Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:23 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,260,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terranova View Post
Whaaaaat? You say it's nicer visually in rednecky Jacksonville, but the aerial view shows even more urban blight. Do you really know what you are talking about? Sacramento is within a couple hours drive from the Sierras and Lake Tahoe, Wine Country, and San Francisco/Marin County. What is Jacksonville close to? Southern Georgia?! Gee i wonder how they got to be called "rednecky"
The litmus test is whether I'd rather hang around Sacramento if confined to that metro area (include Auburn and Placerville) or hang around Jacksonville (include Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra, and St. Augustine). Not everyone in Jacksonville is a redneck, but some of the social indicators are low. Keep in mind that the social profiling of Sacramento city and some burbs is also low. It has many of the same problems as the small sun-scorched Central Valley towns, but within a city of 475,000. If limited to the 2 immediate cities, I'd take Jacksonville. Have you been there? And to the beaches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 07:10 PM

6,879 posts, read 8,185,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
You CANNOT effectively swim in the Pacific off of SF, and can barely do that in SoCal where most surfers use a wetsuit.
But, you certainly can SURF in the Pacific off of SF.

Any real California surfer knows they can surf just about anywhere. If you learned in the rough surf and cooler waters of California including both Northern and Southern California, you would know we can surf just about anywhere -- with a wetsuit.

It's par for the course, you use a wetsuit when the water is too cold, and adjust the type of wetsuit you use by the temp of the water. As a general rule, Northern California's use a wetsuit all year round, a thicker winter suit which covers most of the body and a lighter summer suit in the summer. In SoCal, you use the lighter suit in the winter-spring, by summer-fall you don't need a suit.

A wetsuit doesn't take the enjoyment out of surfing, it adds to it.

I surf 10 miles south of SF, and I live in Sacramento. We taught our nephew to surf in Pacifica and Santa Cruz and he lives in the foothills east of Sacramento.

You must not spend much time on the coast of California, up and down the entire coast you will see surfers (lots of them) all year round WITH WETSUITS.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
You must not spend much time on the coast of California, up and down the entire coast you will see surfers (lots of them) all year round WITH WETSUITS.
I know, but I like to swim and I don't surf. As for those guys in wet suits on boards, they look just like seals to those looking at them from below, meaning "those" who snack on seals between the Cliff House and the Farallons. No thanks.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 PM

189 posts, read 296,880 times
Quote:
The litmus test is whether I'd rather hang around Sacramento if confined to that metro area (include Auburn and Placerville) or hang around Jacksonville (include Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra, and St. Augustine). Not everyone in Jacksonville is a redneck, but some of the social indicators are low. Keep in mind that the social profiling of Sacramento city and some burbs is also low. It has many of the same problems as the small sun-scorched Central Valley towns, but within a city of 475,000. If limited to the 2 immediate cities, I'd take Jacksonville. Have you been there? And to the beaches?
I've been to the Outer Banks and Asheville, NC., and yes i do like those warm gulf stream waters.

But this is like comparing a Red Chevy to a Blue Ford in that neither is a World Class city, and both have their share of issues and downsides (humidity, mosquitos, alligators, etc. for FL) As for me, i'll take the one that offers the chance to ride in the BMW and Mercedes (Tahoe & S.F.)

I appreciate your straight talk about the Sacto area, since i am considering retiring there in 5-10 years; but i have to say that my personal preference is for being able to visit the SF/Cali coast, and Lake Tahoe/Sierras in a relatively short day trip. It all comes down to personal preference. If swimming and boating were my thing, then i'd prefer Jacksonville. Since i like hiking, mountains, big city culture (SF), and travel to other areas of California Gold (National Parks), i'd take Sacto as a relatively affordable place to retire.

I don't think your litmus test works for everybody. Why should you feel trapped in one metro area? Even if you didn't have a car, you could still get out of town on public transportation or with budget travel groups.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:48 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,203,538 times
Yeah, I'm not sure why one should have to be confined to one metro area. I like Sacramento a lot, but California has so much to see and do--I have lived here most of my life and the list of parts of the state I'd like to visit but haven't yet is still longer than the list of parts I have seen and liked. A day trip to San Francisco is nice, but so is a road trip to the Northcoast (where beachwear is a heavy coat, jeans and boots) or a weekend in Los Angeles. But I actually like it here on a full-time basis, and manage to have a good time doing it. I guess I'm just one of those "low social profile" (whatever that means) rednecks Robertpolyglot wants to avoid...talking about BMWs and Mercedes is nice, but even a Chevy or Ford seems extravagant when most of what I need or want on a daily basis is within walking distance.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
But I actually like it here on a full-time basis, and manage to have a good time doing it. I guess I'm just one of those "low social profile" (whatever that means) rednecks Robertpolyglot wants to avoid...talking about BMWs and Mercedes is nice, but even a Chevy or Ford seems extravagant when most of what I need or want on a daily basis is within walking distance.
You misunderstood. As for myself, I drive a very regular car. Many parts of Sac have a lot of "problems" - the South area for sure, the West area (West Sac), the North area (old Natomas, Richards Blvd., Del Paso) and the East area (Marconi Curve neighborhoods, Auburn Blvd. and the hooker district). None of it is even minimally appealing, even around what is/was called Country Club Plaza, off of Watt Ave. There is NOTHING to do, except go to a shopping center or maybe get coffee. Can you tell me what other highlights are offered?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
You misunderstood. As for myself, I drive a very regular car. Many parts of Sac have a lot of "problems" - the South area for sure, the West area (West Sac), the North area (old Natomas, Richards Blvd., Del Paso) and the East area (Marconi Curve neighborhoods, Auburn Blvd. and the hooker district). None of it is even minimally appealing, even around what is/was called Country Club Plaza, off of Watt Ave. There is NOTHING to do, except go to a shopping center or maybe get coffee. Can you tell me what other highlights are offered?
My god man, in these so called boring areas you can: have bbq pool parties in your backyard, ride the bike trail, take your dogs to the many parks, play soccer, tennis, softball. Kayak-raft down the American. And, yes hang out at coffee shops. How are these areas you mentioned so different than anywhere in suburbia-USA?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,330,819 times
Quote:
My god man, in these so called boring areas you can: have bbq pool parties in your backyard, ride the bike trail, take your dogs to the many parks, play soccer, tennis, softball. Kayak-raft down the American. And, yes hang out at coffee shops. How are these areas you mentioned so different than anywhere in suburbia-USA?
More trees. More choices. More individuality than "little boxes made of ticky-tacky and they all look the same."

Old 01-30-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
More trees. More choices. More individuality than "little boxes made of ticky-tacky and they all look the same."
Wow! that explains everything!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,680,461 times
Quote:
Wow! that explains everything!
Kinda does. More trees are good.

And I don't want to live in a neighborhood where if I get a running start I can jump onto my neighbors roof, or turn into my neighbors driveway if I'm not paying attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento