Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 08:38 AM

209 posts, read 201,027 times

Advertisements

I live in Carmichael and it is very quiet for the most part except for the trucks due to never ending road work going on now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 10:16 PM

58 posts, read 95,754 times
I'm considering a place in Gold River now, how is the train noise from that track nearby? I'm thinking it would be about a 1/2 mile to that train track.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:11 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gz390 View Post
I moved up from Orange County for a state job and I am regretting it everyday. Currently I live right on the border of Elk Grove near Elk Grove Florin Road. Everything feels farther and there is also a lot of noise even though I live in a quiet neighborhood, I hear trains and planes often even though I am not that close to any airports or train tracks (When I first moved to Sacramento a few months ago, I lived in North Natomas and I heard loud airplane noise every morning starting at 5am but thankfully the landlord let me move). I live more than 500 feet from a main road now and I still often hear loud exhaust from vehicles at night and trains several times a day (3600 feet). I didn't do enough research before moving here and now I am just depressed all the time. I have already been here 3 months and cannot stop thinking about this horrible decision to move here.

I am just renting a room now month to month, and working from home so the situation isn't permanent. I can move and look for a different job in another state. Unfortunately my work requires me to live in the greater Sacramento area even though I am working from home. I am thinking of looking for a rental in a different neighborhood first and hopefully the experience will be better. What neighborhoods would be good if I don't want hear any noise from trains and planes but still be within a few minutes drive to stores and fast food restaurants. I feel like there are airports and train tracks every where in this city. I work near the Med Center area but prefer to live in a newer housing development that isn't so far out like Elk Grove. Is there any neighborhood like what I am looking for?
Things could be worse as you could be commuting and stuck in traffic. Also you didn't buy a home so you have the mobility to move. For trains you must be a few miles out. The vibration and especially the train horns are real ear busters.
Steer clear of nearby airports or flight patterns of planes.

Old 04-18-2021, 02:23 PM

579 posts, read 511,535 times
Man this is one weird ass thread. This dude is complaining about 10 planes flying in the sky a day. That is like normal everywhere I lived. Probably more.

I can see living out in the country, but how on earth did they survive in congested Orange County with this noise sensitivity thing? Something is going on with the OP, I think. This stuff does not add up.

Old 04-18-2021, 04:39 PM

58 posts, read 95,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Man this is one weird ass thread. This dude is complaining about 10 planes flying in the sky a day. That is like normal everywhere I lived. Probably more.

I can see living out in the country, but how on earth did they survive in congested Orange County with this noise sensitivity thing? Something is going on with the OP, I think. This stuff does not add up.
Rarely ever heard planes in OC I lived in Stanton. Maybe once a day at most. I think because Sac has 4 airports. OC only has 1. It is crazy here, considering a place in Carmichael now and webtrak hardly shows any planes flying over, but planes from SMF airport fly over the area 2 miles north of it at about 8,000 feet every morning. I'm just not sure how noticeable that would be..

Last edited by gz390; 04-18-2021 at 05:00 PM..

Old 04-20-2021, 09:53 AM

209 posts, read 201,027 times
Yeah I lived close to airport years ago in San Diego with nonstop low flying commercial jets flying overhead and got used to that so this is funny.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:23 AM

33 posts, read 24,932 times
Since I moved to Sac I have always wondered why trains sound their horns even in the middle of the night...

Old 04-20-2021, 01:40 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceandel View Post
Since I moved to Sac I have always wondered why trains sound their horns even in the middle of the night...
It's the law regarding public ...a signal warning device especially if there is someone is on the tracks.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:43 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,274,555 times
Trains are generally required to sound their horns at a grade crossing, but sometimes get special exemptions when passing through cities with a lot of grade crossings (as they generally do through Sacramento.) But if there is a special circumstance, like a grade crossing whose arms don't come down, or an idiot on the tracks, they will sound the horn anyhow to warn people that a massive thing that will kill them if they stand in front of it is approaching. They also sound their horns when they're about to start moving, to warn people to stand clear.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:06 PM

130 posts, read 159,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gz390 View Post
I moved up from Orange County for a state job and I am regretting it everyday. Currently I live right on the border of Elk Grove near Elk Grove Florin Road. Everything feels farther and there is also a lot of noise even though I live in a quiet neighborhood, I hear trains and planes often even though I am not that close to any airports or train tracks (When I first moved to Sacramento a few months ago, I lived in North Natomas and I heard loud airplane noise every morning starting at 5am but thankfully the landlord let me move). I live more than 500 feet from a main road now and I still often hear loud exhaust from vehicles at night and trains several times a day (3600 feet). I didn't do enough research before moving here and now I am just depressed all the time. I have already been here 3 months and cannot stop thinking about this horrible decision to move here.

I am just renting a room now month to month, and working from home so the situation isn't permanent. I can move and look for a different job in another state. Unfortunately my work requires me to live in the greater Sacramento area even though I am working from home. I am thinking of looking for a rental in a different neighborhood first and hopefully the experience will be better. What neighborhoods would be good if I don't want hear any noise from trains and planes but still be within a few minutes drive to stores and fast food restaurants. I feel like there are airports and train tracks every where in this city. I work near the Med Center area but prefer to live in a newer housing development that isn't so far out like Elk Grove. Is there any neighborhood like what I am looking for?
You should be fine a little sound proof engineering should do the work.
Soundproof paint + sound proof wall paper on top should help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3pQxKiGv8c

Here is also a counter video for the other video above
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sYFswA1GUM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento