Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 08:55 AM

48 posts, read 50,593 times

Advertisements

I can't believe I am writing this, but I want to move back to CA!

I lived to SoCal/Ventura County from 2004-2017 and belly ached from 2012-2017 about getting out of CA. I LOVED where I lived but could never get ahead moneywise. And forget about buying a home. I moved to Austin just about a year ago and I really don't like it here. I want to move back to CA but more Northern. I've been looking into the Sacremento area, specifically Folsom. I am 47 y/o no kiddies other than 1 furrbaby, a dog. Dont really care for the night life anymore. I would rather be home with a book or binge watch NetFlix. Am I CRAZY for wanting to move back?

What is weather like year round?
Are there areas in Folsom I should away from?
Can anyone tell me about the employment opportunities in the area, I work in Financial/Investment Operations field.

Really any input would be much appreciated.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 12:17 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Median price homes sold in Folsom: $511,000
Median price homes sold in Ventura: $578,000

--per Zillow as of Sept 2018

Old 11-19-2018, 01:07 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
You'll have to go 'way north to start getting into low prices. If you've never lived in NorCal, you need to do some research, starting with the data available to you on CD. I don't know what housing costs in Austin but I would bet it's a lot cheaper than here.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:10 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySoCalGirl View Post

I lived to SoCal/Ventura County from 2004-2017 and belly ached from 2012-2017 about getting out of CA. I LOVED where I lived but could never get ahead moneywise. And forget about buying a home. I moved to Austin just about a year ago and I really don't like it here. I want to move back to CA but more Northern. I've been looking into the Sacremento area, specifically Folsom. I am 47 y/o no kiddies other than 1 furrbaby, a dog. Dont really care for the night life anymore. I would rather be home with a book or binge watch NetFlix. Am I CRAZY for wanting to move back?

Can anyone tell me about the employment opportunities in the area, I work in Financial/Investment Operations field.

Thank you!!
If you click on the words "City-Data.com" at the top left of the screen you will have a place to put in a city and state name and get lot of info on an area in general. Not always current but helpful.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:30 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,957,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySoCalGirl View Post

Thank you!!
The weather in Folsom is fine except during the summer, when it is hot as hell. I been to Thailand during the hot and muggy season, Hong Kong during the summer several times, Southern China during a heat wave, and New Orleans in the summer. Sacramento summers are worse than them all. Yes, it's a dry heat, but it's the dryness that will really get to you. I'll take an entire month of 100 degree days with 80 degree dew points on the Gulf Coast over one day in Sacramento.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:54 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,262,159 times
Hello OP, Folsom and Sacramento are not nearly as hot as Austin. Folsom/Sac does NOT have month long 100 degree heat days. Sacramento summers are hands down better than Hong Kong, Southern China, the Gulf Coast and New Orleans.

I personally love the Sacramento/Folsom Area. I went hiking on a Sierra Mountain Trail last weekend; 1hr 30mins from my Sacramento home, and this week there will be 3 feet of snow on that same trail so I'll be snow skiing in Tahoe soon.

Or if I'm not ready for the snow in Tahoe I'll just stay in Sacramento, hit some beer pubs, coffee houses, and take the dogs to the American River.

Average Home Price:
Austin - $358,000
Sacramento - $320,000

August 2018 - Sacramento

HIGH temps:

100's = Zero days - heat index (3 days of actual standing temp of 100F)
90's = 11 days - (heat index)
80's = 18 days (heat index)
70's = 2 days

LOW temps:

60's = 9 days
50's = 22 days - Sacramento Summers nights and mornings are very comfortable and cool.

For 4 months, May to Sept 2018

How Many Days of 100+ Heat Index Days?

Phoenix - 117 Days

Austin - 115 Days

Las Vegas - 91 Days

Sacramento - 1 Day

If you need to take a break from the summer heat in Folsom you are 1/2 hour drive away, you would need to drive 10 hours to get away from Austin heat.

Last edited by Chimérique; 11-21-2018 at 07:53 AM..

Old 11-21-2018, 07:04 AM

543 posts, read 1,740,301 times
We are native Californians who moved back three years ago to No.Cal after 10 years in Austin. We lived within walking distance of the UT campus and loved it. As homeowners we benefitted from the years we were in Texas because real estate values were not as hard hit during the recession. Eventually, it made sense though for us to move back in order to be closer to family here. Ironically, we chose Folsom and are delighted with all the location offers. Contrary to public opinion, we have found the cost of living between Austin and Folsom to be virtually equal. The biggest difference is that although Texas has no state income tax, the property taxes are so high as to wipe out the difference. Two things are quite similar and there is no escaping them. Oppressive heat in the summer and seasonal allergies. Anyway, but for the family connection, we would be gladly living in either location. Checkout the following link to compare these and any other cities: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 11-26-2018 at 01:07 AM..

Old 11-26-2018, 08:15 AM

144 posts, read 196,534 times
I lived off and on in the early 80s' - early 90's in Northern CA in the City of Woodland, just 15 miles north of SAC and loved it there... I now live in Austin as well ( nearly 6 years now ) ... I've done my research as well and am probably moving back to the SAC area within the next year or so.... I agree that the overall COA is VERY similar between Austin and the Sacramento area ( minus Davis ) .. While I do think that Austin is great, the weather is much more tolerable in Nor Cal and the close proximity to mountains, Tahoe and SF / Bay Area make it a winner in my book...

Old 11-28-2018, 05:14 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,995,484 times
I grew up in Texas and lived many years in Austin, Houston and Dallas.

Without doubt the weather is much more tolerable here than Austin! Less humidity, and much cooler at night so you don't have to run the AC 24x7.

For sure there are pros and cons here vs. Austin, but we prefer it here and plan to stay.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:50 PM

925 posts, read 1,064,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
The weather in Folsom is fine except during the summer, when it is hot as hell. I been to Thailand during the hot and muggy season, Hong Kong during the summer several times, Southern China during a heat wave, and New Orleans in the summer. Sacramento summers are worse than them all. Yes, it's a dry heat, but it's the dryness that will really get to you. I'll take an entire month of 100 degree days with 80 degree dew points on the Gulf Coast over one day in Sacramento.
This post is hard to believe. I’ve been to all those places and their heat is MANY times worse than heat in CA. Guess everybody has different ways of feeling temperatures.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento