Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2020, 09:22 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

The reason given is to 'improve the cash flow', I think the reality is that they are broke from paying off the Sheriff's lawsuits and used this to plug the hole in the budget that created

Quote:
Sacramento County has spent the vast majority of its federal coronavirus relief funds so far towards covering its Sheriff’s Office payroll, and the salaries and benefits of other public safety officers.

As part of the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act signed in March, Sacramento County received $181 million to fund necessary programs or expenses tied to the COVID-19 pandemic, or to pay for new expenses that have come up or were not planned for in the budget.

Of the nearly $148 million that the county has already spent in the last few months, more than $104 million went toward paying for salaries and benefits in the Sheriff’s Office, according to a county staff report. Another nearly $21.5 million and about $1.8 million went to the payroll and benefits of probation officers and park rangers, respectively.

The county spent less than 3% of the federal money during the last fiscal year toward public health and medical expenses. About $4 million went toward buying more personal protective equipment such as masks and hand sanitizer.

Just under $10,000 went toward contact-tracing efforts — a critical means of tracking and containing the spread of the virus that California still struggles with https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/ar...44813632.html?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 10:55 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The reason given is to 'improve the cash flow', I think the reality is that they are broke from paying off the Sheriff's lawsuits and used this to plug the hole in the budget that created
Do we know how money was spent on policing the Black Lives Matter looting/protests?

Old 08-11-2020, 11:21 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
Do we know how money was spent on policing the Black Lives Matter looting/protests?
I seriously don't see any connection to protests or looting here and wonder why you are trying to make this issue about protests?

The article details how the money was spent. It was spent for ordinary salaries of Sheriff's Dept employees, Park rangers and probation officers to "free up cash".

Quote:
...He said the county is putting about $14.3 million towards the public health department’s testing and contact tracing efforts. The rest will continue to fund the payroll of certain county employees to free up the general fund.
https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/ar...44813632.html?
Why is the County short of money? Maybe because of the money they have to pay out every year in lawsuits, or because the board of supervisors refuses to question the bloated budgets that Sheriff Jones demands every year?

https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/article243553807.html

Old 08-11-2020, 02:44 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I seriously don't see any connection to protests or looting here and wonder why you are trying to make this issue about protests?

The article details how the money was spent. It was spent for ordinary salaries of Sheriff's Dept employees, Park rangers and probation officers to "free up cash".

Why is the County short of money? Maybe because of the money they have to pay out every year in lawsuits, or because the board of supervisors refuses to question the bloated budgets that Sheriff Jones demands every year?

https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/article243553807.html
The article is gated so I can't read it. I am bring up the looting and the protests because that was a really large unexpected cost that wasn't in the budget which likely contributed to budget over runs. You were speculating that he Sherriff needs the money for the lawsuits and I am wondering if that is the only factor here, specifically how much was spent on mutual aid expenses to cover police overtime for the Black Lives Matter protests and looting downtown? I mean that went on for days, maybe even weeks likely for 24 hours a day in terms of them being on high alert. The situation was bad enough where they had to bring in and house the national guard and I am wondering how much of that that Sheriffs Department is responsible for financially? The Sherriff's department operates the local police departments for Rancho Cordova and Citrus Heights and I am not sure about Elk Grove, so if the City of Sacramento activated mutual aid during the protests, I think the expense to Sherriff could be pretty big and I am just trying to get a sense of the magnitude of that expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento