Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 08:01 AM

101 posts, read 134,099 times

Advertisements

I love my canoeing and fishing for trout. Always dreamed of having a cabin on a lake that's still affordable. However this would more likely be up in the mountains where too much snow for the winter would bother my liveability. So is there a large town /small city that's say no more than 3-4 hrs drive to some great lakes perhaps one where I could buy a cottage on to spend the summer and fall ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 08:05 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
All of it depends on what "affordable" means to you. Lake County (Clear Lake) and Shasta County (Lake Shasta) come to mind. Lake Tahoe is of course very popular, but likewise expensive.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:13 PM

I think Clear lake is more a warm water bass lake rather than cold water trout. For example from a city like Chico is there any nice trout fishing lakes within a 3-4 hr drive that I could buy a cabin on. OR are all the mountain lakes on US forest land with no cabins or cottage homes (more wilderness type) .YEs forget about Lake Tahoe-I couldn't afford something on that lake.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:01 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Check out Graeagle, CA in Plumas County Graeagle.com Is Your Official Guide to the Town of Graeagle and Surrounding Area.. My favorite place near Graeagle is the Lakes Basin area with numerous lakes and several "rustic" lodges with cabins Lakes Basin Recreation Area where hiking, fishing and swimming never ends

There are other lakes in Plumas County including
Lake Almanor www.visitcalifornia.com/attraction/lake-almanor
Bucks Lake Lakeshore Resort at Bucks Lake
Davis Lake Davis Lake - Fish Reports & Map

and many other lakes in the area. All this is about an hour - 90 min drive from Reno (which has a lower COL than CA and no state income tax in Nevada). I know nothing about the real estate situation, but don't expect to find a cabin right on the lake - at least at a cheap price. BTW, I don't fish - just like to hike, take pictures and I like the solitude.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:17 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,041,725 times
From Chico you are within a 3 hour drive of most of the trout fishing in upper CA. It would take you 4 hours to get up to (say) Tulelake area (right on the Oregon Border).

You could also go all-in and live in Susanville (pop just under 20K). By "all-in", I mean more rural, more mountain, less population, more snow, closer to many fishing areas, and a LOT less close to REAL cities.

Chico has the university (helping to keep avg age down) and is much closer (time-wise) to urban centers over 250K in population. And if that area is OK with you, you could look at other cities not too far from there : Oroville, Yuba city, Red Bluff, ... (Oroville isn't much of a city - it's smaller than Susanville.)

Old 12-12-2018, 02:54 PM

Yes, I figured that Chico area would be a good place to live during winter and spring . And for the summer and fall head up to a cabin on a lake somewhere. But where? I don't want to lease on US forest preserve land. Didn't see any realestate homes on Bucks Lake or Davis lake. Did see something on Lake Almanor ,but that looks more like a huge motor boat lake .I was thinking smaller in size.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:57 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
All of it depends on what "affordable" means to you. Lake County (Clear Lake) and Shasta County (Lake Shasta) come to mind. Lake Tahoe is of course very popular, but likewise expensive.
Exactly what I was thinking. Actually, there are smaller lakes in Lake County that are beautiful, and full of fish, and have canoes for rent. There are campgrounds with cheap hotel rooms and paddle boats and canoes for rent. Look at Blue Lakes, and Lower Blue Lake, northwest of Upper Lake, along 20. Also take a look at Lake Mendocino.

In the Tahoe area, south of Tahoe, check out Echo Lake. Nice and secluded, not developed/over-developed. Cabins do come up for sale.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:44 PM

YEs, I am impressed with that South Lake Tahoe area with several large lakes nearby and a lot of smaller ones. But if there is a cabin for sale on it the land is leased US forest service land. Im a bit skeptic on leased land that could end and then what? But there were a lot of homes for sale in the town of South Lake Tahoe that's darn close enough to all these lakes . I wonder what the actual town is like for shopping and services?

Old 12-16-2018, 12:17 AM

605 posts, read 335,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Check out Graeagle, CA in Plumas County Graeagle.com Is Your Official Guide to the Town of Graeagle and Surrounding Area.. My favorite place near Graeagle is the Lakes Basin area with numerous lakes and several "rustic" lodges with cabins Lakes Basin Recreation Area where hiking, fishing and swimming never ends

There are other lakes in Plumas County including
Lake Almanor www.visitcalifornia.com/attraction/lake-almanor
Bucks Lake Lakeshore Resort at Bucks Lake
Davis Lake Davis Lake - Fish Reports & Map

and many other lakes in the area. All this is about an hour - 90 min drive from Reno (which has a lower COL than CA and no state income tax in Nevada). I know nothing about the real estate situation, but don't expect to find a cabin right on the lake - at least at a cheap price. BTW, I don't fish - just like to hike, take pictures and I like the solitude.
I second the Graeagle area. Gold Lake Road between Bassets and Graeagle is where you want to own a cabin. Another nice area is Downieville, CA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento