Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 11:48 PM

379 posts, read 785,639 times

Advertisements

My partner and I have been living in Davis, just outside downtown, for several months (I posted an advice topic about the impending move several months ago). He is a grad student at UC Davis, scheduled to finish in 2013. I have a professional job in Davis. If we moved to Sacramento I would look for a new job in Sac itself.

My partner doesn't love Davis but likes the convenience to school. He likes being able to bike to class and being in close proximity to classmates and school activities. I have tried hard to enjoy living here, but I am coming to the conclusion that, while Davis is a nice little town, it's not working for me. I am very bored and have struggled to find anything to do in this town or to meet anyone in a similar place in life to me. And believe me, I've made an effort.

We're seriously considering a move to Midtown when our lease is up. Our apartment in Davis is making us decide by mid January if we want to renew through June 2012. I would like to be in an area with city energy, young professionals around my age (I'm in my late 20s), and a place where I can walk to amenities. I want a place where I can feel alive again... like when I did living downtown in a fun city for grad school. I also think we'd likely save money, even with commuting costs, because our rent in Davis is obscene for the Sacramento area. My partner is not thrilled about it but says he would consider it if it makes me happy.

My questions are... would I be able to find the city life I crave in Midtown to make the commute for us worthwhile? How long, realistically, would the commute be for my SO to Davis from midtown? Would it be shorter than a commute from Vacaville? (I ask because he used to commute from Vacaville to Davis.) And would it still be worth it if I couldn't find another position and had to keep commuting to Davis for my job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 11:57 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
When I lived in Davis I worked for awhile in Midtown, and the commute was a breeze. Going the other way would be even easier, I would think. I also found Davis disappointing for many reasons, and like you, tried hard to make it work, but I just didn't "fit" there. Midtown would have worked better for me, too, but my ex and I shared custody of a school-aged child at the time and since he lived with me, I lived in Davis for the schools. I moved away last July and feel like I escaped to a place that suits me much better and is far friendlier.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:53 PM

661 posts, read 690,946 times
Davis is nice (went to school there) but midtown is much, much better for living imo. People fly on 80 so the commute would be right around 20 minutes to be parked on campus (depending on starting point in the grid).

Old 12-14-2010, 01:17 AM

48 posts, read 148,280 times
Midtown is safe, nice, quiet, clean, and open minded. Especially near 21st and Capitol. I'd love to live there.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:28 PM

86 posts, read 209,752 times
NorCal-

From what you describe, Midtown would be a fit for you. Before kids, my wife and I lived on 19th & Capital. We walked everywhere, ate at the best restaurants, and truly enjoyed the environment. There are downsides. There is limited parking, watch out for parking on streets on street cleaning day (learned this the hard way), and like in every city, there is some crime.

Just look for an apartment with an assigned parking spot, don't leave valuables in your car, and be safe.

You should have a blast living there and the commute is a direct shot to UC Davis.

Allan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento