Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:26 PM

771 posts, read 1,575,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgaff6 View Post
I am a recent 23 yr. old female college grad from the Midwest, who will take a job with General Mills in Lodi. I'm thinking of commuting from Stockton. How long a drive is that with rush hour? What is Stockton like? I've heard it has some very rough areas. What is the nightlife like? Are there many young people there? I've heard it has a very diverse population. Would love some honest opinions. Do you think it would be better to live more towards Sacramento? Thanks!
You are going to have to autocommute regardless of whether you live in Stockton, Elk Grove or Lodi.

My suggestion would be that you consider moving to Midtown Sacramento; it isn't going to add more than about 15 minutes to your commute as you'll be reverse commuting anyway. Lodi is not that far. I think you'll find yourself terribly bored in a suburban community; there's tons of stuff (and folks your age) in Midtown. Good hunting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 07:02 PM

22 posts, read 36,819 times
Take a trip from LA to Las Vegas. Once you've traveled halfway there on I-15 find the first abandoned gas station or old house and walk into the bathroom. Look down into the toilet and you've got a pretty good idea what Stockton is like.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,315 times
Hi! I grew up in Stockton now living in Sacramento. Valley living is at best is a pick and choose moment. Stockton is at best a rough town to live. 30 years ago I would have told you it was a wonderful place to raises a family, however, today it is riddled with crime and a homeless population that lives out on the fringes. High incendent of hard drugs is a major problem now and I fear to visit any old friends that may still live there. I have a good friend who lives in Lodi and has all his life. Lodi is still small but big money has over run it is well and the whole of the area has many problems which I would not recomend to a young lady from the mid states. Commutes is the area are the same as any where else, Drive safe and leave early but save your night life for the bigger cities or further up the hill in some of our states brighter spots. Yosemite weekends are heaven to mention just one such spot. I say get out and see the area in day light and you will be able to see if it is what you will be confortable living with and there are many towns in the area close to fun spots all around you and close enough to enjoy with out any trouble. Commuteing is a fact of life here and we all do weather it is to work or to the store. By the way Stockton is divided into 4 sections East side is White(mostly poor), North is Old line rich,South is mixed Black and Hispanish(mostly poor), West is new money with golf and yatchs tied to their private entry water ways. Hope this helps you out (Galt is still a very small town with all the querks, Elk Grove is a fairly new addition of finer homes some for rent some to buy) The point is TAKE YOUR TIME, nobody comes here and gets out very easly it is no small joke we have here about a song tune with the line "Stuck in Lodi again" an old 60's rock hit. Be sure you will feel safe and comfortable.

Last edited by tweedle2; 10-24-2010 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: bad spelling word check will not respond

Old 03-17-2013, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 900 times
i live in stockton and it has ALOT of very bad areas but their is still some good left here and although we had the highest crime rate in the u.s last year it isn't to hard to find a peaceful place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento