomas who says the same thing. However, I live in EG and the vast majority of the town is actually pretty nice. Also, crime stats for the area are just average (comparable to Roseville last I checked). So what's with the bad reputation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 12:49 AM

660 posts, read 1,075,662 times
I had a person tell me the other day that Folsom is "at least 75% Indian" because Intel has a lot of Indian employees and this white person felt threatened by them. He felt dumb when I showed him that Folsom is 75% white.

People are ignorant and racist and scared.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:29 AM

762 posts, read 2,019,003 times
Folsom seems very Indian proportionately speaking. I notice that it seems there is an Indian family or two on every street. I am not too familiar with Indian people or culture, but from what I've noticed Indians make good neighbors.
Elk Grove, although not truly ghetto, has a lot of ghetto-like thugs milling around. Natomas, too.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:11 AM

117 posts, read 483,880 times
@Hydro where are these ghetto thugs hanging out in EG and why do I never see them? The only part of EG I have run across that seems kinda bad is where it basically turns into Sacramento. Even there, though, I never see anyone who looks like, say, a gang member. Not saying there aren't any, but I don't see them. I do, for example, sometimes see people looking thuggy at the Arden Mall. But not EG.And I have certainly never seen a part of EG that looks anything like, say, Oak Park for instance..

Old 08-02-2013, 10:15 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,234,734 times
Basically, like Folsom. A lot of people freak when they see brown people.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:34 AM

793 posts, read 1,412,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Basically, like Folsom. A lot of people freak when they see brown people.
Those sort of people don't belong in California. They should move to north dakota or something.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,782,627 times
I don't have any "Indians" on my street. There is an "Intel ("indian") enclave" near Intel/Prairie Oaks. Some of the neighborhoods near there are not as well kept as other neighborhoods. I used to live over there and that was my observation on my many walks. FWIW, a lot of the wealthier "Indians" live in American River Canyon.

I'm glad we have a variety of people in California, regardless of labels placed on them by others.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:11 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,234,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
Those sort of people don't belong in California. They should move to north dakota or something.
A lot of these people are from north dakota in the first place.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:14 AM

793 posts, read 1,412,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
A lot of these people are from north dakota in the first place.
A friend of a friend came to California from Ohio. He was pretty shocked at all the brown people.
Probably the funniest example is when we were in a car, and a Filipino family walked by on the sidewalk. He looked at them for a minute and exclaimed "Boy, you guys got a lot of Mexicans here."

Old 08-02-2013, 01:44 PM

762 posts, read 2,019,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
I don't have any "Indians" on my street. There is an "Intel ("indian") enclave" near Intel/Prairie Oaks. Some of the neighborhoods near there are not as well kept as other neighborhoods. I used to live over there and that was my observation on my many walks. FWIW, a lot of the wealthier "Indians" live in American River Canyon.

I'm glad we have a variety of people in California, regardless of labels placed on them by others.

pointing out the statistics doesn't make someone not "glad" about diversity and variety. If I told you that there seems to be a lot of maple trees in American river canyon, that they provide a nice canopy of leaves and shade, but there are less of these types of trees in Lincoln, does that mean we need to put quotes around the word "maple" and pretend that the person stating these observations doesn't celebrate Arbor Day or enjoy a variety of flora and fauna?

American Indians are indigenous to America. People born in India are referred to as Indians. If you actually embrace racial diversity, you may befriend someone from India and find out that this is no racial slur. Then, if you are lucky, you will be treated to some delicious recipes most likely including coriander.

Honestly you look like you are overcompensating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento