U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-21-2008, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,087 times

Advertisements

Anyone know the Hmong population of the greater Sacramento Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 04:34 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,667,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchunter View Post
Anyone know the Hmong population of the greater Sacramento Area.
it's very high in the 1000's

I remember reading about it and it was something like 4,000 in sacramento , maybe more?

Fresno has a lot more than that

Old 05-21-2008, 06:53 PM

Sacramento is home to about 17,000 Hmong.

this is from an article dated 2003, so Im sure there are more right now.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:14 PM

4,409 posts, read 10,182,923 times
Tragic stories in Wisconsin. Alot of problams between the locals and Hmong hunters. It seemed they hunted anywhere,anytime. A death occurred. Prejudice,clash of cultures, sad story. Dont know if this has been a problam in California.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:30 AM

13 posts, read 36,032 times
Nannannie: It is a class of cultures. I have a cousin that has recently retired from teaching in the Sac area and found it to be disturbing. Young girls (Elementry to Jr High) girls leaving(or being pulled from school) because they had been promised in marriage from birth. Females with an education are still not considered to be of value. I could go on and on, but I won't.... It just sad....

Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksmom View Post
Nannannie: It is a class of cultures. I have a cousin that has recently retired from teaching in the Sac area and found it to be disturbing. Young girls (Elementry to Jr High) girls leaving(or being pulled from school) because they had been promised in marriage from birth. Females with an education are still not considered to be of value. I could go on and on, but I won't.... It just sad....
the Hmongs were taken right out of the jungle primitive society into modern society

they have a whole different mind set

Old 12-15-2010, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksmom View Post
Tanksmom, its only your cousin's call about Hmong girls....please do some research first before you make such accusation. How many Hmong children you saw or known that have been dragged out of classrooms to be forced to marry huh? None, i bet, right? Its all misjudged or blown out of proportion! I am an educator, that's not true at all. oh...there is nothing promised from birth...so please don't be mislead by that!!!!

Furthermore, if your so-called cousin teacher knew that was true how come he didn't call the police? If it was true, she/he would called the police already, otherwise he might lose his/her teaching credental too. So...if /she/he didn't call, then she/he was lying. IN addition, she/he didn't know anything about Hmong people, so please don't talk about others if you don't know enough about them. oh and one more thing, every group of people has their own culture...that's a fact!!!!!

Finally, I want to remind you that we have laws in this country to protect are youngs. Obviously you don't know us at all.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:37 PM

1,963 posts, read 2,856,835 times
I don't know how many are in the Sacramento area. It was supposed to be 15,000, but a large number of them left for areas where there is a larger Hmong community, like Fresno.

Most of them originally settled in Lemon Hill. I don't think they have spread out too much in the Sacramento area, but moved away instead., The generation that has grown up here has managed to open a few businesses along Stockton Blvd in that area. I've met a few at Sacramento City College who are as American as any second, third, or fourth generation Japanese-American.

Yes, there were problems in California. Some very backwards problems. Hunting wasn't so much of a problem because they settled in very urban areas in California. When I lived in Fresno I went on a ride-along with the city code enforcement, which was basically the same type of thing people do with the police department. Things like raising chickens, sometimes other livestock, in town was common. I don't have much of an issue with people owning chickens in town as long as they make an attempt to prevent them from eating my garden. However, larger livestock can be a nuisance in city environments. They often allowed the chickens and animals in the houses, which were often poorly maintained by slumlords, and many times the Hmong contributed to the damage in their homes. There was a huge disconnect between the how they did things and how Americans did things, and for some reason it was impossible to get the point across to many of them.

Since they were in an urban environment it led to a problem with some of the kids getting into trouble. For a time there was a section of Valeria St in Central Fresno where they were involved in quite a bit of shootings. That problem isn't nearly as bad today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento