Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 11:35 PM

576 posts, read 492,268 times

Advertisements

Sac is not like PHX at all really. It is more like if Fresno County and the East Bay had a baby, it would look something like Sacto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 12:53 AM

6,400 posts, read 8,227,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Sacramento is pretty transient too. It's not like we are some rural New England hamlet where everyone is from here. And people are surly in the Central Valley for the most part. So I don't think there is going to be any culture shock there.

Only thing that is really different is PHX has less Asians/Russians, and a lot of transplants from Chicagoland.
Idk, it feels like you're downplaying the hordes of boomers/retirees/snowbirds throughout the Valley of the Sun, along with a much deeper appreciation/tolerance for guns (open carry!), a decidedly noticeable LDS/Evangelical presence, and imo a much less of a visible/inclusive LGBT community than Sac. I feel welcome pretty much anywhere in Sac as a gay man, unlike most parts of the Phoenix area, so there's that.

It's not a fair comparison to begin with given how the Phoenix metro dwarfs the Sac metro area, but I think they're quite dissimilar, culturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Sac is not like PHX at all really. It is more like if Fresno County and the East Bay had a baby, it would look something like Sacto.
I think this is a closer approximation tbh

Old 05-27-2021, 01:57 AM

6,875 posts, read 8,169,446 times
The weather differences are significant between Sacramento and Phoenix. Sacramento is remarkably and consistently cooler at all hours of the day.

Today for example, May 26

At 8pm:

Sacramento was 77F
Phoenix was 90F

At Midnight:

Sacramento was 60F
Phoenix was 80F

Note that, even during the worst of the worst of summer heatwaves, Sacramento in never as hot as Phoenix is right now at midnight, and its still Spring. It would be headline news and people would complain for weeks if Sacramento stayed as hot as 80F at midnight in the dead of summer.

Last edited by Chimérique; 05-27-2021 at 02:17 AM..

Old 05-27-2021, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
Including Fresno?
Yes

Sacramento is the "epitome" of California, all of California. There is a little bit of every part of California; rural, suburban, urban, etc. within Sacramento. The Sacramento metro mirrors the demographics, politics, and social-economics of the whole state more than any other California city.

Sacramento is more diverse and integrated than Fresno. The Sacramento metro has a much higher educational attainment than Fresno, and Sacramento income levels are much higher than Fresno.

Sacramento is more like Phoenix than fresno regarding just about everything.

Last edited by Chimérique; 05-27-2021 at 02:18 AM..

Old 05-27-2021, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post

It's not a fair comparison to begin with given how the Phoenix metro dwarfs the Sac metro area, but I think they're quite dissimilar, culturally.
Yes, the Sacramento Metro dwarfs the fresno metro. The Sacramento metro is twice the size of the fresno metro, and the Phoenix metro is twice the size of the Sacramento metro.

Old 05-27-2021, 09:16 PM

Today for example, May 26/27

At 8pm:

Sacramento was 77F
Phoenix was 90F

At Midnight:

Sacramento was 60F
Phoenix was 80F

At 7 am in the morning, next day

Sacramento had a "feels like temp" of 51F, (actual 54F), the cold Pacific was pumping very cool air through the Delta up to Sacramento.

Phoenix was 72F - This would be considered a very unusually warm morning for Sacramento, not only in the Spring but in the dead of Summer as well, Sacramento is very very rarely as warm as 72F in the morning even in the dead of Summer.

12 hours later, at 7pm this evening May 27.

Sacramento 81F
Phoenix 97F

Phoenix has had a ozone alert for the last several days, Sacramento air has been Good.

Old 05-28-2021, 12:17 AM

83 posts, read 94,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I get the boring for boring thing. It has to be less boring than upstate SC . and the winter should probably be a little better than there also. I'm not saying I'm going to stay in Sac, just feel It out for a little bit . I've spent a little time in Vegas. I like it and would move there for the right job, but its so dirty after being in Phoenix with all the new development. I just want to live in a smaller town close to the mountains with atleast a mild winter (no snow , some cold days).

Maybe Folsom , Auburn, etc. I usually drive around 2 hours for good hiking anyways .
Check out auberry or oak hurst. They’re outside of fresno in the hills/mountains. Close to/among hiking, green and beautiful, winter temps very similar to sac. Oakhurst has Sacramento like summer weather. Auberry has fresno summer weather

Oh and they’re very very cheap

If you want to be in a city fresno or Visalia are far cheaper than Sacramento (similar to phx) they have normal boring city conveniences. Fresno has a nice zoo and some nice shopping. Visalia has a decent downtown and more trees it seems

Old 05-29-2021, 03:39 AM

576 posts, read 492,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Idk, it feels like you're downplaying the hordes of boomers/retirees/snowbirds throughout the Valley of the Sun, along with a much deeper appreciation/tolerance for guns (open carry!), a decidedly noticeable LDS/Evangelical presence, and imo a much less of a visible/inclusive LGBT community than Sac. I feel welcome pretty much anywhere in Sac as a gay man, unlike most parts of the Phoenix area, so there's that.

I think this is a closer approximation tbh
I'm not downplaying anything, I just think the factors you mention are a bit of an antiquated view of PHX and more applicable 15-20 years ago.

FWIW, the average age in SF is 38 and Sac County is 34, with Maricopa County being 36. So not really that much different than something you would see in NorCal.

AZ is definitely more conservative, but Maricopa County went 50-48 for Biden so pretty moderate there vs 61-36 for Biden in Sac County. There definitely parts of Sac metro and certain demographics that are not as tolerant to gays , it's just not as much as parts of PHX metro. Orangevale, Citrus Heights, Placer and El Dorado County suburbs are pretty hardcore Trump 2020.

I don't really think they are all that dissimilar personally. Metro areas like Vegas and Salt Lake are the same size as Sac, but way more different than PHX vs Sac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento