Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Sacramento: more developed town feel, cookie cutter houses, student budget, affordable houses

Old 06-15-2008, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,657 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been reading a lot of the forums on here but still have some questions about moving to the Sacramento area. I am currently living in Redding, but am starting school at Sac State in the fall, so I need to move to the Sacramento area. My boyfriend has a job that will allow him to transfer anywhere, so we are just trying to find a town that we can afford and enjoy. We are hoping to move by the end of August and would like to rent first and then buy within the next couple of years.

Right now (while I'm a student) we are only making about $60k/year, so our options are pretty limited. I like the Davis area and have family there, but the real estate seems way out of our budget. I mostly like the older, more developed feel of the town. I have lived in the Bay Area (Martinez), Chico, and Redding in the past. My boyfriend would prefer not to live right in Sacramento, so we have been looking into Rocklin, Roseville, and Folsom. I drove to Rocklin and Roseville a few weeks ago and was really surprised by the back to back track housing. Even though there are many affordable houses there, I tend to shudder at the cookie cutter houses that seem to be shoved up next to each other, with tiny little backyards. Maybe I was looking in the wrong area? I've also heard that the traffic is horrendous.

I have never been to Folsom, so I am curious about how that stacks up as far as housing prices, track housing, and feel of the town. We are looking for apartments now, but will want a house under $300k in the near future. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 08:09 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,768,413 times
Most of the newer areas in Sacramento are very cookie-cutter family areas. Unfortunately outside of Sacramento the region is very suburban.

I think Fair Oaks or Carmichael would be good choices, they are fairly close to Sac State, and older and more established.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:54 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,117,608 times
If you didn't like the Rocklin or Roseville area you likely won't like Folsom. For your taste, Carmichael, Fair Oaks, Citrus Heights or Orangevale might be more of what you would like at your price range.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:30 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,661,130 times
This is a case of two brains - I see it alot

Are you going to buy a house and raise a family in it later on? Or is it a starter home that you will sell in a few years?

If you are raising children - I will tell you what you want now will not be what you NEED when your kids arrive. If you want a home that you will have for a long time and have kids - it's best to choke it up and live in the suburbs in track home hell...

OHHHH I too didn't so that and bought "in the city" and guess what - my kids are getting a crappy education and it's not as safe to play outside as the suburbs.

We are moving to Folsom

Now if you want something kitchy and has old world charm - stick to the areas close to Sac State like, Midtown, East Sac, River Park, Land Park or Curtis Park. But they come at a high high price. think 400K ffor a TINY house

Or 400K for a nice sized clean suburb home in Folsom.

So ask yourself how long you want to stay in the house - THEN decide to jump into buying one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento