U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 11:51 PM

1,027 posts, read 978,109 times

Advertisements

East Sac has low crime as far as I am aware and having lived in midtown for almost 2 years, never had issues of safety or crime other than occasional homeless people hanging around that are harmless. For me, I deal with fellow state workers who commute over 2 hours daily to live in a so called primo low crime good school area like Folsom or Elk Grove and the commute stresses them out quite a bit! So find a cute 2 bedroom place in midtown or east sac under 600k easy. Walk or bike to work. Enjoy life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 11:58 PM

14,883 posts, read 10,767,886 times
FIRST HOUSE
(and possibly your last house)

I will speculate that basic necessities - shelter, clothing, food, water, sanitation, etc, will always be in demand, in our housing.

However prosperity is defined as the production, equitable trade and enjoyment of surplus usable goods and services. Along with that axiom, frugality and efficiency become paramount. Doing more with less so more can enjoy is superior to doing less with more so few can enjoy.

In that regard our basic shelter needs to drastically change to reduce consumption of resources to operate, to be resilient and disaster resistant, and be autonomous, if possible, functioning independent of utilities and distant resources. Reduced consumption of fuel, of water, of resources, will all become important when resupply is lacking. Another aspect of that change will be in shelter designed for multigenerational and extended families - possibly even unrelated adults and tenants.

We need housing that is frugal, resilient, secure, disaster resistant and autonomous; that is not a drain on our time and resources to maintain; and furthermore, contributes to our prosperity, providing far more benefits than costs.

: : : DREAM HOUSE : : :
For example, build a structure composed of insulated concrete sandwich panels (SCIP) with double the suggested insulation for the climate zone. Have airlock foyers for all exits, to minimize infiltration losses, in winter or summer. Install logical air ventilation (upper and lower vents) instead of relying on operable windows in the middle of the wall. Install insulated window shutters, interior and exterior, to reduce losses through fenestration. Have energy recovery heat exchanger ventilation. For passive ventilation, use roof top exhaust, with turbine fan cap. In hot / humid climates, a 9' - 10' high ceiling with ceiling fans is suggested. In moderate / cool climates, 8' is sufficient.

Arid / drought conditions : Israeli low water agriculture

Old 11-23-2019, 12:10 AM

Buy close to work. Avoid stress of long commute. Live happy.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:21 AM

1,362 posts, read 766,144 times
Real estate is cyclical. The market hit bottom around 2012. I'm nervous about the sustainability of the current market. My opinion, buy a home you can grow into if there is a downturn

Some homes at the lower end of your budget:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Sacramento.../home/19440144

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Folsom/231.../home/19342384

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Rancho-Cor.../home/19064927

Old 11-23-2019, 10:33 AM

Agree with you @hd4me and while I also want a home, I am waiting this out due to many things like a potential job change and drop in market prices.

Old 11-28-2019, 02:17 PM

3,817 posts, read 3,030,339 times
450 k is entry level in Folsom, for the current market.

But it's a great place to set up shop with a family.

Rancho I am kinda meh on. I'd go Roseville, Fair Oaks, Elk Grove, and Southport (West Sac), before I would do Rancho. Your milage may vary.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:06 AM

The commute from Fair Oaks, Roseville, and Elk Grove to and from downtown during commute hours is NASTY! I sure hope you don't mind long 1-2 hour traffic jams daily.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:53 PM

1,362 posts, read 766,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
450 k is entry level in Folsom, for the current market.

But it's a great place to set up shop with a family.

Rancho I am kinda meh on. I'd go Roseville, Fair Oaks, Elk Grove, and Southport (West Sac), before I would do Rancho. Your milage may vary.
The issue with Fair Oaks and West Sac are the schools. It's the same with Rancho. Unlike Folsom, there's a big difference in neighborhood schools. It really matters what schools serve the neighborhood. West Sac falls behind in school performance compared to Roseville, Rancho, Fair Oaks, and Elk Grove.

If you're thinking of Fair Oaks the area around the village is charming. But Fair Oaks, just like West Sac and Rancho has its meh areas. The area around Hazel avenue...well, just see for yourself. West Sac-Southport would be the neighborhood to consider.

Old 12-05-2019, 10:02 AM

3,817 posts, read 3,030,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
The issue with Fair Oaks and West Sac are the schools. It's the same with Rancho. Unlike Folsom, there's a big difference in neighborhood schools. It really matters what schools serve the neighborhood. West Sac falls behind in school performance compared to Roseville, Rancho, Fair Oaks, and Elk Grove.

If you're thinking of Fair Oaks the area around the village is charming. But Fair Oaks, just like West Sac and Rancho has its meh areas. The area around Hazel avenue...well, just see for yourself. West Sac-Southport would be the neighborhood to consider.
Fair Oaks biggest problem is that it is in San Jaun Unified School district. Which has declining enrollment due to an aging population. Which means no boundaries are set in stone, because they have to be tweaked yearly. But if you stay east of Sunrise, and you get zoned to Bella Vista High you should be okay. Lots of nice areas around Hazel Ave, but yea there are a few meh areas. But for the most part, it's pretty decent.

Rancho Cordova is definitely a few steps below fair oaks. I'd put Orangevale and even Carmichael above Rancho.

For over all quality of the suburbs I would say:

Granite Bay/ El Dorado Hills/Davis
Folsom/Rocklin
Roseville/Gold River
FairOaks/ Arden Arcade (East of Watt ave)/Cameron Park
Orangevale /Carmichael/Elk Grove
West Sac (South Port)/Antelope
Citrus Heights/Rancho Cordova/ Arden Arcade (West of Watt Ave)/ West Sac/ Woodland/Galt
North Highlands/Foothill Farms
Florin/Rio Linda

Old 12-05-2019, 10:57 AM

1,887 posts, read 1,563,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Fair Oaks biggest problem is that it is in San Jaun Unified School district. Which has declining enrollment due to an aging population. Which means no boundaries are set in stone, because they have to be tweaked yearly. But if you stay east of Sunrise, and you get zoned to Bella Vista High you should be okay. Lots of nice areas around Hazel Ave, but yea there are a few meh areas. But for the most part, it's pretty decent.

Rancho Cordova is definitely a few steps below fair oaks. I'd put Orangevale and even Carmichael above Rancho.

For over all quality of the suburbs I would say:

Granite Bay/ El Dorado Hills/Davis
Folsom/Rocklin
Roseville/Gold River
FairOaks/ Arden Arcade (East of Watt ave)/Cameron Park
Orangevale /Carmichael/Elk Grove
West Sac (South Port)/Antelope
Citrus Heights/Rancho Cordova/ Arden Arcade (West of Watt Ave)/ West Sac/ Woodland/Galt
North Highlands/Foothill Farms
Florin/Rio Linda
With Rancho Cordova, school districts matter. If you go to the newer areas that are in the Elk Grove school district like Anatolia, I think that area is going to do fine, the elementary schools feed into Pleasant Grove High school with lots of kids from Rancho Murietta and a fair number of gentleman farmers who moved to this area to buy lots big enough to keep horses.

But if you are in the older parts of Rancho Cordova close to highway 50 or Folsom Blvd or even the newer neighborhoods in this area, the problem is that there are some apartments and condos closer to Cordova High with some gang bangers and that area is more iffy.

As for Carmichael, the areas closer to the American River get much nicer. You have mansions over looking the American River and over looking Ancil Hoffman Park, where as the areas closer to American River College and Foothill Farms, have more apartments, more student housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or