U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 10:32 PM

13 posts, read 57,092 times
Default Safe areas in downtown for women

Can anyone recommend a place? Am looking for a large studio in downtown but I don't know how safe it is out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:34 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,103,608 times
I would recommend midtown. Downtown still doesn't have too many people living there.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:11 AM

3,177 posts, read 9,989,936 times
Sometimes people who have not lived there - Downtown is just Downtown.

There is Downtown, stay away from there
Midtown, I was a single woman and lived there 8 years
East Sac, not many studios but extremely safe

Old 06-04-2008, 11:18 AM

Am afraid to ask about West Sac, is it as bad as people make it out to be?

Old 06-04-2008, 11:37 AM

202 posts, read 357,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_eyes20 View Post
Am afraid to ask about West Sac, is it as bad as people make it out to be?
No. It's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. It just has a bad reputation, since it was a poor, industrial area for many years (and parts still are).

The older areas of Broderick and Bryte are still somewhat dicey and unsafe, along with the W. Capitol area, though I know a lot of redevelopment efforts are focusing on those areas. Meanwhile, the Southport area in the southwest section of the city (south of the Port of Sacramento) has seen a lot of recent development, including housing, shopping centers, a new high school, etc. Personally, I feel that West Sac has a lot of potential... it's extremely close to downtown Sacramento, has a large entertainment venue (Raley Field), easy access to Old Sacramento, and much of it is on the river, affording decent bike trails and water recreation. Bear in mind, though, that it isn't as upscale or desirable as some of the more established Sacramento neighborhoods... some may still find the lingering blue-collar feel of West Sac to be undesirable, and to each their own, I suppose. Also, certain areas of the city do have problems with gangs, drugs, and prostitution... but then again, so do (much larger) swaths of Sacramento itself, including parts of downtown.

I personally think it's a very decent suburban area, and our experience so far is that the newer areas are quiet and safe... my wife and I decided to buy our first house in Southport, which we'll be moving into this month. As far as studio apartments, I don't really know what there is out there... I know there are a couple of large apartment complexes in the Southport area. However, bear in mind that the farther down Jefferson you go in that direction, the longer your commute to downtown will be, if you're concerned about that (really, though, the longest you'll end up driving is 10-15 minutes). Studios in the older parts of West Sac... well, there you might be getting into the undesirable neighborhoods that people warn you about.

Last edited by AuburnJack; 06-04-2008 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: clarifications

Old 06-04-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnJack View Post
No. It's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. It just has a bad reputation, since it was a poor, industrial area for many years (and parts still are).

The older areas of Broderick and Bryte are still somewhat dicey and unsafe, along with the W. Capitol area, though I know a lot of redevelopment efforts are focusing on those areas. Meanwhile, the Southport area in the southwest section of the city (south of the Port of Sacramento) has seen a lot of recent development, including housing, shopping centers, a new high school, etc. Personally, I feel that West Sac has a lot of potential... it's extremely close to downtown Sacramento, has a large entertainment venue (Raley Field), easy access to Old Sacramento, and much of it is on the river, affording decent bike trails and water recreation. Bear in mind, though, that it isn't as upscale or desirable as some of the more established Sacramento neighborhoods... some may still find the lingering blue-collar feel of West Sac to be undesirable, and to each their own, I suppose. Also, certain areas of the city do have problems with gangs, drugs, and prostitution... but then again, so do (much larger) swaths of Sacramento itself, including parts of downtown.

I personally think it's a very decent suburban area, and our experience so far is that the newer areas are quiet and safe... my wife and I decided to buy our first house in Southport, which we'll be moving into this month. As far as studio apartments, I don't really know what there is out there... I know there are a couple of large apartment complexes in the Southport area. However, bear in mind that the farther down Jefferson you go in that direction, the longer your commute to downtown will be, if you're concerned about that (really, though, the longest you'll end up driving is 10-15 minutes). Studios in the older parts of West Sac... well, there you might be getting into the undesirable neighborhoods that people warn you about.
Am going to be working in West Sacramento, but I wanted to live in downtown.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:50 PM

3,177 posts, read 9,989,936 times
As a woman, I wouldn't be scared of West Sac - but I would want to live in East Sac or Midtown over West Sac anyday - because of the areas, and the availability of things to do.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:39 PM

7,404 posts, read 8,079,609 times
Aside from the residential hotels, pretty much the only residential options in downtown Sacramento are the 800 J Lofts (expensive) and Capitol Towers.

brown_eyes, midtown is right next to downtown, close enough that you can walk to it. You probably won't be able to walk to your job in West Sacramento, although several Yolobus lines do come downtown and meet up with Regional Transit bus lines.

Midtown isn't super safe but it isn't super dangerous either.

Old 06-06-2008, 04:18 PM

Thank you everyone for the help

Old 06-16-2008, 12:32 AM

I found the perfect studio, but is in 11th st. The search must continue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento