Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 09:57 PM

855 posts, read 450,860 times

Advertisements

Spent 20 years in SF so have been to Sac a number of times. Now on the East Coast. Looking to move back to NorCal this year and Sac appears a much better option than the Bay Area for us.

Affordability, looking to buy in the 500-650K range. What's complicating it is the current market where we need to sell our house is dead.

Have two kids 5 and under. I run my business from home so no need to commute into Sac daily. Have a close family member in Elk Grove. We have considered EG but also strongly like the idea of being up off 80 in the Rocklin, Roseville, Folsom area. What about Lincoln?

We enjoy outdoor activities, hiking, biking, going to parks. Love Tahoe. Like diverse food/restaurants. Proximity to Costco/Whole Foods. Would like to go into Sac to street fairs and events, Kings games, when we want.

One concern is there doesn't appear to be much housing supply in Sac right now.

Second is about half the houses hitting the market or being built are these Lennar type homes with mixed reviews and essentially no backyard. And you can see right into your neighbor's bathroom. We want some space between lots.

Any advice would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 02:30 AM

579 posts, read 512,628 times
Elk Grove, Roseville, and Rocklin all have similar median household incomes, and all kind of have the same workforce middle class cookie cutter vibe.

Elk Grove is more diverse and moderate Democrats. And Roseville/Rocklin is more conservative and white.

FWIW, Roseville is probably the most fully loaded burb, in terms of amenities. Honestly, at 650k I would look for entry level homes in Folsom. You get less bang for your buck, but it's much more of a "white collar" middle to upper middle class vibe. Which means better schools. With two kiddos, everything comes down to the schools.

But if 650k is a stretch and you are more at 550k you will want to look at those other three.

Old 04-16-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
Elk Grove, Roseville, and Rocklin all have similar median household incomes, and all kind of have the same workforce middle class cookie cutter vibe.

Elk Grove is more diverse and moderate Democrats. And Roseville/Rocklin is more conservative and white.

FWIW, Roseville is probably the most fully loaded burb, in terms of amenities. Honestly, at 650k I would look for entry level homes in Folsom. You get less bang for your buck, but it's much more of a "white collar" middle to upper middle class vibe. Which means better schools. With two kiddos, everything comes down to the schools.

But if 650k is a stretch and you are more at 550k you will want to look at those other three.
That aspect with Folsom is definitely something to consider.

An issue though is we currently have a 4 bed 2 bath house with a decent size yard. Downsizing to get into Folsom as the kids are growing is gonna be a tough sell.

Although with the stand off and lack of volume in the market right now, 4 bed 2 bath houses might hit the market at slightly lower prices later this year. Just a holding pattern for now.

How do you like Elk Grove? My sister loves it but they lucked into a house on a cul-de-sac with a large yard a few years ago. Most current inventory is houses stacked right on top of each other. That is something I hate with the newer developments in Sac.

How's the Orangevale and Fair Oaks areas? Prices look better there and you get a little more space.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:51 PM

I like Elk Grove okay. It's a large town though. It kind of hit or miss, like most of Sac County. I like the diversity, politically moderate, and family friendly amenities. Pushing 650k will easily get a 2000+ sf house 4 bedroom home, with a modest lot.

The biggest part about Elk Grove is you will have to shop more for neighborhood zoned to highest performing schools. So you kind of need to play the waiting game at your price point, and pounce on new listing zoned to the Franklin, Consumnes, and Pleasant Grove High Schools.

Orangevale is a bit too funky for my tastes. Some parts are okay, but others kind of have a trashy vibe. But then again so do a few hoods in Roseville and Elk Grove. I think it is better for folks on a more "blue collar budget" or if you need a horse property.

Fair Oaks is nice. A great setting, and more of a white, middle to upper middle class, and politically moderate type of suburb. Lot's of tree lined streets and more customers homed. A million dollar listing could be across the street from a modest 500k home. Just make sure to stay east of Sunrise Blvd, so you are zoned to the better schools.

Last edited by Valley Boy; 04-16-2023 at 07:59 PM..

Old 05-02-2023, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 4,877 times
Smile Thinking of moving to West Sac

We are moving to the area also. Facing the same dilemma of affordability vs safety/potential. Bay area houses are out of reach. We are considering Sac or nearby cities. What do you folks think of West Sacramento? Is it a good choice to land a house in the $500K--$650K range? How about the job market around? While I would like bigger lots I cannot handle old houses. Too much work and the floor plan tends to be less than desirable. Any advice or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:43 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,568,462 times
Carmichael has really nice areas too in your price range but schools can be hit or miss.

Old 05-07-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanyin2000 View Post
We are moving to the area also. Facing the same dilemma of affordability vs safety/potential. Bay area houses are out of reach. We are considering Sac or nearby cities. What do you folks think of West Sacramento? Is it a good choice to land a house in the $500K--$650K range? How about the job market around? While I would like bigger lots I cannot handle old houses. Too much work and the floor plan tends to be less than desirable. Any advice or suggestions would be highly appreciated.
West Sac is okay in the South Port neighhood, and the river front area is nice but more for childless types. The schools are meh, in West Sac too. At your price point I would check out Roseville, Rocklin, Elk Grove if you are looking for new construction and better schools.

Old 05-08-2023, 03:09 PM

Can anyone with realtor suggestions DM me?

Looking to move this summer. Rocklin, Roseville, Lincoln, Folsom, or Elk Grove. 4-5 bed, 2-3 bath. Our house is going on the market in a few weeks.

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:59 PM

Found a great house in Roseville in a great location, for a great price and made a contingent offer, as we gotta sell our home here first. Cash offer, but contingent nonetheless.

Rejected. Seller went with the lesser of the two offers as the other wasn't contingent.

I am really hoping this doesn't become a real issue. Concerned as the inventory is the lowest in the area since pre-2010. With little kids the school year becomes a factor. And the schools in Sac are idiotic with their mid-summer start dates. In NY they start Sept 15th.

Old 05-16-2023, 09:42 AM

848 posts, read 967,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
And the schools in Sac are idiotic with their mid-summer start dates. In NY they start Sept 15th.

It really is dumb. I grew up elsewhere in California, and as a kid in the 80s / 90s, I remember school didn't typically start until The day after labor day. It's been slowing creeping back ever since. What's truly stupid is that kids here in the Phoenix area start in late July to early August!! Wonder what moron thought that one up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento