Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 11:13 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,739,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunMoonEarth View Post
Thank you! Is that true that crime rate in East Sac is much lower than in Sac? As we're from a pretty small town in the northwest, it will take us some time to get used to life in a big city.

No problem. I did the move 2 years ago, so thought I'd be able to give persective.

I actually moved from a much bigger area to Sac. So I see Sacramento as a medium sized city, not a big city. But if you moved from a small town, it may seem like a big city.

I don't know what advice to give. I lived most recently in San Francisco, Oakland and Berkeley. They are very expensive areas, but I needed to learn some street smarts to live there. I grew up in an upper middle class smaller bay area city with very low crime. When I moved to urban areas my behavior didn't change. This led to my car getting broken into about 5 or 6 times. I left things too visible in my car.

I haven't had these issues in Sac, since I live more in the suburbs. But if you are coming from a small town, you my have to deal with some adjustments to make yourself more street smart.

You should look at crime maps. Urban areas have more crime. But you expect that, because there are so many more people. Bad areas have more crime. Go into less urban areas that look nice and you will have lower crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 11:22 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Hi Sacramento folks

We are moving to Sacramento in about 3 months or so. We are looking for housing and school for a family of three (our boy is 3 yrs old). I want a place around 15 minutes (by car) from my workplace (near Gateway center). Our budget is around $1500/month for housing and $1000 for childcare.

What are the safe areas with good schools that you guys would recommend? We're looking at the North Natomas, South Land Park, Land Park, Curtis Park, North Oak Park and East Sac because of the low crime rate and reasonable commute time to work but not sure about the school qualities in those areas.

By the way I’d rather use public transport or carpool for work. Is there any legit website or forum for finding carpool to work?

We’re finding a decent used car too (~ $15K-16K). What reputable dealer would you recommend?

Greatly appreciate any input anyone might have.
What part of town will you be working in? The problem with much of Sacramento is that the schools are hit or miss, some of them are pretty awful while others are good, but with a 3 year old at least you have a few years before you have to deal with schools. You might check rentals on a site like Zillow and if you see some places that you like I'm sure people in this thread could give you their opinion on the area.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:35 PM

40 posts, read 30,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What part of town will you be working in? The problem with much of Sacramento is that the schools are hit or miss, some of them are pretty awful while others are good, but with a 3 year old at least you have a few years before you have to deal with schools. You might check rentals on a site like Zillow and if you see some places that you like I'm sure people in this thread could give you their opinion on the area.

Thank you very much. I will be working near Gateway center area.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
This led to my car getting broken into about 5 or 6 times. I left things too visible in my car.
But if you are coming from a small town, you my have to deal with some adjustments to make yourself more street smart.
This is very true. Here we rarely lock our car or house and never had any problem. That's something we need to pay attention to when we head down here

Old 01-13-2019, 11:56 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Thank you very much. I will be working near Gateway center area.
God I'm stupid, you said that in your first post and I guess I didn't read it carefully enough, I'm sorry! I would definitely look in North Natomas There are tons of new apartments and the demographics must be pretty good because the restaurants and stores there always seem to be busy.

Old 01-14-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
God I'm stupid, you said that in your first post and I guess I didn't read it carefully enough, I'm sorry! I would definitely look in North Natomas There are tons of new apartments and the demographics must be pretty good because the restaurants and stores there always seem to be busy.
No worry I made that mistake quite often too. Thank you for your time!

Old 01-14-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
All these neighborhoods are good but near bad areas. Rent might be tough depending on what your standards are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
Rent has gotten out of control in Sacramento. And it is very competitive at this moment. Best to check property management's website to see if there are competitive price range in an area you are interested in.
Quote:
the area where you are working in the n sac area is generally not a good area. your budget could get you a 2 bed apartment, but houses would probably be higher.
Quote:
You might check rentals on a site like Zillow and if you see some places that you like I'm sure people in this thread could give you their opinion on the area.

From this apt list
https://hotpads.com/sacramento-ca-95...1000-2000&z=12

I found these listings

3301 N Park Drive https://hotpads.com/3301-n-park-dr-s...kje27/2713/pad
2501 H Street https://hotpads.com/the-elan-sacrame...816-sm22p3/pad
2410 S Street https://hotpads.com/2410-s-street-sa...16-1t7fkt9/pad
321 T Street https://hotpads.com/321-t-st-sacrame...1-sm3vau/6/pad

What do you guys think?

Old 01-14-2019, 01:11 AM

go for it. its urban with all the pros and cons. if you are in your early 20s then it's a good experience. if older then why?

Old 01-14-2019, 01:31 AM

Quote:
go for it. its urban with all the pros and cons. if you are in your early 20s then it's a good experience. if older then why?

Actually those listings are the best I could find within the price range that I set. We're in the early 30s and would prefer areas outside of downtown/midtown if possible

Old 01-14-2019, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Actually those listings are the best I could find within the price range that I set. We're in the early 30s and would prefer areas outside of downtown/midtown if possible
ok, sorry i was starting to think you are a hipster. look in Carmichael. And Fair Oaks And Rancho Cordova. Look at various neighborhoods.

Sacramento is much more than the downtown city area. The cities I listed are Sac county you listed the inner city areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento