Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 12,346 times

Advertisements

Hello. Thanks for taking the time for a thoughtful response. What are the "people vibes" in Auburn vs Grass Valley? Is there a difference? Looking to buy a house on some land (I know, me and everyone else). I only know the areas from my childhood. (Waaaaayyy back when.) Are there any "sneaky cool" areas with great people still? Penn Valley? Cool? Is Nevada City too much of a drop-in "tourist destination" now? (By "now" I mean it's not so easy to find places to chill without being shoulder to shoulder with people who have the exact same idea.) I'm over the "proud to be a redneck" thing. Sorry. It was my upbringing, too. Traded my gun-rack for a walking stick. Thanks again for your enlightenment. I know these questions are always a "personal choice" thing. But I genuinely appreciate your insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 04:01 PM

413 posts, read 538,807 times
Where are you working?

Grass Valley is further from Sacramento. There are more people working in service industries and more hippy pot growers in Grass Valley/ Nevada City, but the elevation is a little higher and these communities themselves I think are a little more quaint. Auburn is a bedroom community of Roseville/Rocklin. You can find a fair number of people who moved up to Auburn to get more space and maybe some horses if they live on the outskirts of town. There are a lot less people working in service industries because Auburn is more integrated into the greater Sacramento employment center.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:10 PM

215 posts, read 186,092 times
Property = check for fire insurance before committing.

We had 5 acres in Grass Valley. Some nice people, a lot of meth heads.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,066 posts, read 80,118,318 times
My brother is finally under contract to sell his house on 5 acres in Penn Valley. Based on his experience I would suggest that as being the best chance for a good deal, but don't wait too long. It's completely remodeled, with a new well, but had been on the market since the spring. According to his realtor people moving from cities like Sacramento with working from home, and distancing has brought much more interest lately in rural areas.

He was a volunteer firefighter, and so far that area has not been affected.

Old 10-02-2020, 10:21 PM

Quaint is good. Meth, not so much. What about "walks?" Are there areas/places to go for walks without running into hordes of people with the same idea? I've seen the listed "hikes." I'm not a serious hiker. Just like to see some big nature without the people. Any recommendations? And as far as the fire thing? This is pretty much our new normal. They don't even call it "summer" in Montana anymore. It's fire season.

Old 10-28-2020, 01:23 PM

141 posts, read 532,351 times
I believe people live in small towns or in rural areas near small towns because they either can't afford a better place to live, have issues with people that don't look like them, or both. You'll find lots of diesel pick-ups with a DPF (diesel particulate filter) delete so they can bellow their FU to the establishment.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:02 PM

17 posts, read 31,292 times
My Ex Husband's homewrecking mistress lives in the GV/NC area.Some would say she is "really" friendly.

Old 11-04-2020, 10:01 PM

Ha. Not meaning to laugh at your misery. But this was artfully communicated. I shall be wary of said "friendlier" homewreckers.

Old 11-27-2020, 04:03 PM

2,473 posts, read 3,219,555 times
Lots of tattoos and bigots in pickup trucks with Trump flags in Nevada County. After six years, I cant recommend it to regular folks who have jobs and dont use meth. My 2c worth.

Old 11-27-2020, 04:38 PM

732 posts, read 385,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Lots of tattoos and bigots in pickup trucks with Trump flags in Nevada County. After six years, I cant recommend it to regular folks who have jobs and dont use meth. My 2c worth.
C'est la vie. Judging from local marches, there appear to be a whole lot more BLM advocates than anything. Thankfully no Portland-style Kristallnacht (yet) but it's still early days. Investing in the plywood industry looks like a smart move.

One thing to keep in mind about Grass Valley is that the crime rate appears to have about doubled in the last 15 years. I expect it's a combination of the vast increase of homeless combined with trimigrants. At some point the homeless camps will likely burn down the area as there is generally a hands-off policy by law enforcement and a fire always makes camping a more cheery affair.

It could well be that most of small town California has seen the same blights so it might be impossible to escape without a longer distance move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento